Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Jan 2018 (Monday) 21:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I’m new to flash...

AV ­ Stills!
42 posts
Joined Jan 2018
Post edited over 1 year ago by AV Stills!.

Jan 15, 2018 21:26 |  #1

...any suggestions on what I should be invest in to start? (6D/primes):-D

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take!-AV

sponsored links
Lotto
Goldmember
2,650 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 15, 2018 21:46 |  #2

Photo gear purchases are not investments, in most cases. Buy real estate instead :)

Come on, can you provide more details on what you are planning to use the flash for?

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
985 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Jan 15, 2018 22:00 |  #3

Maybe rent a strobe or go to a studio and talk to the owner. Read, study, YouTube. Buy used. Lots of options.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

AV ­ Stills!
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Jan 2018

Jan 15, 2018 22:00 as a reply to  @ Lotto's post |  #4

Too me, anything photography is an investment. I want to get into flash so I can be in control of the light. Whenever, wherever.

AV ­ Stills!
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Jan 2018

Jan 15, 2018 22:01 as a reply to  @ Angmo's post |  #5

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by davesrose.

Jan 15, 2018 22:13 |  #6

Get one flash at first. You can get a stand for it, transmitter/receiver (or hot shoe to pc cord). Experiment with placement and modifiers (you can build some). You can also place reflectors for secondary bounce lighting. Zack Arias is a good photographer to get insight on one light setups. Only when you’ve mastered 1 light, think about adding a second ;-)a

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

AV ­ Stills!
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Jan 2018

Jan 15, 2018 22:19 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #7

Thanks for the reply! All great points, will try for sure.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,332 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems. (5 edits in all)

Jan 15, 2018 22:31 |  #8

So the current Kool-Aid that most of us are guzzling is Godox aka Flahspoint R2 from Adorama.

I'd look at the TTL R2 with lithium ion battery for starters;
https://www.adorama.co​m/fplfsmzl2ca.html (external link)

It is pretty much all the speedlite anyone could possible need in a single on camera flash.

But what makes it so addictive vs. the rest of the pack is that Godox is constantly evolving it's entire lighting package and have been the trend setter in getting everything to work together as part of a large (huge in this case) comprehensive system.

http://flashhavoc.com/​godox-flash-system-overview/ (external link)

With the light I link to, you can use it to control, or it it to groups of pretty much everything Godox sells from sub $100.00 manual speedlites, to $700.00+ studio strobes.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

jlafferty
248 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Jan 15, 2018 23:15 |  #9

Nailed it with the Kool-Aid :D

The Flashpoint line offers an entry level starter option - the speedlight, suggested by Cyber here - and then room for growth.

It also offers lights which are currently unlike any other - namely the Evolv200, which on outside appearance seems to be a speedlight, but behaves like a monolight in output. Gang up two with the twin adapter and you get not only one more stop, but a modeling light also. They're pretty amazing.

The same trigger - the XPro - controls both, allowing you to remotely trigger but also adjust power. It's dead simple. It also gets you high speed sync - allowing strobe syncing up to 1/8000th shutter speed, thought with significant exposure penalty. But… as a full light to ambient, it can be awesome.

The batteries across the lighting system - the Evolv, the Streaklight TTL, the Xplor - all last about the same amount - around 500 full power discharges. In practice this means 2-3 shoots before a recharge is needed.

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18541952 (external link)
So the current Kool-Aid that most of us are guzzling is Godox aka Flahspoint R2 from Adorama.

I'd look at the TTL R2 with lithium ion battery for starters;
https://www.adorama.co​m/fplfsmzl2ca.html (external link)

It is pretty much all the speedlite anyone could possible need in a single on camera flash.

But what makes it so addictive vs. the rest of the pack is that Godox is constantly evolving it's entire lighting package and have been the trend setter in getting everything to work together as part of a large (huge in this case) comprehensive system.

http://flashhavoc.com/​godox-flash-system-overview/ (external link)

With the light I link to, you can use it to control, or it it to groups of pretty much everything Godox sells from sub $100.00 manual speedlites, to $700.00+ studio strobes.

Current Portfolio (external link)

inkista
606 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 16, 2018 02:05 |  #10

+1 on just starting out with a single TTL speedlight (hotshoe flash), preferably one that can swivel 360º.

There are actually five Godox X/Flashpoint R2 speedlight models:

• TT350-C ("Zoom mini"), TTL/HSS, but mini-speedlight. Only powered by 2xAA, only swivels 270º, no recycle beep, no sync or external battery ports. Good if you shoot a small mirrorless body, or need a small travel flash, but probably not your top choice. (US$85)
  • TT600 ("Zoom Manual"), Manual only. 4xAA. (US$60)
  • TT685-C ("Zoom TTL"), TTL/HSS, 4xAA. (US$110). My first recommendation, particularly if your budget is low.
  • V850II ("Zoom Li-on Manual"), Manual only. li-on (US$140)
  • V860II ("Zoom Li-on TTL"), TTL/HSS, li-on (US$180)

All five have built-in radio transceivers in the Godox X system and can be dumb optical slaves in S1/S2 modes. All can have their manual power levels set and use HSS as radio slaves. Only the TTL models can be TTL/HSS radio masters, have their firmware upgraded, or be smart optical slave/masters in Canon's optical eTTL system. The four full-sized speedlights have 360º swivel, and a recycle beep. Only the 4xAA-powered flashes have external battery ports. The Li-on battery packs cost about $40; charges around $20.

I tend to recommend a TT685C over a V860II for a newb, because it's half the price of a V860II+1 extra battery pack. But if you hate AA battery management and have heavy usage patterns, the V860II is probably a better choice. I'm a hobbyist with light usage patterns and have only once run into a situation where I'd have preferred the li-on packs. A professional event shooter would have a completely different take and would choose the V860II hands-down.

The full-sized speedlights are roughly the same size/shape/weight/powe​r output as a Canon 580EX or 600EX-RT model.

In addition to the flash, you'll want a radio transmitter to act as master (Xpro-C is nicer than the X1T-C, but you can use either or another Godox TTL speedlight). And you'll probably want a lightstand, a swivel or bracket to mount the flash on the lightstand, and some kind of modifier (umbrella or softbox), so you can do a one-light Strobist setup to get started (external link).

However. I would also urge you, if you are completely new to flash to a) master ambient-only exposure first. Be comfortable shooting in M mode and swapping stops between iso, aperture, and shutter speed, and b) master on-camera bouncing (external link) with TTL (and M when required) before going on to off-camera flash. They're both basic skillsets upon which you can build, and if you're missing both of them, learning off-camera flash is going to be harder. Also, when you begin with off-camera flash, start with a single light. Again, it'll make it easier to suss out what's going on then trying to jump in immediately with, say, a key/fill/background/ri​m setup.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 16, 2018 02:15 |  #11

Get a 550EX off ebay. $50-60. Decide what else you NEED before you spend a pile of money.

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
521 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited over 1 year ago by soeren. (2 edits in all)

Jan 16, 2018 04:29 |  #12

Godox /Flashpoint, No doubt bout that. I considered any makes thats speedlights only deadends.
Only if your a professional photographer can you consider gear purchase an investment. If it helps you make money its a good Investment if not its a bad investment :D

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,010 posts
Gallery: 1466 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 16, 2018 08:15 |  #13

I had Canon & Yongnuo flashes.

Now, I'm using the Flashpoint (Godox) R2 TTL Zoom Speedlites, branded Flashpoint through Adorama. They're inexpensive for what they are. I find these ones to be well made. The Lithium Ion version of the R2 TTL is excellent, I paid the extra to go this way because the battery is excellent, tons and tons of shots on a single charge, fast recharge, good recycle time, and easy to manage off-camera with a transmitter (The R2 communication system is so easy and handles everything). They go on sale now and then, well worth it for the Li-On version for me, as I flash a lot. I went with the Flashpoint through Adorama so that I have warranty & support here in the States, rather than attempting to bother with anything overseas.

I also picked up the Zoom Mini (TT350) to compliment it for off-camera support, it's tiny, but still does ETTL/HSS and I'm so pleased with it that I got another. They go on sale now and then too.

If you ever add strobes, the R2 communication system will talk with the speedlites, strobes, etc, even if some are in ETTL and some are in Manual, etc. That's the beauty of R2.

I tasted the Kool-Aid, it's good stuff.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

kmilo
327 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 16, 2018 08:37 |  #14

I second this.

Bassat wrote in post #18542040 (external link)
Get a 550EX off ebay. $50-60. Decide what else you NEED before you spend a pile of money.

Kris
Insulting critiques always welcomed. flickr (external link)

rburgett
63 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 16, 2018 12:00 |  #15

Check out the Strobist website for more info and to learn how to use it.
http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com/2006/03/lightin​g-101.html (external link)

sponsored links

1,765 views & 15 likes for this thread
I’m new to flash...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.