Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Jan 2018 (Friday) 23:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon?.. wtf?

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,449 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 12, 2018 23:52 |  #1

https://petapixel.com …contains-stolen-elements/ (external link)

Pardon me if this was posted already and /or if this is in wrong section.

I beleive the was part of fstoppers series ?
I know I've seen the pic before in his vids

Fuji XT2 / Panasonic GH5 / Sony A7R3 / Canon t4i / Pentax K1000
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

sponsored links
arthurbikemad
91 posts
Joined Sep 2016

Jan 13, 2018 02:10 |  #2

Canon are just trying to keep up with Nikon, who were first at using another togs/brands image in their own campaign ;)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,093 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 13, 2018 08:03 |  #3

It is much easier and cheaper to grab a free image off a website than to solicit and review images from Canon users. Let alone PAY for one of those images.

It's not about the photographer, photography, or even the image any more. It's about corporate profits. Engineers used to conceive and design better cameras and tell the marketing department what to work with. No longer. It's the marketing departments that tells engineers what new feature or increased megapixel they need for their next marketing campaign.

It's not just Canon, either. It's Canon, Nikon, Fuji, and beyond.

And it's not just cameras. It's cars, it's everything, it's health care. Doctors used to do what they needed to do to make people well. No longer. It's the corporate bean counters that tell doctors what they can and can not do.

The sooner you realize the corporate world doesn't care about you - that they only care about their profits - the less stress-filled your travels thru life will be. And the less frequently you will succumb to the latest BS from corporate marketing departments.

Website (external link) |

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,561 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 7 months ago by TeamSpeed. (6 edits in all)

Jan 13, 2018 08:07 |  #4

They took an image off a free site. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The fault actually lies with the person that loaded up the image to the site in the first place. Also the photo was edited, which starts to move into the area of creative edits on somebody else's work. Who cares if they pay a photographer for pictures or go to a public royalty-free site to grab photos from THEIR EQUIPMENT. Canon doesn't engineer photographers, they engineer equipment. Therefore wherever they can pull images, legally, is just fine. If you want to get mad at the general industry, get mad at lawyers and those that go to litigation for a fast buck and create frivolous suits.

I don't get all the anger toward Canon, for petes sake. They did absolutely nothing wrong here.

Just looks like more clickbait, like most anything sensationalized on those sites. Just National Inquirer for photographers...

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

rantercsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,449 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 13, 2018 08:53 |  #5

Using a partially fuji pic to promote canon is Ok?

I get the whole grabbing free pics off the internet, especially as it was taken from a site that was for such use..

But it wasnt fully a canon picture.
(At very least the sky wasnt )

drmaxx
971 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 13, 2018 09:08 |  #6

Am I the only one to be puzzled what the big deal is here? I completely fail to see the relevance of the story and to me this looks like one of this storm in a glass outrage about nothing? What am I missing?

Donate if you love POTN

rantercsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,449 posts
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 7 months ago by rantercsr. (2 edits in all)

Jan 13, 2018 09:18 |  #7

drmaxx wrote in post #18540003 (external link)
Am I the only one to be puzzled what the big deal is here? I completely fail to see the relevance of the story and to me this looks like one of this storm in a glass outrage about nothing? What am I missing?

The part that made me go "wtf?"..
Is that the owner of the photo has come out and said he never gave permission AND.. that its not a photo taken with a canon camera but a Fuji.

So instead of canon saying "oops my bad , we were under the impression it was a canon photo because someone falsely represented it"

In which case this would have all been a non issue , but

They are saying no its not fuji , it's from a canon.., you can tell as there is evedincr of "seasonal changes"

(Evem though if you look at pics every detail of every cloud is identical , including the plane )

That's the part that makes me say wtf?

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,237 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 13, 2018 10:08 |  #8

rantercsr wrote in post #18539991 (external link)
Using a partially fuji pic to promote canon is Ok? . . .

Of course not. But, for me, the fuss is way overblown.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,561 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 7 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jan 13, 2018 10:30 |  #9

Again, there are way bigger issues to deal with than worry about misrepresented photos on the web... Canon didn't break any laws or did anything unethical, and maybe a bad case of judgment in the responses to the "uproar", but who doesn't have lapse in judgement? Hardly news worthy imo. I am immensely more interested in what Canon is doing in R&D and what we can expect from new gear in the future.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 13, 2018 11:50 |  #10

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18539971 (external link)
They took an image off a free site. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

There is something wrong with that. Not morally or ethically, of course, but there is still something wrong.

Why is it wrong? . Because Canon's objective should be to bolster the public's perception of their brand. . They should use marketing to set themselves apart and to give people the impression that they are this world-class corporation that does everything in a superlative manner.

In this case, their marketing efforts give people the impression that they are cheapskates who are not above doing things in a half-assed manner on occasion.

In this case, Canon didn't get it just right. . They got it wrong.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,453 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 7 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Jan 13, 2018 14:09 |  #11

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18539971 (external link)

I don't get all the anger toward Canon, for petes sake. They did absolutely nothing wrong here.

Just looks like more clickbait, like most anything sensationalized on those sites. Just National Inquirer for photographers...

It seems what they "did wrong" is all about the response once the mistake was revealed.

I think that once the truth was revealed to them, they should have taken steps to rectify rather than to continue to except the lie that the uploader was propagating. They are either blind, or just don't care. Neither is exactly what you want from a promotional standpoint, which is the entire point of having a facebook page.

Sure it's clickbait, but on the other hand, I am all for stupid, insensitive, and disconnected from reality being exposed. Even if it's via pointing and laughing.

I'm, not sure how a small online series of posts makes this "overblown". There is no "tempest" We are reading about it here in a our little photography bubble, it isn't on any of the other places I visit, hasn't been delivered to me in any other form. Only this Photography related forum. It's not like it's being run on FOX news, NPR or even being "re-tweeted" a million times.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,453 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 13, 2018 14:14 |  #12

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18540116 (external link)
There is something wrong with that. Not morally or ethically, of course, but there is still something wrong.

Why is it wrong? . Because Canon's objective should be to bolster the public's perception of their brand. . They should use marketing to set themselves apart and to give people the impression that they are this world-class corporation that does everything in a superlative manner.

In this case, their marketing efforts give people the impression that they are cheapskates who are not above doing things in a half-assed manner on occasion.

In this case, Canon didn't get it just right. . They got it wrong.

Word! (or "QFT" etc.. :) )

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,561 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 7 months ago by TeamSpeed. (10 edits in all)

Jan 15, 2018 07:02 |  #13

Marketing material is taken from all sources in a big business. Often the free sources are always exhausted first for material used in marketing. That is what we get for expecting double digit gains in our portfolios year after year, those profits come from less outsourcing of marketing material and more from what might be considered free, especially in photo and graphics areas.

What exactly was Canon promoting, I couldn't find that? All it says is that the picture was taken from a 1D4, a long deceased model in Canon's lineup, one that generates zero revenue for Canon.

I still believe that companies, even Canon, aren't going to go out every single time to pay photographers to get some test shots for them to promote models, they are going to temper that activity with finding what might be readily available in both the public domain space and possible what others might have posted to gallery sites and approach them for an arrangement. I know what we do within our own company, and we aren't exactly small. We have the folks that can do the graphic arts (myself and a couple of others, as well as some photographers) but invariably, it is from public domain that we pull our material. :( So in our case, we don't even use the skills of the employees, because their time is better spent on other projects that actually derive revenue. We have used marketing companies locally in the past however, but they also pull from public domain or their subscription service sources for material.

This is pretty minor an issue, the real issue is the person that uploaded a photo that was at least partially not his to a free site. All Canon had to do was offer an apology that in their search for photos by owners for a marketing project, they pulled what they thought was a public domain photo, but unfortunately what was uploaded was an edited merge of somebody else's work.

Now, this is news! What self-respecting photographer would deliver these results? They surely came from an MILC camera and post processed with MS Paint! ;) :lol:

drmaxx
971 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited 7 months ago by drmaxx.

Jan 15, 2018 08:51 |  #14

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18541229 (external link)
Marketing material is taken from all sources in a big business. Often the free sources are always exhausted first for material used in marketing.

I don't think that this was 'marketing' - some grey boss decided that Canon needs to be cool and be present in social media. He calls his drone and tells him:
Boss: "Go create a Canon Facebook/Twitter/xxx account. Keep it light, attractive and lively. Goal is 50'000 follower after the first month."
Drone: "What's the budget?"
Boss: "Budget? Are you crazy? My daughter has a great FB account and has no budget. You don't need a budget."
Drone: "O.k., I'll pass some of my responsibilities to Drone 2 and get going?"
Boss: "What? No way. Do you think my daughter can get off school for running FB? - Off you go, you'll manage."

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18541229 (external link)
What exactly was Canon promoting, I couldn't find that?

Exactly, that's my point.

Donate if you love POTN

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,318 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 15, 2018 11:06 |  #15

Everyone is trying to save a buck so when the promotion department at Canon wants a photo for an ad on PR or whatever, instead of paying someone to go out and get a specific shot with Canon gear and all they pay someone to sit at a computer and look for public domain photos from free sites. Problem is, as we all know, some photos are heavily edited and then posted on the shallow web (sorry for the pun, been exploring the deep web lately). Why anyone would change the exif data to change it from Fujifilm to Canon is beyond me unless it was a Canon employee who liked the photo and said, 'lets use this one. I can change the exif data'. I don't know...

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links

3,257 views & 25 likes for this thread
Canon?.. wtf?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.