Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Jan 2018 (Friday) 11:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3rd party Canon RT transmitters (Phottix Laso / Yongnuo YN-E3-RT)

rh18
148 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 12, 2018 11:59 |  #1

I was considering either the Phottix Laso or Yongnuo YN-E3-RT as a cheaper alternative to the Canon transmitter but I have a couple concerns that I can't find a clear answer to, so I'm hoping the POTN collective might have some first hand experience with either of these to get some clarity. I will be using the trigger with either an 80D or 6DII and 430EX III RT speedlights.

I really like the Phottix Laso, it seems to be well liked and have good build quality but it has a note in the product features (external link) that says, "Group flash is not possible with cameras released before and up to 2011, flash sync speed will be one stop slower then normal sync speed." I can't tell if the second part of that statement applies to ALL cameras or just older cameras. Being stuck at 1/90 on the 6D would... suck. Anyone know if this sync speed limitation in group mode affects newer cameras?

The Yongnuo transmitter would probably also work for me but I've read several reviews that state having problems specifically with the 430EX III RT, even with the latest firmware. Anyone with first hand knowledge?

Gear and Feedback | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
echelonphoto
107 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2001

Jan 14, 2018 09:57 |  #2

I can help you with your questions. I have used the Laso system with my Canon 6d's for two years. A very reliable system and works well in every aspect....HSS, TTL , manual, group mode. I had receivers attached to my AD360II and a Yongnuo 600rt. I also used the Canon 430ex3 on one camera as a controller for the remote flashes and also as an on camera fill. Did events for two years with this setup. I have now switched to Sony...so I have for sale one transmitter and two receivers. Here's the ad.

https://philadelphia.c​raigslist.org …itter-and/6451235113.html (external link)

They are still available...also have the Canon 430exIII available...amazingly powerful for its size and did the job professionally.

You can call me at 609 519 0438 if you have any questions.

echelonphoto
107 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jan 14, 2018 09:59 |  #3

I also used the Yongnuo yn rt and its was less reliable and of course, only worked with Yongnuo products.

rh18
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 14, 2018 13:05 as a reply to  @ echelonphoto's post |  #4

Awesome - thanks for the info. So with the 6D, you were able to get the normal sync speed (1/180) using the Laso?

Nick5
Goldmember
2,965 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 15, 2018 08:39 |  #5

rh18 wrote in post #18539415 (external link)
I was considering either the Phottix Laso or Yongnuo YN-E3-RT as a cheaper alternative to the Canon transmitter but I have a couple concerns that I can't find a clear answer to, so I'm hoping the POTN collective might have some first hand experience with either of these to get some clarity. I will be using the trigger with either an 80D or 6DII and 430EX III RT speedlights.

I really like the Phottix Laso, it seems to be well liked and have good build quality but it has a note in the product features (external link) that says, "Group flash is not possible with cameras released before and up to 2011, flash sync speed will be one stop slower then normal sync speed." I can't tell if the second part of that statement applies to ALL cameras or just older cameras. Being stuck at 1/90 on the 6D would... suck. Anyone know if this sync speed limitation in group mode affects newer cameras?

The Yongnuo transmitter would probably also work for me but I've read several reviews that state having problems specifically with the 430EX III RT, even with the latest firmware. Anyone with first hand knowledge?

RH.
I was one of the early "jump in" to the Canon 600 EX-RT, ST-E3 RT Sytem when first introduced in the spring of 2012. At that time I was shooting a pair of 7D's, a Pre-2012 designed camera. Although Canon in their model stated that Sync speed was reduced by 1 Stop and High Speed Sync was not available on my 7D, it actually worked. Also Group Mode would not work. They were correct on Group Mode.
Having upgraded to 5D MarkIII's in the meantime, Group Mode is king.
Although their are cheaper units on the market, I know that when Canon releases a new camera, I don't have to wait for software updates. Having 5 600's and ST-E3 RT Transmitters has allowed me to shoot heavily with confidence before the other options hit the market.
Sure it cost more, but reliability on the job is key. And if anything should need service, the Canon repair facility along with CPS membership allows me two day turn around all in less than a 90 minute drive from home.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,415 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 15, 2018 09:59 |  #6

OT, but a 2001 member returning to POTN! Wow. :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

rh18
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 15, 2018 10:14 |  #7

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18541313 (external link)
OT, but a 2001 member returning to POTN! Wow. :)

POTN celebrity replied in one of my threads. WOW! :)

rh18
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 15, 2018 10:20 |  #8

Nick,
Thanks, and I agree with your thoughts. If I was doing this professionally, I would definitely be a strong lean towards the ST-E3-RT for the reasons you mention (and would still consider a used one at the right price). Since I'm doing this as a hobby though, I try to find places where I can save a buck or two - without too much compromise.

echelonphoto
107 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jan 15, 2018 11:32 as a reply to  @ rh18's post |  #9

I believe the sync was normal....but shooting outdoors in AV mode...it automatically switches to HSS anyway. In the studio...I always set sync to 160.

echelonphoto
107 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jan 15, 2018 11:34 as a reply to  @ Nick5's post |  #10

I can unequivocally say the Laso unit is better than the canon unit....I have had both...plus the canon cannot control off brand flashes like the Laso system can.

rh18
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 15, 2018 12:08 |  #11

echelonphoto wrote in post #18541407 (external link)
I believe the sync was normal....but shooting outdoors in AV mode...it automatically switches to HSS anyway. In the studio...I always set sync to 160.

Appreciate the info.

echelonphoto
107 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Post edited 6 months ago by echelonphoto.

Jan 15, 2018 13:56 as a reply to  @ rh18's post |  #12

Here is a setup I used with the laso. Transmitter on 6d. Main ad360 w laso receiver, ad160 fill w laso receiver, 430exIII for hair light, Yongnuo 600 exrt for background light. Note that I was able to control the canon flash AND yongnuo flash without need for any separate receivers.
This was all done in group mode.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

rh18
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 15, 2018 18:31 as a reply to  @ echelonphoto's post |  #13

Nice setup and result!

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,229 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 15, 2018 19:26 |  #14

I haven't had any issues using the Yongnuo YN-E3-RT with both Canon 600EX RTs and Yongnuo YN600EX RTs. Grouping, sync speeds, control with the transmitter menu or camera menu....all seem to work the same with my Youngnuo and Canon 600RT speedlites. At least with the 600RT II, I've read it can usually start working with up to date firmware....not sure about the status with the 400EX III.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

rh18
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 15, 2018 20:09 |  #15

davesrose wrote in post #18541832 (external link)
not sure about the status with the 400EX III.

That's the issue for me - I have 430ex III's. Seems to be mixed results from reviews. Some people claim to have problems even with the most recent firmware.

sponsored links

2,665 views & 4 likes for this thread
3rd party Canon RT transmitters (Phottix Laso / Yongnuo YN-E3-RT)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.