Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 15 Jan 2018 (Monday) 10:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

500d upgrade opinions.

Chrizz
189 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 15, 2018 10:44 |  #1

I am not a pro i just use my camera to take family photos, portraits, bulidings, landscape, flowers, animals and whatever i see interesting.
My canon 500d has served me well, but its getting a bit old.. I am getting ready to set aside some money to start saving for investing in a new body (maybe?)
My current lenses are:
1) EFS 18-55 kit lens
2) Tamron 70-300 SP Di VC USD XLD

What i value most in the would be new camera is Image quality in general and Image quality in low light situations (like parties, birthdays etc)

I am thinking to make the jump to FF, IF and only IF my tamron 70-300 is compatible with FF which i think it is. Can someone confirm this please?
I dont need any more lenses! (I think!...i know that 18-55 not compatible :( )

I would like to ask the more experienced in here about opinions.
Also note that this is kinda long-term project..(saving money i mean..)
I would like to keep the costs around 1k euro..(i am in europe currently)

thank you to all.

Canon 500d | EFS 18-55 IS | Tamron 70-300 SP Di VC USD XLD

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,702 posts
Gallery: 1093 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 15, 2018 10:57 |  #2

Heya,

Used 6D would be the only affordable full frame upgrade with significant advantages in low light (AF at -3EV, and high ISO performance) in your price range, if you stay Canon.
Your Tamron is EF mount and will work on a full frame Canon.
You can replace that 18-55 with a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 used, for very cheap, and it's a good lens.

Really, just add a small ETTL flash to your kit and you'll get way more from that. I wouldn't even move to FF for this. Just get better APS-C glass and a flash.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,273 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jan 15, 2018 11:02 |  #3

80D or SL2, should you decide to stay with APS-C, both have the improved low ISO DR, and good high ISO. Agree with the prior suggestion of getting faster glass though, and a flash.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Chrizz
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 15, 2018 11:15 |  #4

thanks guys..thats why i am asking here, to see if it would be really worthwhile.
Better APS-C lens, how that would that cost me? recommendated good lens?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,273 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Jan 15, 2018 11:21 |  #5

On the Canon side, I really enjoyed the Canon 17-55 personally.

However you do have the Sigma 18-35 1.8 that gets great reviews, the Tamron 70-200 2.8 (or Sigma equivalent), or some fast primes like the 85 1.8, 50 STM 1.8, or 3rd party options.

If you decide to move to FF, the 6D on the used market is a great value, and will net you about 2 stops better ISO handling. However, you will need a couple of lenses to go along with it.

MalVeauX
12,702 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 15, 2018 11:40 |  #6

Chrizz wrote in post #18541380 (external link)
thanks guys..thats why i am asking here, to see if it would be really worthwhile.
Better APS-C lens, how that would that cost me? recommendated good lens?

For an inexpensive entry that is sharp and good, and fast, look at the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 (non-VC has no stabilization but is a tad sharper, the VC version has image stabilization which is handy sometimes).

If you want to take it up a notch, the Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS is an excellent sharp lens.

And if you really want aperture speed, Sigma's 18-35 F1.8 ART is lovely (get it used).

Any of those with an ETTL flash bouncing off the ceiling/walls would be wonderful for indoor family stuff and great outdoor too. You wouldn't even notice an image quality difference at lower ISO with flash indoors with a fairly newer camera. Good glass and good light goes a long way, compared to simply getting a newer sensor. And with some flash you can go lower on ISO, and with faster focal-ratio (F2.8) you can use lower ISO, and guard your image quality more on that T1i. This is what I'd do at least. And I shoot full frame & APS-C. I much prefer these days the smaller camera, smaller lenses, and a flash, over dealing with a huge loud camera at family get togethers and indoors.

Other fun and interesting lass indoors is an ultrawide, such as a Tokina 11-16 F2.8. I use ultrawide far more often indoors with family stuff than anything.

Very best,

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,282 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 15, 2018 11:49 |  #7

I'm still using 500D since I purchased it as new and current model. And I sold 5Dc and then sold 5D MKII and still keeping this camera. It feels significantly better build comparing to newer models.

I quickly became frustrated with IQ from this camera, but went to get better lens route. Back then it was Canon L lenses. 70-200 F4 L blew me away. Colors, contrast, rendering were astonishing. They didn't have good kit lens back then, I went for Tammy 28-75 2.8, it is not L lens at all, but was better than Canon kit lens.
Now Canon has STM version of kit lens with improved optics. But I have 24 EFS STM lens and it makes big difference as well.
For 1K euro you could probably get 24-105 F4 L IS and Canon E-TTL flash of 400 series. IS will make images sharp and bouncing flash will gives no deep shadows.

For FF Canon 6D and 50 1.5 STM is great fun. 50mm lens is amazing and enough almost for everything on FF DSLR.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Chrizz
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 15, 2018 11:53 |  #8

Hm,
let me ask a totaly newbie question!
How much better my IQ would be if I use one of the lens you recommended instead of my 18-55 (that i use mostly with family currently)???

MalVeauX
12,702 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 15, 2018 11:58 |  #9

Chrizz wrote in post #18541426 (external link)
Hm,
How much better my IQ would be if I use one of the lens you recommended instead of my 18-55 (that i use mostly with family currently)???

The image quality from using a flash bounced on the ceiling would be several orders of magnitude greater than any lens you put on that camera, or a newer camera, frankly.

Very best,

Chrizz
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 15, 2018 12:00 |  #10

kf095 wrote in post #18541422 (external link)
I'm still using 500D since I purchased it as new and current model. And I sold 5Dc and then sold 5D MKII and still keeping this camera. It feels significantly better build comparing to newer models.

I quickly became frustrated with IQ from this camera, but went to get better lens route. Back then it was Canon L lenses. 70-200 F4 L blew me away. Colors, contrast, rendering were astonishing. They didn't have good kit lens back then, I went for Tammy 28-75 2.8, it is not L lens at all, but was better than Canon kit lens.
Now Canon has STM version of kit lens with improved optics. But I have 24 EFS STM lens and it makes big difference as well.
For 1K euro you could probably get 24-105 F4 L IS and Canon E-TTL flash of 400 series. IS will make images sharp and bouncing flash will gives no deep shadows.

For FF Canon 6D and 50 1.5 STM is great fun. 50mm lens is amazing and enough almost for everything on FF DSLR.

Hey KF, long time no see:)
Iam glad your eye caught my post!

Since you are in my boat,
what do you think? Go with FF or go with better glass?
You know what i want, better IQ ! I am not happy!

also guys,
if i invest in FF would i be like investing in the future, or does not matter?

thanks to all again.

Chrizz
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 15, 2018 12:02 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #11

crystal clear. thanks!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,273 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 15, 2018 12:23 |  #12

Chrizz wrote in post #18541426 (external link)
Hm,

Is this the latest STM version of that lens? There are something like 6+ versions of the 18-55. The STM versions are improved over the older non-STM.

Chrizz
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 15, 2018 12:36 |  #13

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18541447 (external link)
Is this the latest STM version of that lens? There are something like 6+ versions of the 18-55. The STM versions are improved over the older non-STM.

its the lens that came with the camera. i have it in my hands right now. It justs says "EFS 18-55mm"

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,273 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Jan 15, 2018 12:45 as a reply to  @ Chrizz's post |  #14

There are better 18-55 out there, but you would still be stuck with a slow lens should you pick a new one up.

https://www.usa.canon.​com …-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm (external link)

You can find this lens on the used markets here and on other boards for around $90. This new one has better IQ, but it will have a negligible impact on your image quality when compared to using flash and/or faster lenses (ie. larger apertures).

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,282 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 15, 2018 14:02 |  #15

Chrizz wrote in post #18541431 (external link)
Hey KF, long time no see:)
Iam glad your eye caught my post!

Since you are in my boat,
what do you think? Go with FF or go with better glass?
You know what i want, better IQ ! I am not happy!

also guys,
if i invest in FF would i be like investing in the future, or does not matter?

thanks to all again.

At your service! :)

It is very individual. I still like what 500D gives me with L and modern STM lenses. And I like 500D size.
FF... if you will take DSLR route... I had 5Dc and I had 5D MKII... With zoom lens on them they became too bulky.
And I started to feel the weight. First, after volunteering for few hours and then just after handling it at home.
I sold them and no regrets, before I sold them I stopped to take them outside for my own photography. They were too bulky to have them while I walked with daughter and dog. I switched to tiny Lumux P&S for it.
Later on I received FF digital Leica as birthday gift. This one is easy to carry on.
I like RF and RF style cameras more than DSLRs or DSLR style now. Only one eye is blocked and most of the face is open.

Your situation has one benefit, you are at the clean start almost.
For 1K Euro very different options became available since 500D was new.
It might be something like Sony A7 series camera. Tiny FF. The only problem is to find matching in size and decent lens for this camera.
Or here is Pen F digital. Small camera, small sensor, plenty of good lenses and surprisingly good and high ISO with quality in pictures overall.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

1,726 views & 5 likes for this thread
500d upgrade opinions.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.