Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 16:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cheetahstand No Longer selling lights

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 11, 2018 23:54 |  #16

kickmaster wrote in post #18539049 (external link)
Don't throw PCB in the river just yet. I fully expect them to release a TTL/HSS.

They had a post on IG the other day that alluded to that. I think it said something like "no HHS (yet)". Of course TTL, who knows. Paul was adamant that they wouldn't make a TTL strobe. Hopefully they've reconsidered since his passing.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
832 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Jan 12, 2018 13:37 |  #17

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18539162 (external link)
They had a post on IG the other day that alluded to that. I think it said something like "no HHS (yet)". Of course TTL, who knows. Paul was adamant that they wouldn't make a TTL strobe. Hopefully they've reconsidered since his passing.

For PCB to not only compete but dominate is well within their capabilities. Thing is, they are haunted by attempts that have failed rather than look at why and fixing it.

i.e., going international. It’s a matter of leadership and vision. Seems they are wallowing with PCB’s passing for way too long without looking at the business and striving to do better in all business functions.

The world will be passing them by if that’s their desire.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,002 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 12, 2018 18:39 |  #18

Angmo wrote in post #18539493 (external link)
For PCB to not only compete but dominate is well within their capabilities. Thing is, they are haunted by attempts that have failed rather than look at why and fixing it.

i.e., going international. It’s a matter of leadership and vision. Seems they are wallowing with PCB’s passing for way too long without looking at the business and striving to do better in all business functions.

The world will be passing them by if that’s their desire.

So much of that was based on Buff himself. He was a strong personality and it hindered him as much as it helped. He would shut himself off from productive criticism and it slowed the evolution of new products. Who knows if the current management are happy with their place in the market or are willing to innovate

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,467 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 12, 2018 21:59 |  #19

Back when the 360 was gaining a lot of traction, I had wished that Ed would scale up inventory, marketing, and sales. It was clear that Goxox had big plans, and capitalism being what it is, they weren't going to be waiting around for anyone. That said, I'm guessing Ed supported Godox's efforts way more than Godox supported Ed's efforts.

Hopefully this is a better direction where he can determine his business' fate rather than being beholden to forces wayoutside of his control. It's been a while since he has separated me from my hard earned cash, but it probably won't be much longer.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

RandallB
300 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 13, 2018 12:47 |  #20

gonzogolf wrote in post #18539691 (external link)
So much of that was based on Buff himself. He was a strong personality and it hindered him as much as it helped. He would shut himself off from productive criticism and it slowed the evolution of new products. Who knows if the current management are happy with their place in the market or are willing to innovate

I had a ridiculous interaction with their csr patricia when trying to outfit my studio. Rudeness and an inability to listen to anything I was saying. I have since come across a number of other folks who have had similar odd issues. They pushed away a professional client who had a decent budget to spend. I let others know of my experience when they tell me they are considering buff products. The fact that they are falling behind to other manufacturers does not bode well.

6D w/Vello grip, 650 w/Canon grip, 85 1.8, 16-35L, 40mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 L Macro Broncolor Siros 400S
BOWIE RIP!

DDL
435 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 14, 2018 16:16 |  #21

RandallB wrote in post #18538773 (external link)
I believe Vistek in Canada will also carry the "pro" unit.

Strobepro (Calgary) carries Godox under their own house brand name with pre-orders up for the PRO already ($1099 CDN) and I think they offer two years of warranty (versus the standard one for Godox sales at Vistek?).

Not sure about Illuminati.

DDL

GearList

RandallB
300 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 14, 2018 16:45 |  #22

DDL wrote in post #18540864 (external link)
Strobepro (Calgary) carries Godox under their own house brand name with pre-orders up for the PRO already ($1099 CDN) and I think they offer two years of warranty (versus the standard one for Godox sales at Vistek?).

Not sure about Illuminati.

Nice. Didnt realise the strobepro boys were carrying it too!

6D w/Vello grip, 650 w/Canon grip, 85 1.8, 16-35L, 40mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 L Macro Broncolor Siros 400S
BOWIE RIP!

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,038 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 15, 2018 10:42 |  #23

SamFrench wrote in post #18539161 (external link)
Who? :-)

Youngnuo has some serious issues to resolve

I have personally seen other 3 photographers, including myself, have flash units got so hot that you cant touch them and the batteries that came out of these units could not be held by hand w/o causing a 1st degree burn. There is a serious problem with them and I wont touch them at all

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sincity
158 posts
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 15, 2018 17:07 |  #24

Went to the Imaging/PPA convention today.. I saw that PCB had a booth there.. No Godox reps or resellers there..

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,038 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 15, 2018 19:15 |  #25

sincity wrote in post #18541705 (external link)
Went to the Imaging/PPA convention today.. I saw that PCB had a booth there.. No Godox reps or resellers there..

Go see Michael Mowbray at imaging. he has the Godox booth set up. He is operating under Mo-lite..which is all Godox

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

nixland
497 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 16, 2018 23:40 |  #26

And how is Phottix Indra? :)

kickmaster
530 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 17, 2018 10:07 as a reply to  @ nixland's post |  #27

I have two Phottix Indra 500's. They work as advertised, without any problems.

Canon Forever! 5D III, 1DX, L Primes & Zooms, Kino-Flo, Einsteins, Diva Ringlight, Phottix Indra 500 TTL, Interfit S1's..... Full studio....

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,759 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004
Post edited 6 months ago by RDKirk.

Jan 17, 2018 13:41 |  #28

sincity wrote in post #18541705 (external link)

Well, PCB Inc is right there in Nashville. Last time Imaging was in Nashville, another photographer and I paid them a visit and Paul himself gave us a tour.

But I agree with some other posters. Paul was adamant that he was in the business of selling studio electronic flash, which precluded TTL and HSS. He might have changed his mind after Profoto and Bron leaped into that pool--but Paul was his company's sole "innovation engine"--he invented their circuits himself. I don't know that the company has someone who can continue to do that.

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
832 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Jan 17, 2018 19:12 |  #29

RDKirk wrote in post #18543171 (external link)
Well, PCB Inc is right there in Nashville. Last time Imaging was in Nashville, another photographer and I paid them a visit and Paul himself gave us a tour.

But I agree with some other posters. Paul was adamant that he was in the business of selling studio electronic flash, which precluded TTL and HSS. He might have changed his mind after Profoto and Bron leaped into that pool--but Paul was his company's sole "innovation engine"--he invented their circuits himself. I don't know that the company has someone who can continue to do that.

Succession planning should be a part of strategic planning... sounds like little of that was done very well.

I consulted with a small mfgr who built and sold strictly the US. Encouraged him go international. Planning, strategy... now 80% of his profits come from there. Huge success. He’s happy.

Tried to speak with PCB about it. They never returned my call. But he needs to get up to date with the products first before competing fully. Ain’t that hard...

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

pat.kane
600 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 17, 2018 19:16 |  #30

Angmo wrote in post #18543402 (external link)
But he needs to get up to date with the products first before competing fully. Ain’t that hard...

It is hard given he passed away two years ago.

1Dx, 5D3 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

sponsored links

5,516 views & 21 likes for this thread
Cheetahstand No Longer selling lights
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.