Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 04 Apr 2017 (Tuesday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Printers?

DarthLopez
36 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Apr 04, 2017 22:48 |  #1

Any thoughts?

My Photo Gallery So far (external link)

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,798 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 04, 2017 23:14 |  #2

What size do you want/need?

The Canon Pro-100/10 and 1 are excellent. The PRO-100 prints amazingly good and can sometimes be found for next to nothing due to bundles.
I have the PRO-10 and love it. Ink can get expensive but Canon pretty much give the paper away from free.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

DarthLopez
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Apr 04, 2017 23:42 |  #3

Well If i'm being honest I'm thinking I might try doing something a bit more professional. I've only taken like 1400 pictures so far and I'm getting pretty familiar with my camera. I'm not the best but I think with the software I have and the quality I can take It'd be nice.

I'm a former headphoto tech for walgreens so I'm basically looking to cut a middle man film printer out. I know how expensive it can get on the personal end but I also know our printers while great, are very prone to break down and image quality can very largely from the crew in a given photo department.

I want to be able to print 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 and similarly sized photos on my own with a reasonable expectation of consistent quality from my ink and printer. My current office printer will not do. It's not a travesty but it's simply not geared for photo or image printing. It's an office printer.

Low ink cost and high quality would be preferable but i realize it's unrealistic So basically anything that's going to give me clear well developed images in those sizes, that would also be likely to please potential clients.

Alternatively I do have a good cost effective Walgreens where I work now as a Pharmacy Tech that I can totally use my 15-25% discount off to basically make the photo department my personal printer. But assuming I want to cut that out. What would be a decent replacement. (Once Our LFP is fixed i plan on testing canvas out for some of the shots i have taken to see how they turn out.)

Those are my thoughts so far.

My Photo Gallery So far (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,798 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 04, 2017 23:50 |  #4

The PRO-1 is a professional printer with large inkwells. I guess it's all about the quantity you think you might print. All three of those Canon printers are really, really good. Since you probably know a bit about color correction I think you would figure them out easily given just a little bit of time. The PRO-100 and 10 are not fast though. Not sure about the PRO-1 because I've never seen one.

The new imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 will print even larger, has more ink capacity and is faster.
https://shop.usa.canon​.com …fessional-inkjet-printers (external link)

Also look into Epson offerings.
https://epson.com …ork/Printers/Ph​oto/c/w120 (external link)

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,798 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 04, 2017 23:51 |  #5

Some print cost analysis here...
http://www.redrivercat​alog.com/cost-of-inkjet-printing.html (external link)

Nogo
I could have been worse....
6,752 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Apr 05, 2017 00:15 |  #6

I have the Canon Pro 100 and a Canon 9000. The thing I like about the Canon printers is that their printheads seem to clog less than their competition. I have never had a ink cartridge or print head clog even though it is often months between print jobs.

If I printed several times a week, I would probably get a Epson because they have printers that print larger than 13 x 19 that are not thousands of dollars. But, for my uses, the Canon wins but mainly because of the fact that I print only a few times a year.

My advise would be to get a Canon 100 from someone who bought a bundle and is willing to sell it cheap if you just plan to print occasionally. If you plan to print daily or several times a week, then the Epson would also be worth considering.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

mikeearly
131 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 05, 2017 05:25 |  #7

I've had a number of Epson, HP and Canon high quality ink jet printers over the past 20 years and each one was great for what it was designed to do .... until it wasn't! It seems that the life span on high quality ink jets is not in synch with how I print -- very sporadically :) I will go for long periods at a time when I don't make any prints and then I find myself making dozens at once. Now trying to follow the guidance of my newest Canon and trying to make a print at least once a week -- and that has even been a challenge :)

The Epson printers were great until the heads started plugging up and then it took a massive amount of effort to clean them up so I could make a print. I switched to HP for my big (20"+) work for a while and loved the fact that the print heads were easily replaceable - also loved I could make my own profiles - but then one morning it would not start up and the fees to have someone come look at it (it was out of warranty) was horrendous. That HP was replaced by a Canon IPF 2000 and so far (about a year) it has been great.

My current printers are my Epson 4880 (the inks have much improved in terms of not clotting) and the Canon 2000.

At the size you are looking for I think it is really going to depend on which features and usability of the Canon, Epson or HP turns you on the most. Each is going to have its fan base but to me they are all relatively similar. YMMV

Mike Early
http://www.mdephoto.co​m (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,923 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 05, 2017 16:14 |  #8

I found the lifespan of consumer level inkjet printers to be 1-2 years. I gave up on them and I use a laser printer at home now, which obviously won't do photos well.

If you want a good printer that will last, it will cost you. Then you have to buy paper, inj, repairs, and probably replace it occasionally anyway. Then when you do print something you'll probably print 5 copies, at least to start with, until you get really good at it. Because most people have limited wall space you may never get really good at it.

IMHO you're far better off using a pro lab for printing.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
2,245 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 08, 2018 18:10 |  #9

I just ordered a Canon PIXMA PRO-100 from B&H. Currently has a $250 rebate (until 1/31) so effective cost is $149--but you also get free paper worth $49 so essentially it is $100 right now.

I bought a new Epson a couple of months ago--one of the ones with the large inkwells (no cartridges) because I figured it would be cheaper to use (was advertised as coming with 2 years' worth of ink) & I was sick of buying expensive cartridges.

I have been very disappointed in the Epson, for a couple of reasons. I went several weeks without using it and the print heads clogged up really, really badly. It took THREE times (three cleaning cycles) to get the print heads completely clean so that it would print correctly again (and by correctly, I mean without streaks, missing lines, and missing colors). Cleaning the print heads uses up quite a bit of ink. On top of that, the photos it prints aren't very good and the quality of other documents is also just so-so. I bought the Epson because I was tired of paying a lot for ink, but I am not sure, at this point, that having cheap ink is very helpful when the print heads have a clogging problem and you have to waste so much ink (not to mention time) cleaning them.

I had considered the PIXMA PRO-100 at the time I bought the Epson but had dismissed it due to cost of ink. Now I am ending up purchasing it anyway, in addition to the money that I have already spent on the Epson. The Epson will still be used for fast, unimportant printing, but I am going to have to make sure to use it several times a week to hopefully reduce clogs, and what it prints doesn't look that great anyway. The ink for the PIXMA PRO-100 is expensive but at least you can order the individual colors, so perhaps that will help, and if the reviews are true, the photos should be acceptable.

5D Mark II / 24-70 2.8 L / 70-200 4.0 IS L / 35 2.0 / 50 1.8 STM / 85 1.8 / 100 2.8 Macro / 15 2.8 Fisheye / S95
Feedback
:)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,720 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 09, 2018 05:40 |  #10

I would say that if you only want up to 12×8 or so then any of the Canon Pixma printers will do the job, especially if you stick to Canon OEM papers and ink for the quality boost they seem to get you. I have had my Pixma MG5150 for as long as I have had any printer and it's still OK, touch wood.

If I were in the US I would be all over the Pro 100s, it is such a good deal for you guys. Here it is like a $489 printer, including our 20% VAT. As well as having to pay top prices for the printer we also never seem to get discounts on Canon OEM inks and papers, so printing at home is a really expensive proposition. If I had access to the US discount prices, and the ability to buy in bulk when they have sales, I would be willing to accept marginally higher costs per print, for the satisfaction and immediacy of home printing. I used to have a full colour darkroom at home at one time. So am used to being in control from start to finish in the photographic process.

I have also found a really cheap lab, that does top quality work. To print an A4 (close to 12×8 size) on Canon Platinum Pro PT1 paper, using OEM ink costs about £2.60 in consumables. To move to A3, which is twice the area, and is just a little smaller in area to 16×12, would just about push the cost to £5. The lab that I use offers prints on Fuji Crystal Archive, in gloss or luster at £1.15 for a 16×12! Even once you add on the shipping, which is £5 for standard post, which usually arrives next day by 12 for me, including Saturdays, still makes it cheaper than printing at home if I have more than two prints made. Every print that the lab has done for me has been a perfect match for the one I see in Lr in Soft Proof.

Given the prices the lab charges I now just print everything at 16×12, and almost never bother with printing smaller at home. If you are going to hand round prints, there is nothing like making a statement with a 16×12.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 09, 2018 11:00 |  #11

I have the Pro100 and it's been good. If you use Precision Colors refill ink it's quite cheap to refill and the ink is considered one of the best if not the best refill ink out there https://www.precisionc​olors.com/ (external link)

I would love to get a Pro-10 but the price compared to the Pro-100 was too great and at the time I didn't have the cash.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

filmuser
183 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2016

Jan 11, 2018 11:10 |  #12

Pro 1000 print head is 2/3 the cost of new printer. ouch.

sponsored links

1,984 views & 11 likes for this thread
Best Printers?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.