Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 15 Jan 2015 (Thursday) 06:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RRS tripod equivalent to Gitzo series 3

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,772 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 15, 2015 06:31 |  #1

Which tripod from RRS has similar or equivalent specifications to Gitzo series 3 [mountaineer] CF?

I am looking for a tripod that has 3 main features:

1. Load capacity minimum 20KGs even it is overkill
2. Folding length less than 60cm [<23"]
3. Weight less than 2KG, but i may accept weight around 2.5KG only to give rigidity or sturdy to the tripod

Any recommendations?

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
peter_n
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 15, 2015 09:08 |  #2

I think the only tripod that RRS makes that comes with a center column is their TQC-14 which is a small travel tripod. Their regular tripods are all systematics, although you can buy center columns for them separately. They have a new series 3 model TVC-34 which is a direct competitor to the Gitzo 3542LS, with very similar specs and price.

~Peter

Tareq
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,772 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 15, 2015 13:04 |  #3

peter_n wrote in post #17383635 (external link)
I think the only tripod that RRS makes that comes with a center column is their TQC-14 which is a small travel tripod. Their regular tripods are all systematics, although you can buy center columns for them separately. They have a new series 3 model TVC-34 which is a direct competitor to the Gitzo 3542LS, with very similar specs and price.

I see, then i have to keep a look at that model

Thank you very much!!!

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 15, 2015 20:38 |  #4

They also have the 3 leg section series 3 tripod that was their very first model, the TVC-33. Inevitably, it has a much longer folded length than the new TVC-34 which isn't so good for travel.

The Gitzo 3542LS/RRS TVC-34 specs are great for an average sized person who doesn't use very big lenses and may occasionally take the tripod on a trip. I use a Gitzo 3541LS and it's a really good tripod too, although no longer manufactured. I have a Gitzo center column for it also which I've never used, but will someday...

~Peter

Tareq
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,772 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 16, 2015 04:50 |  #5

peter_n wrote in post #17384632 (external link)
They also have the 3 leg section series 3 tripod that was their very first model, the TVC-33. Inevitably, it has a much longer folded length than the new TVC-34 which isn't so good for travel.

The Gitzo 3542LS/RRS TVC-34 specs are great for an average sized person who doesn't use very big lenses and may occasionally take the tripod on a trip. I use a Gitzo 3541LS and it's a really good tripod too, although no longer manufactured. I have a Gitzo center column for it also which I've never used, but will someday...

This is the main reason i use Gitzo series 3 and wanted to upgrade it to newer version of Gitzo or RRS, i want a tripod that is for travel with good enough load capacity even for long lenses or heavy gear so it is overkill for smaller gear and folding smaller, i have Gitzo series 2 but it is not so sturdy enough to be honest, and i always feel worried it may not give sharp results for longer exposure in windy conditions.

I am not sure if i should go with 3 sections or 4 sections legs, i did read the details between the two and still if i should look at any tripod overall or each/specific detail must be considered.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 16, 2015 09:00 |  #6

For travel I'd definitely go with a 4 leg section model. 26 inches is too long as I generally travel as light as possible.

~Peter

Tareq
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,772 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 16, 2015 17:11 |  #7

peter_n wrote in post #17385236 (external link)
For travel I'd definitely go with a 4 leg section model. 26 inches is too long as I generally travel as light as possible.

Yes, i agree, i want lighter but sturdy enough tripod, so if that 4 leg sections is lighter or folder smaller then it will be a better choice, and sure i can read each tripod specifications to see which one is meeting the needs, but hope i don't buy another tripod and then it is same as what i have already if not better, all those tripods are very expensive and i don't look at anything less than Gitzo/RRS, even Manfrotto tripods i don't look at nowadays.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

koala ­ yummies
735 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 21, 2015 17:27 |  #8

I have two RRS, a TVC-33 for primary use, and a TVC-24 for travel. Peter has some good recommendations and I also suggest looking at the TVC-34 and also the 24 for your load capacity, weight and collapsed dimension requirements. Both are quite short, light and robust. The TVC-34 is an inch longer than the 24 when collapsed while 10" taller in extended-height but the larger-diameter 3-series leg-apex and extra pound of weight is another thing to consider as well along with what head you'll be using.

The TVC-24 with BH-40 is a total collapsed length of 22.2". Mine pictured below is a little longer at 23.5" but I have two additional clamps between the head and legs, one for a removable carrying strap and the other so the ball-head can be removed from the legs easily (dovetail on the bottom of the head). When the ball-head is removed the legs are just 20" (with clamp) when collapsed and the ball-head can go in the camera bag. It is a little extended-height limited for taller people (I'm 6'1") but for it's uses as a smaller lighter travel-use/lots of walking/hiking tripod, it works perfectly. I pretty much never need shoot above eye-level when out and about and crouching down to frame upwards isn't a deal-breaker for me but might be for others.

Even though both the 24 and 34 are 4-leg sections, they're much more stable than my 3-section thicker-leg (aluminum) Manfrotto I keep around. Regarding center sections personally I avoid them now but you can always add and remove them pretty easily with RRS.

TVC-33 and TVC-24, you can see how much narrower the 2-series apex is compared to the 3-series:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Though the TQC-14 is another consideration as it's their smallest and lightest overall tripod and comes with a center column like Peter mentioned (which is also removable). It's just as strong, there's a photo of the RRS owner hanging his entire body weight from one demonstrating that all RRS load-capacities are pretty conservative:
http://blog.reallyrigh​tstuff.com …3/03/TQC-Joe-1024x656.jpg (external link)
I got a hands on with the TQC-14 when I visited RRS and was extremely impressed with it but ultimately decided on the 24.

It's a tough decision to make spending this much on a travel tripod, I wasn't going to spend this much without a hands-on/trip up to Obispo, so hopefully this personal experience helps as not everyone can get a hands-on before buying.

flickr (external link)

i-G12
Wat?
1,509 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 22, 2015 03:11 |  #9

Great review.

Thanks for sharing that.

I'm still trying to figure out which RSS tripod to get and yur comments shed some additional light on the issue for me!

Tareq
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,772 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 30, 2015 12:54 |  #10

Thank you very much, it is helpful indeed!!!

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

jlt23
427 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 31, 2015 10:36 |  #11

I have virtually the same setup as koala yummies. I really like RRS gear and recommend them. I also have gitzo, but RRS takes the edge for me.

James

00derek
62 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 19, 2018 08:24 as a reply to  @ koala yummies's post |  #12

Hi,

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a TVC-33, but I'd like to know if you think the TVC-34 is significantly less stable with 4 leg sections. Portability is important to me too, so if the difference in stability is small, I'd rather get the extra benefit of compactness. I'm sure a 3 section will always be slightly better than a 4, but is it better enough to have to give up the convenience of being able to pack the smaller tripod easily?

Thanks in advance.

Derek.

ShadowHillsPhoto
520 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited 7 months ago by ShadowHillsPhoto.

Jan 19, 2018 10:14 |  #13

00derek wrote in post #18544333 (external link)
Hi,

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a TVC-33, but I'd like to know if you think the TVC-34 is significantly less stable with 4 leg sections. Portability is important to me too, so if the difference in stability is small, I'd rather get the extra benefit of compactness. I'm sure a 3 section will always be slightly better than a 4, but is it better enough to have to give up the convenience of being able to pack the smaller tripod easily?

Thanks in advance.

Derek.

I haven't used the regular TVC-34, but I do own the TVC-34L and it is rock solid. I've had some hands on experience with the TVC-33 as well, and while it may be theoretically more stable I think you would be hard pressed to ever notice a difference. My TVC-34L mostly gets used with a 600mm f4 IS II, frequently at 840mm, and I've never felt i was lacking stability. I also use it for landscapes and long exposure work, and I mount an AstroTrac to it for tracked star shots

peter_n
Goldmember
2,391 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 19, 2018 16:08 |  #14

Well this thread is 2 years old and I'm sure Tareq has made his decision and is enjoying his now relatively new gear. :) Modern leg locks are no longer candidates for the transmission of vibration so a 3 or 4 leg section can be chosen on other criteria.

I've sold all my Gitzo tripods and bought a RRS TVC-24 last July after finally being able to evaluate RRS products for myself in the B&H store in NYC. The TVC-24 is just 0.4lbs heavier than my travel tripod and folds to the same size. It's also way smaller in diameter than my Gitzo series-3 systematic. A series-2 RRS tripod is equivalent to a series-3 Gitzo - the model numbers do not match in terms of their specs. I only found this out in the store last year.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

~Peter

stevewf1
775 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 20, 2018 02:02 |  #15

I have the RRS TQC-14 tripod with the RRS BH-30 ball head and it's really stable. Holds my 7Dii with grip and various lenses steady with no problem. The center column is also very steady if you don't extend it all the way. Careful with the center column though. The "butterfly" ring to loosen/tighten the column can chop up your fingers because of its close proximity with the ball head if you're not careful.

Overall, I'm very happy with this small but sturdy tripod setup but keep in mind, the legs and ball head together will set you back almost $1,200...

Steve

sponsored links

6,157 views & 5 likes for this thread
RRS tripod equivalent to Gitzo series 3
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.