Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Jan 2018 (Friday) 12:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Professional Sports workflow and Capture One.

Dj ­ Silver
229 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 12, 2018 12:25 |  #1

I'm a semi pro sports photographer, shooting Premier League Football (soccer) in England, where, as you probably know images are wired pitchside to newspapers and have to be sent very very quickly.
My current workflow is this ... Ingest using Photomechanic, cull, then drag and drop into Lightroom. They are imported into Lightroom with a preset, I then edit, say crop, straighten, clarity, noise redustion, sharpening. They are then exported as a jpeg to a folder. I then open again in Photomechanic, caption and upload to newspapers.

I have been looking at Capture one and so far, I'm impressed with it.

Can it be used instead of Lightroom in my workflow? Is C1 as quick importing, editing and exporting say ten images as Lightroom (learning curve accepted)?

Cheers. :-)

Canon 1DX, 5D3 & 7D: Canon 300is: Canon 70-200 is 2.8: Canon 24-105 is: Canon 10-22 is: 430EXII and a Benro C-257 with a B-2 ballhead: Lee Filters Starter Pack: Lee Big Stopper.

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,069 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 13, 2018 09:23 |  #2

In case you decide to stay with LR. Which version are you using? The latest version - LR Classic CC has a new import feature called Embedded and Sidecar. This shows the Jpeg previews you see on your camera's LCD. Designed for instant culling while the Standard previews build. It comes with the subscription model and some don't like it which is fine. It is not for everyone.

http://lightroomsoluti​ons.com …low-in-lightroom-classic/ (external link)

You probably use the same several ISO's. With any version of LR you can set it up so clarity, noise reduction, sharpening, lens corrections, colour profile all auto apply during import. You just have to figure out on average how much sharpening and NR you like at the ISO's you most often use.

Just in case people are thinking this I'm not trying to convince you to stay with Adobe. Just some pointers to speed things up for you. C1 is a good developer and auto applies some of the things I mentioned. Good for if you choose it.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,719 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 13, 2018 13:42 |  #3

Why not do a trial of C1P for a few weeks and see how you like it?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,394 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 13, 2018 14:18 |  #4

Dj Silver wrote in post #18539439 (external link)
... Is C1 as quick importing, editing and exporting say ten images as Lightroom (learning curve accepted)?

Cheers. :-)

Learning curve aside, I find the C1 engine to run much faster than LR on every computer build I have ever used.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 13, 2018 15:11 |  #5

Interesting, my workflow was exactly as yours is and I have just begun doing exactly what you are asking about. Photo Mechanic --> C1 --> Photo Mechanic.

In my (so far limited) experience with it, I have found that I am slightly faster with the C1 workflow in place of LR. I have found that the auto adjust in C1 works so well that I rarely need any other adjustments. Then simply crop and fire them back into Photo Mechanic. Exporting from C1 back to photo mechanic is faster than LR. The only thing that I am kind of struggling with in C1 is the crop and rotate tools. They are separate and work different than in LR. The RAW converter of C1 is so much better than LR though.

I am still learning my way around C1, and there are definitely some things I miss from LR (like plugins and some of my presets that I have not yet been able to recreate in C1), but overall I have been impressed enough to keep at it.

I would say give it a shot and see for yourself. I did a few trial runs at home before I tried it on an actual assignment.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,069 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 13, 2018 15:42 |  #6

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18540219 (external link)
Learning curve aside, I find the C1 engine to run much faster than LR on every computer build I have ever used.

I tested it twice and yes the export of one file was instant and LR takes about 6 seconds. I'm not sure if that is because everything has been done ahead of time in C1 and LR resizes, sharpens, etc during export. I can't remember if I resized before exporting with C1. That is in October but it did surprise me.

I only edited one file at a time so I don't how it compares to importing multiple files. My guess exporting would be about the same.

Did you go for version 11? I remember the new layers in that version peaked your interest.

Image Editing OK

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,394 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 13, 2018 23:33 |  #7

I haven't had reason to do it yet, no.
I will definitely maintain updates to keep the upgrade price though, but that means I can still skip this version.. we shall see.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,585 posts
Gallery: 169 photos
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited 5 months ago by bildeb0rg with reason 'im srupid'.

Jan 14, 2018 04:18 |  #8

Slightly off topic but can i ask dj silver what file size you upload to press offices please?

Dj ­ Silver
THREAD ­ STARTER
229 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 15, 2018 10:39 |  #9

Thanks for all your replies and input. With no preset applied in C 1, I find images imported are superior, richer colour etc. than achieved in LR. However I just imported 140 images and it was considerably faster in LR than importing to C 1, considerably!
However, I would then have to spend time editing the LR images to get them to the C 1 quality. Exporting is my next test.

I did a quick export from C 1 last night and one fabulous feature I found (still learning!) is you can 'say open in Photomechanic'. That is so useful, as I currently export from LR, then have to open a contact sheet in PM, no, not a long operation but when it's done automatically, then wow!

If the export time, converting to JPeg is quicker then I could be get the plastic out!! :)

FAO bildebOrg ...... JPeg, sRGB, Long edge 3000 piexels (3 x 2 format), resolution 300 dpi and max file ize 1,500 kb.

Canon 1DX, 5D3 & 7D: Canon 300is: Canon 70-200 is 2.8: Canon 24-105 is: Canon 10-22 is: 430EXII and a Benro C-257 with a B-2 ballhead: Lee Filters Starter Pack: Lee Big Stopper.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,069 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 5 months ago by digital paradise.

Jan 15, 2018 10:50 |  #10

C1 applies it's own colour which is richer than LR - Adobe Standard. I use Canon's Camera Standard Profile with my own tweaks that auto applies during import and I could get the same results. This included NR, sharpening, etc.

C1 is much closer to a final product - out of the box - than LR is but I can get it to match pretty easily. I also asked what LR version you had because new updated auto feature has been improved. I have set it up so it also auto applies on import. Basically I have an import to export workflow with little intervention if I want that.

It takes more effort to set everything up with LR. That was one thing I liked about C1 when I tried it.

Image Editing OK

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,337 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 15, 2018 11:02 |  #11

As DP said above, there is an way to apply settings on import. I don't use it, but I know it's there.

If speed is the primary concern, I might try tweaking Canon Picture Styles and working with out of camera JPG images ... skipping any editor. The different looks available might be more varied than you think.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,719 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by MCAsan.

Jan 15, 2018 11:11 |  #12

What superior, richer color is C1P doing that Lr can not also do with the choice of a different camera profile (DCP file) or import preset?

Check out this article: http://4bcokm12bvu948g​i7312gnab-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com …20Capture%20One​%20Pro.pdf (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,069 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 15, 2018 11:18 |  #13

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18541365 (external link)
As DP said above, there is an way to apply settings on import. I don't use it, but I know it's there.

If speed is the primary concern, I might try tweaking Canon Picture Styles and working with out of camera JPG images ... skipping any editor. The different looks available might be more varied than you think.

I have all this stuff set up to auto apply but I reverse other things. I have presets to undo these adjustments rather than apply them. I don't always agree with LR's Auto decisions but am learning what makes it tick. Saves time with black and white clipping, shadows and highlights. Something I'd do anyway.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,069 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 15, 2018 11:23 |  #14

One thing I noticed was C1 was better at pulling highlights back.

Image Editing OK

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,638 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 15, 2018 11:24 |  #15

Dj Silver wrote in post #18541345 (external link)
I did a quick export from C 1 last night and one fabulous feature I found (still learning!) is you can 'say open in Photomechanic'. That is so useful, as I currently export from LR, then have to open a contact sheet in PM, no, not a long operation but when it's done automatically, then wow!

You can have lightroom do this too. In the export dialog, the last tab is post processing, you can tell photo mechanic to open the exported photos in a contact sheet when done.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

sponsored links

3,111 views & 4 likes for this thread
Professional Sports workflow and Capture One.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.