Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 15 Jan 2018 (Monday) 07:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Think I want a new monitor

Nick ­ Aufiero
459 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2013

Jan 15, 2018 07:53 |  #1

So ever since I started photography I’ve had a Dell ultra sharp 1440 P monitor and it is been amazing. I don’t really have any complaints but I was wanting to upgrade to a 4K. I have the 2713 HM. And again it is been a really reliable monitor but I’m just wanting to upgrade to maybe a 27 inch 4K monitor. I’m trying to get some outside perspective to see what may be my top three options are. My budget is up to about $1000. Maybe a little bit more but for budget sake I’m trying to at least set a limit ha ha. Naturally I default to another 27 inch Dell ultra sharp. I know one can be had for around $579 right now I believe so that seems like the best bang for the buck but I was wanting to see what other people thought?

My site is www.NickAufiero.com (external link)

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,257 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 15, 2018 10:49 |  #2

The Dell that you're considering is a good monitor for photography: UHD resolution, IPS, and 99% SRGB color. If you'd like to compare other brands and specs, BenQ makes a photography series. If you get in the $1000+ budget, then the monitors offer higher color depth. B+H has a good price on the BenQ 2W271. It's 99% aRGB, HDR, UHD, IPS, and includes detachable hood. The main thing about the HDR monitors is that they also require newer graphics cards that support the HDR standard. Adobe recommends Nvidia Quadro, since they've fully supported OpenGL (I've checked and see that an older Quadro card I have does support 30bit, as well as a GeForce 1050 that I have in a new laptop also seems to support 30bit). If you need a new video card, it looks like the Quadro K620 is a popular, "cheaper" professional card.

B&H: BenQ SW271 (external link)

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Nick ­ Aufiero
THREAD ­ STARTER
459 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2013

Jan 15, 2018 12:19 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #3

Yeah I also use my rig for gaming and streaming so I have an 1080 and getting a 1080 TI next.
I unfortunately will never get a 10 bit card unless I am make a very large amount of money monthly and at that rate will build a second rig tbh.

I definitely would love to make the upgrade but for me its not worth it right now.

Especially since I don't do print or anything high dollar or color intensive. tbh I actually shoot 90% black and white haha

but yeah man
I love the ultrasharp monitors but have been considering upgrading to a professional quality monitor for a while now.

My site is www.NickAufiero.com (external link)

davesrose
3,257 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 15, 2018 12:59 |  #4

Well for 10 bit with PS, people are reporting that new GeForce cards work. Older Quadros have a better chance at supporting 10 bit since they're designed to fully support all OpenGL features. I've checked my own Lenovo laptop (a few month old one with GTX 1050) and it supports Photoshop 10bit mode. One other thing about UHD resolution: it's better to have Windows 10 vs 7: 7 just relies on the program to scale fonts to the desktop font scaling. Windows 10 has some more advanced features for scaling an app's fonts if it doesn't support hiDPI (many new versions of productivity software does support hiDPI though).

EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Nogo
I could have been worse....
6,854 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited 7 months ago by Nogo. (3 edits in all)

Jan 15, 2018 13:27 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #5

Check the specs on the Dell. Amazon lists 99.9% sRGB but it also list 99.9% aRGB as well as some other standards. It is not simply a 99% sRGB monitor. Go to Dell itself to get the factory stats. I am referring to the Dell Ultrasharp U2718Q (external link). The older 4k model does have less color depth.

That 99.9% sRGB is for the factory calibration, not the specs after a true calibration.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

davesrose
3,257 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 7 months ago by davesrose.

Jan 15, 2018 13:45 as a reply to  @ Nogo's post |  #6

Read the OP's posts again. He was looking at models like the Dell P2715Q (external link) ($549.99). As my previous posts said, the models that are $1000+ offer HDR and bigger color space (including aRGB). The Dell you're linking to is different and is almost $1600: more expensive then the BenQ I linked to.

smugmug (external link)

Nogo
6,854 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited 7 months ago by Nogo.

Jan 15, 2018 13:51 |  #7

davesrose wrote in post #18541512 (external link)
Read the OP's posts again. He was looking at the Dell P2715Q (external link) ($549.99). As my previous posts said, the models that are $1000+ offer HDR and bigger color space. The Dell you're linking to is different and is over $1500: more expensive then the BenQ I linked to.

Dell lists that model as $1500.00. But only Dell lists it at that price. For example B&H lists it at $494.00 (external link)

Philip

davesrose
3,257 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 7 months ago by davesrose. (3 edits in all)

Jan 15, 2018 14:03 as a reply to  @ Nogo's post |  #8

Something is amiss: the specs with that B&H link are different then the Dell link (different connectors and color gamut specs).

Edit: found the difference in model number....this is the B&H link for the same Dell ($1400 at B&H): Dell UP2718Q (external link)

smugmug (external link)

Nogo
6,854 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 15, 2018 15:25 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #9

That monitor number really confuses things. Even the search engine was confused. It showed the UP on the Dell site when I searched for the U2718Q.

Sorry. The UP at the U price looked like a steal of a deal. . . I should have known something was up.

Philip

sponsored links

921 views & 1 like for this thread
Think I want a new monitor
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.