Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Jan 2018 (Friday) 15:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Want a Third Lens

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 19, 2018 15:11 |  #1

I currently own Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II and Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 vc. The Tamron I got a couple years back to replace the Canon 18-55 IS. Don't use the 18-55 anymore. I am using these lenses on the Canon 80D. They have been used for baptisms, baby showers, birthdays, sweet 16 events. Also have started doing portrait and baby photography, occasional product photography. My own personal photographs of family or my printed graphic design jobs for website.

I don't do landscapes, action, sports, macro. Don't have much use for telephoto lens either. Would the nifty fifty be good close up lens for baby photography? I saw a couple of videos and only a small amount mentioned about macro lenses used for close ups. The only action/sports I have done was a monster truck and son's soccer games (couple) a couple of years. Did rent the Canon EF 70-200mm for a son's game. I liked it but never bought one as I probably would not use it as much as I would like to.

Would like to know what recommended lens is suggested for the above type of photography I usually do. Although I would like to get a prime lens, most likely I won't be able to get one just yet. I know best way is to rent one but with many choices out there, I don't want to rent many of them. Hopefully, I may be able to get suggestions from the experienced photographers., then will rent and try it out.

Would like to spend no more than $500-$600 if this is a good price range. Thanks for the help.

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 19, 2018 15:20 |  #2

If I had your gear, I'd be considering several things:

1.) You need something wider. My choice was the Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8.

2.) You need something faster. Until last week, I used a 28 1.8, and liked it. I just picked up a Sigma 24mm f/1.4 Art. I like it more.

3.) You need something that focuses closer. It is hard to beat the EF-s 60mm f/2.8.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 19, 2018 15:35 |  #3

Thanks for the reply Bassat. How do those lenses compare to Canon line? Not that I am oppose to other brands, more of a curiosity.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 19, 2018 16:13 |  #4

Bassat wrote in post #18544592 (external link)

2.) You need something faster. Until last week, I used a 28 1.8, and liked it. I just picked up a Sigma 24mm f/1.4 Art. I like it more.

3.) You need something that focuses closer. It is hard to beat the EF-s 60mm f/2.8.

firme wrote in post #18544602 (external link)
Thanks for the reply Bassat. How do those lenses compare to Canon line? Not that I am oppose to other brands, more of a curiosity.

Canon doesn't make anything comparable to the Tokina 11-20, for crop-sensor cameras. Read some reviews of the Tokina 11-16. The 11-20 is better.

My biggest complaint about the 28 1.8 was corner resolution. In the center of the frame, it is excellent at f/1.8. The Sigma 24 Art is hugely better in the corners, even at f/1.4, than the Canon is at f/1.8. Then there is the Canon 24mm LII, at $1600. I got the Sigma for $600.

IMHO, the Canon EF-s 60 is the best aps-c coverage macro lens you can get.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 19, 2018 16:41 |  #5

Thanks for clarifying.

Now if you don't mind, what do you use your lenses for? As mentioned the macro lens, I would be interested for using it for baby photography.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 19, 2018 17:12 |  #6

firme wrote in post #18544654 (external link)
Thanks for clarifying.

Now if you don't mind, what do you use your lenses for? As mentioned the macro lens, I would be interested for using it for baby photography.

I use my Tokina 11-20 as my indoor zoom. I can get most of a room in the frame at one of those focal lengths. Mostly family get togethers, birthday parties and such. It is also my wide outdoor lens. I used to take 6D/17-40 to Wrigley Field. I prefer the smaller/lighter/faster 80D/11-20 setup. For really large-scale, up-close work I'd rather have a Sigma 8-16, but it wouldn't be wide enough all the time, either. Think shooting a walking tour of downtown Chicago.

The 28 1.8/24 1.4 are both excellent low-light, fast-focus, HUGE aperture lenses. I use both on 6D and 80D for a variety of stuff. On aps-c, this is about my favorite focal length for general indoor (without the distortion of the 11-20) work, and outdoors it is perfect for environmental portrait work, like my grandson playing on his swingset. Those really nice dinner-plate shots with the food in focus and everything else not? The 24mm f/1.4 on full frame is perfect for that.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better baby portrait lens for a crop camera than the EF-s 60mm f/2.8 macro. Both the focal length and the max aperture are perfect for that kind of work, and you don't have to worry about being too close to your subject. You can get within 6 inches of your subject if necessary. The aps-c/60mm setup is similar to full-frame/85 1.8, EXCEPT minimum focus distance with the 85 is over 3 feet.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 19, 2018 20:50 |  #7

Thanks again. Definitely have to read on those lenses. Have no knowledge on them and just have to see which one will be better for my next lens. I really appreciate your help.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 20, 2018 22:10 |  #8

firme wrote in post #18544589 (external link)
I am using these lenses on the Canon 80D. They have been used for baptisms, baby showers, birthdays, sweet 16 events. Also have started doing portrait and baby photography, occasional product photography. My own personal photographs of family or my printed graphic design jobs for website.

All of this make me think "what kind of flash do you have"

As great as lenses are they are nothing without light. Natural light is great, until it's not, then a good flash is an amazing tool to have (but it does take some learning and practice to use properly)

Have you ever found 17mm not wide enough? If you have then a nice wide angle might be the way to go. Is the 50mm to long for your prime lens needs? Personally I like a 35mm lens on a crop camera as a full/half body portrait lens and 50mm'ish (I use a 56mm) as a tighter half body to head shot lens (thats very general and both lenses can cover the others area depending on working distance). The canon 35mm f2 IS is a very nice lens if you waned to go that route.

My main question is 'What do you feel you need?' Have you ever been shooting and said to your self 'Man I really wish I have XXXXX!' If you have then get that. If you havant then do you really need anything?

daleg
687 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by daleg. (6 edits in all)

Jan 20, 2018 23:43 |  #9

Hi Tom,
as always, you offer solid suggestions. I can't comment about Sigma lenses, as I don't use them, otherwise, here are my thoughts:

1.) on crops maybe consider Canon's EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS stm. it's small, light, inexpensive, stabilized and hard not to like. due to this little lens, my ef-s 10-22mm, a former fave, will be for sale.

2.) I like Canon's EF-S 24/2.8 pancake (a 38.4 equiv). for longer focal lenghts (<50mm) on crop bodies, I'll use the small 35/2 (non-IS) or the EF 40/2.8 STM pancake (or adapt the manual focus voigtländer 40/2 SLII pancake). I use my 28/1.8 for nighttime street on FF & film bodies. I also like and use the 28/2.8 IS USM (sibbling to the 35/2 IS) if subjects are not in motion, again on FF's.

3.) for close-up/macro - maybe consider the (EF) Tamron SP 60mm f2 Macro. the only reason I've not used Canon's 60mm EF-S - I tripped across a used tamron for a fantastic price. again, I don't often use aps-c bodies for close-up or macro work. but this lens has not disappointed. imho, it's worth a look and offers a working distance of <4".

Dale

daleg
687 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by daleg.

Jan 21, 2018 01:06 |  #10

a few thoughts, responding directly to the OP:

canon doesn't make "L" lenses in EF-S mount. if they did, the EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM would lead the list to qualify for "L" status. by far, it's Canon's best offering in EF-S, at least that's my opinion. for image quality, it's my favorite crop body lens, no contest. while I generally like Tamron's recent offerings, I love this specific Canon lens. I highly recommended this chunk of glass. I cherish my copy.

seriously, it could be your one and only lens - for as long as you'd like it to be - imho, it is that good. it's effective range (1.6x crop) is 27-88mm. for me, my default/fave effective focal length is 35mm. and this lens goes wider. again for me, I don't generally need longer than 85mm for most of my portrait or street scenes. and this lens goes slightly longer. look for a clean, babied copy and have it CLA'd (my copy isn't for sale).

If I had to survive with but a single body/lens, this lens could qualify - and I rarely use zooms.

as to your 50/1.8 Mk II, I'd recommend Canon's newer STM or step-back to the prior metal mount 50/1.8. given your current gear, this lens is your telephoto/portrait lens. and for such, the 50/1.8 II wouldn't be at the top of my list. if you really want a prime in this range, and if you want something better than Canon's EF 40/2.8 pancake, consider Tamron's SP 45/1.8 VC.

finally, if you want a single lens that may never need to be removed from you camera body, look at the Tamron 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD MACRO. You may find a used copy well within your budget. Unless you are producing billboard copy, pixel peepers will be hard pressed to distinguish the output of this lens from the highest quality Leica images possible. I've done that test and have often thought about revising my ultra kit. not sure if this is amazing or distressing. And by the way, Tamron has recently upped the zoom range with a new 18-400 crop lens. just bizarre. While I cannot speak to the 18-400 from personal experience, the 16-300mm on the little SL1 was/is a confounding surprise.

good luck and never quit asking yourself - what needs to be different? and where are you currently constrained?

dale

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 21, 2018 01:07 |  #11

Gremlin75, I have Canon 580ex. I have been interested in telephoto lens, but I have thought about how much I would really use it and didn't buy it. Also was interested in fish lens but again, will not use it as much to justify the purchase. Not sure if my thinking makes sense, but wanted to add to my equipment to learn something new and/or possibly help me with what I photograph. So not sure what I have is more than sufficient and due to my lack of knowledge of lenses is making me think that I need a new one. Macro has always caught my attention, so this lens I would end up using and not just have it stored.

When I bought the Tamron, I bought it used and wanted to get something better than the 18-55 and was able to afford at time of purchasing. Because it is the only lens I have, I do like the lens just as I like the 50mm.

To answer your question, I feel that I could make good use of a macro lens.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 21, 2018 01:13 |  #12

Thank you for the insight Dale.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by gremlin75.

Jan 21, 2018 08:15 |  #13

firme wrote in post #18545577 (external link)
To answer your question, I feel that I could make good use of a macro lens.

Then the canon 60mm f2.8 macro and 100mm f2.8 macro are both great options.

I'd personally suggest the 100mm over the 60mm just so you'd have a good telephoto option for portraits as well as being able to use it as a macro lens.

If you just want to try your hand a macro to see if you like it then another, cheaper, option would be macro extension tubes. For the most part they won't give you true 1:1 macro ability but they will decrease the focus distance of your lenses while increasing the magnification.

I no longer own a dedicated macro lens as I don't shoot "macro photography" but I always have an extension tube with me!

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 21, 2018 09:39 |  #14

daleg wrote in post #18545576 (external link)
a few thoughts, responding directly to the OP:

canon doesn't make "L" lenses in EF-S mount. if they did, the EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM would lead the list to qualify for "L" status. by far, it's Canon's best offering in EF-S, at least that's my opinion. for image quality, it's my favorite crop body lens, no contest. while I generally like Tamron's recent offerings, I love this specific Canon lens. I highly recommended this chunk of glass. I cherish my copy.

seriously, it could be your one and only lens - for as long as you'd like it to be - imho, it is that good. it's effective range (1.6x crop) is 27-88mm. for me, my default/fave effective focal length is 35mm. and this lens goes wider. again for me, I don't generally need longer than 85mm for most of my portrait or street scenes. and this lens goes slightly longer. look for a clean, babied copy and have it CLA'd (my copy isn't for sale).

If I had to survive with but a single body/lens, this lens could qualify - and I rarely use zooms.

as to your 50/1.8 Mk II, I'd recommend Canon's newer STM or step-back to the prior metal mount 50/1.8. given your current gear, this lens is your telephoto/portrait lens. and for such, the 50/1.8 II wouldn't be at the top of my list. if you really want a prime in this range, and if you want something better than Canon's EF 40/2.8 pancake, consider Tamron's SP 45/1.8 VC.

finally, if you want a single lens that may never need to be removed from you camera body, look at the Tamron 16-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD MACRO. You may find a used copy well within your budget. Unless you are producing billboard copy, pixel peepers will be hard pressed to distinguish the output of this lens from the highest quality Leica images possible. I've done that test and have often thought about revising my ultra kit. not sure if this is amazing or distressing. And by the way, Tamron has recently upped the zoom range with a new 18-400 crop lens. just bizarre. While I cannot speak to the 18-400 from personal experience, the 16-300mm on the little SL1 was/is a confounding surprise.

good luck and never quit asking yourself - what needs to be different? and where are you currently constrained?

dale

Straight up - I don't own a 17-55. I have borrowed one. Read some threads about this lens. As good as it is/may be optically, it does suffer from: accumulating internal dust, residual spherical aberration (focus shift on stopping down) worse than any other Canon lens, and a weird inability to focus closely. L-quality? Methinks, not.

L generally means build quality and weather sealing. It has little to do with IQ. My 18-135 USM and 70-300 USM match the 70-200 f/4L IS for IQ, and focus speed. Neither is L.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 21, 2018 11:17 |  #15

Gremlin75, using a extension tube, would that be a recipe for softer images or more less the person who is handling the camera?

sponsored links

5,197 views & 2 likes for this thread
Want a Third Lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.