Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Jan 2018 (Friday) 12:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Professional Sports workflow and Capture One.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,343 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 5 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Jan 15, 2018 11:43 |  #16

MCAsan wrote in post #18541375 (external link)
What superior, richer color is C1P doing that Lr can not also do with the choice of a different camera profile (DCP file) or import preset?

Check out this article: http://4bcokm12bvu948g​i7312gnab-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com …20Capture%20One​%20Pro.pdf (external link)

Author's conclusion, in part

Two Different Philosophies
In conclusion, if you simply compare default settings, the results will look different. If you go beyond the basics and actually edit in Capture One or Lightroom, you can make your photos look similar, or make them look however you want. Having worked in Capture One, I have full confi- dence in the program’s image-editing controls, just as I have in Lightroom. The perceived wisdom that Capture One is sharper is mostly based on a superficial analysis of the default settings.

Capture One does outshine Lightroom in some respects though. The color editing sliders offer better fine-tuning control, particularly for skin tones. The Shadows and High- lights sliders have a greater range of tone control when editing regular dynamic range images. The new Luma Curve is useful for precise control of luminance and color contrast. The global moiré removal is faster, and the black- and-white conversion process is good at suppressing halos along areas of color contrast.

Also worth noting the large Photoshop conference ad at a he end of the article, and the clear history of the author's Ps and Lr preference in his closing bio.

All that said, seems the bulk of the article is about sharpening, not color with the conclusion that C1 does have an advantage in the color department.

digital paradise wrote in post #18541385 (external link)
I have all this stuff set up to auto apply but I reverse other things. I have presets to undo these adjustments rather than apply them. I don't always agree with LR's Auto decisions but am learning what makes it tick. Saves time with black and white clipping, shadows and highlights. Something I'd do anyway.

My typical workflow is to edit one image and then copy > paste the adjustments to the remaining images all at once. Any tweaking of individual images is usually pretty quick.

digital paradise wrote in post #18541395 (external link)
One thing I noticed was C1 was better at pulling highlights back.

In my experience this is a huge difference. Combine recovery of highlights and shadows with the great color correction tools and it is a great tool for my uses.

Fwiw, I have been working with a color checker in studio and have found that reducing overall contrast (-30), then tweaking colors has provided great results. Tones in the 190-225 and say, 50-100 area are more true to the color checker. This is for color critical product work, not portraits, etc.

I have been very happily surprised with the results.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,073 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 15, 2018 12:31 |  #17

The highlight recovery was not enough for me to switch. I like Canon's colours and LR's Canon profiles are pretty close. Not to give C1 a hard time but I have come across threads and articles that say they are a tad over saturated, particularly the reds. I really did not notice this or found it detrimental but it is a personal choice.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

ejenner
Goldmember
3,623 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 15, 2018 20:38 |  #18

rdalrt wrote in post #18540239 (external link)
The only thing that I am kind of struggling with in C1 is the crop and rotate tools. They are separate and work different than in LR.

I find using key shortcuts for these useful. For the rotate though, if you are making small adjustments then having the module on your main adjustments panel and using the mouse scroll wheel on the slider might be more useful.

For the crop, the one annoying thing I find is that if you have a crop set, then resetting it so that you can re-draw is not doable. You can reset to max by clicking outside the crop, but if you have applied rotation you can then only pull in from the edges (unless I am missing something).

So you may want to crop first - keyboard shortcut, draw crop, then rotate with scroll wheel and cursor on rotate slider.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,623 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 15, 2018 20:43 |  #19

Dj Silver wrote in post #18541345 (external link)
Thanks for all your replies and input. With no preset applied in C 1, I find images imported are superior, richer colour etc. than achieved in LR. However I just imported 140 images and it was considerably faster in LR than importing to C 1, considerably!
However, I would then have to spend time editing the LR images to get them to the C 1 quality. Exporting is my next test.

Just a thought, but did you try adjusting the preview size in C1? I don't apply settings on import (rather the opposite - I turn them off), but I do find the suggested preview size to be unnecessary. Not sure if it is my machine or something else, but I just set to the minimum preview size and don't notice any slowdown in editing nor reduction in preview quality. It would definitely be different editing with raw files offline, or from a slower external drive, but from my SSD it seems that large previews are unnecessary and just take up disk space.

I'm not even sure it will make the import faster, but it might.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.

Dj ­ Silver
THREAD ­ STARTER
229 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 16, 2018 04:48 as a reply to  @ ejenner's post |  #20

Thanks, I didn't know you could alter the size! :-). That could help a lot. I am on the trial version but unfortunately do not get too much time to learn about the programme.

I feel drawn to C1 as the image it automatically produces is definitely good enough for my needs apart from a possible exposure tweak, noise reduction and sharpening when needed. I could always set up a preset or style, I think in C1 terms.

Canon 1DX, 5D3 & 7D: Canon 300is: Canon 70-200 is 2.8: Canon 24-105 is: Canon 10-22 is: 430EXII and a Benro C-257 with a B-2 ballhead: Lee Filters Starter Pack: Lee Big Stopper.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,623 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 25, 2018 23:38 |  #21

I think that possibly the import time you are referring to is including all the preview generations. If so, then, yes, this can take quite a while - I just had 500 files and it took a while. However, you can work on photos while previews are being generated in the background. It might slow the processing down a bit, but IME isn't too bad.

I just had another thought, I always copy and rename files to my hard drive, and then import to C1. Not sure what happens if you import and copy at the same time.

But if you want to copy images to your hard drive and then be able to flick through the images to pick out some, C1 may not be a quick option for that.

Edward Jenner

sponsored links

3,142 views & 4 likes for this thread
Professional Sports workflow and Capture One.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.