Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 12 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 13:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Laptop help (Mac) upgrade

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,229 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 14, 2017 20:51 as a reply to  @ post 18472808 |  #16

It doesn't appear like any of the posters on this thread are gamers intent on picking fights (other then your posts that are drawing outlandish generalities and personal insults).

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
superclarkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 15, 2017 21:21 |  #17

I appreciate the feedback.

Well no point fighting over which is better, I only asked if for my needs which would suit me better and I think the answer is going to be Apple. I like to keep an open mind and if there was something that was better value then I would defo look into it.

I just can’t help but remembering how many times I had to “re-install” windows to sort issues or do this or that constantly... in all my years of Mac it’s never crashed, never asked me to stop what I’m doing and spend hours re-installing stuff or fixing stuff just carry on working and updates in the back ground etc.

For me that is how I expect it to work and if I have to pay a premium for that so be it. Apple care and online chat is brilliant too, few issues I’ve had they have sorted in mins and I’ve carried on!!

So do I need a top spec MacBook Pro for editing or can I get away with say the 13inch base model? If I can save some money I’m all up for that... :-)

Only thing that smashes the iMac is rendering 4K video time lapses from lightroom, with 30-40MB RAW files, can get the machine fairly warm... but I can do that on the larger machine no problem, so more just for on the go working machine to do editing on the go.

I would be happy with a basic 12inch if it could get the job done. I don’t care for the touch bar whatsoever.

The ports are going to annoy me for sure but that’s how it is so can’t complain too much.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Canon EOS 5D mk IV
Canon 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L USM mk II
Canon 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L USM IS mk II

Osa713
Goldmember
1,147 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 15, 2017 22:48 |  #18

superclarkey wrote in post #18473569 (external link)
I appreciate the feedback.

Well no point fighting over which is better, I only asked if for my needs which would suit me better and I think the answer is going to be Apple. I like to keep an open mind and if there was something that was better value then I would defo look into it.

I just can’t help but remembering how many times I had to “re-install” windows to sort issues or do this or that constantly... in all my years of Mac it’s never crashed, never asked me to stop what I’m doing and spend hours re-installing stuff or fixing stuff just carry on working and updates in the back ground etc.

For me that is how I expect it to work and if I have to pay a premium for that so be it. Apple care and online chat is brilliant too, few issues I’ve had they have sorted in mins and I’ve carried on!!

So do I need a top spec MacBook Pro for editing or can I get away with say the 13inch base model? If I can save some money I’m all up for that... :-)

Only thing that smashes the iMac is rendering 4K video time lapses from lightroom, with 30-40MB RAW files, can get the machine fairly warm... but I can do that on the larger machine no problem, so more just for on the go working machine to do editing on the go.

I would be happy with a basic 12inch if it could get the job done. I don’t care for the touch bar whatsoever.

The ports are going to annoy me for sure but that’s how it is so can’t complain too much.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

The port situation is annoying but I quickly got over it, but again my laptop is not my main editing setup.

This helped me get over the ports. https://www.hootoo.com …-apple-charging-hdmi.html (external link)

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,108 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 15, 2017 22:53 |  #19

superclarkey wrote in post #18473569 (external link)

I love the smell of red herring in the evening.

superclarkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
208 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 16, 2017 07:29 as a reply to  @ mike_d's post |  #20

I have been honest I don't like windows, thats my preference, and I was giving some context to why I have that opinion. I found the whole thing very frustrating. That doesn't mean its a flawed system or no need for it as I understand it has its place etc.

If Windows ran for me as well as Apple and was cheaper I would switch in a heartbeat, I kinda like apple but I don't give a crap what I own as long as it works, this is why I asked if there was any other machines I should consider, but its turned into a apple vs PC not "here you go this is what you should buy instead" kinda of thread.

I don't know why people are so defensive one or the other...

Canon EOS 5D mk IV
Canon 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L USM mk II
Canon 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L USM IS mk II

davesrose
3,229 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 16, 2017 08:47 as a reply to  @ superclarkey's post |  #21

I think it was the context of stating you need to continually re-install Windows for re-optimization or driver fixes. Since Windows XP, I've found I haven't needed to re-install Windows (maybe it's partly because I occasionally run malware scanners and am picky about what I install). Anyway, you've stated you prefer Mac, and that's your right.

RE: is the Macbook 12 good enough. Well it depends on what your expectations are. Some people say they like it because it's fanless: they like that there's no fan-noise during any workload. But because of that and an option of either core M3 or i5, it's not going to be as fast as larger laptops that can pack higher specs. It should be fine for basic PS and Lightroom duty, and be slower at heavy LR batches or video rendering compared to higher speced laptops.

EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,975 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 16, 2017 14:18 |  #22

My only issue with the 13" Macbook Pro is the size. The screen size is fine, but the overall size is pretty small, and for some reason that bothers me. I prefer the size of the 15", but it's pretty good jump in price.

Do you need quad core processors for what you do? If not, then the 13" would save some pretty good money, and you can get it without the touch bar. If you aren't that familiar with the touch bar though, I would check it out. If you have programs with a lot of repetitive tasks, the touch bar comes in handy. The example I saw, the guy had buttons set up for Photoshop to create layers, layer stamps, and things like that.

Gear
Website (external link)

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
2,245 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 08, 2018 18:20 |  #23

FWIW, I am currently in the process of getting an iMac, but my CURRENT computer is a mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro (2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB, 500.07 GB PCl SSD) and I have been extremely happy with it (no problems whatsoever).

5D Mark II / 24-70 2.8 L / 70-200 4.0 IS L / 35 2.0 / 50 1.8 STM / 85 1.8 / 100 2.8 Macro / 15 2.8 Fisheye / S95
Feedback
:)

High ­ Desert
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Post edited 6 months ago by High Desert.

Jan 09, 2018 10:14 |  #24

Late to the game here, but as others have said, if you invested in Apple gear, then probably best to stay with Apple. In that case, I'd look at a laptop before the Touch Bar came out. Probably can find some good deals on used / refurbished loaded up, and save a ton of money over a new system. reviews of he new laptops have not been great, in respect to Touch Bar and actual use for it. More of a novelty (akin to emojis' on X phone). I'm using a 13 inch MBPr from 2016 and am pleased with it, even though it only has 8 gb ram. Doing it again, I would opt for the 16 gb, as ram is not upgradeable on my unit. The local Apple dealers here, always have some nice, used / refurbished 15" units available and they are tempting and upgradeable.

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,975 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 09, 2018 16:11 as a reply to  @ High Desert's post |  #25

If you are using your MBP as a main computer, then the touchbar is actually pretty useful. In photoshop you can program shortcuts that would be very helpful, and it works very well with Final Cut Pro as well.

I have the 13" 2017 MPB without the touchbar, but I don't use it for editing, so I didn't spend the extra $400 to get it.

Gear
Website (external link)

High ­ Desert
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Jan 12, 2018 16:18 |  #26

Just for a what if....my wife just bought a new HP 17" laptop with all the latest and greatest and Windows 10 to upgrade from her older HP 17 inch laptop (if you can call it that). I have sat and watched her go through all kinds of gyrations with Windows 10 updates, upgrades oddly enough, losing drivers with updates. Never had that happen, so far, with Apple. I used computers from the DOS to Windows ages and never really looked at Apple until I decided to get into photography again, At that time, Apple was the best bet for a OS. Watching the gyrations my wife is going through with her two laptops, I don't regret having a MBP at all. :-)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,108 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 12, 2018 16:41 |  #27

High Desert wrote in post #18539614 (external link)
Just for a what if....my wife just bought a new HP 17" laptop with all the latest and greatest and Windows 10 to upgrade from her older HP 17 inch laptop (if you can call it that). I have sat and watched her go through all kinds of gyrations with Windows 10 updates, upgrades oddly enough, losing drivers with updates.

1) Don't buy HP, especially their consumer grade, bloatware-laden, junk.

2) If you do, download a clean Win10 image directly from Microsoft and reformat/reinstall from that.

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,534 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Spacemunkie. (2 edits in all)

Jan 16, 2018 17:03 |  #28

mike_d wrote in post #18539627 (external link)
1) Don't buy HP, especially their consumer grade, bloatware-laden, junk.

This. In spades.

Work buy me some expensive hardware. Currently using a maxed out HP Z440 that cost a small fortune. An absolute POS that I've had no end of issues with. Never again!

Have just got a full spec Macbook Pro (was still using a 2012 Retina that has been a real workhorse...) and whilst it's beautifully built and will no doubt last for years, by gum those are some eye-watering prices. First thing you have to do is buy all the stuff they took out of it as well at a cost of several hundred bucks. It's a nice machine, but if it were my own money I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole :D

I'm still using a 2009 iMac at home. Just took it apart, cleaned it, put in an SSD and swapped the CD drive for an HDD. Fresh OS install and it's running beautifully again. The thing never gets switched off and has barely issued the faintest grumble in 8-9 years. The best value computer I ever bought I think.

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

davesrose
3,229 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 6 months ago by davesrose.

Jan 16, 2018 21:56 |  #29

When it comes to the highest end desktop workstations, I've found I save the most money buying parts through sites like New Egg and building myself (to get a dual Xeon with high end Quadro, you can save thousands building yourself). I am enough of a computer nerd to do my own maintenance. Of the companies that claim certified CAD workstation hardware, I've found a small company by the name of XI Computers is really nice (by way of price and how you can configure systems). When it comes to form factor mobile laptop workstations, I've only had good experiences with HP or Dell. For their workstation line, they fall in their business class (which has some better costumer support), and when I'm buying the system, I'm looking for the best graphics card and memory performance.

smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

2,797 views & 9 likes for this thread
Laptop help (Mac) upgrade
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.