Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Jan 2018 (Friday) 15:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Want a Third Lens

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 21, 2018 11:31 |  #16

Dale, you clarified a misconception of mine that L helped with image quality. Do you mind if I ask you what is your use with the 18-135mm? I have seen this lens to come with 80d as kit lens. But I only purchased the body only.

sponsored links
gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 21, 2018 11:59 |  #17

firme wrote in post #18545794 (external link)
Gremlin75, using a extension tube, would that be a recipe for softer images or more less the person who is handling the camera?

Extension tubes would not cause softer images. They are literally just tubes that go between the camera and a lens to decrease the focus distance and increase magnification of a lens. There are no glass elements in them so they do not effect image quality.

Most people, like me, use them when you don't want a dedicated macro lens but want to be able to shoot close up from time to time.

The nice thing about extension tubes is it lets you kind of try out macro photography (again, it's uncommon to get true 1:1 with extension tubes and a normals lens) with the lenses you already have. A cheap set of tubes is less then $100 or you can get a single tube for as little as $25 (both are with electrical contacts which is a must for aperture control). If you decide you don't like macro photography you're out $25 instead of $400. If you decide you do like macro and want a dedicated macro lens you can still use an extension tube with a macro lens to increase the magnification past 1:1.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 21, 2018 14:41 |  #18

I wouldn't mind going that route, sure would be nice to experiment before buying a macro lens. Can you suggest one then? Thanks.

Chris.R
Goldmember
2,670 posts
Joined Jul 2016

Jan 21, 2018 19:34 |  #19

If the extension tube is to be used on the 50mm lens, check how far that lens extends, and get a tube about the same length. If your 50mm extends say 10mm, then a 12mm tube may make more sense than a 25 for you because that would leave you a gap.

Extension tubes on short zooms will give you very short or nonexistent working distance, I wouldn't bother with that lens at all.
Stick to the 50mm.
I've done a ton of tests and found perhaps surprisingly, a GOOD close-up lens/diopter can often give you a better image quality and better working distance than an extension tube. The Raynox DCR 150 and DCR 250 are about the best and they're very quick to use.

If you do want something longer, the 50-250 STM is recommendable. I have that and the 70-300L. You have to pixel-peep to see the difference.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by gremlin75.

Jan 21, 2018 20:46 |  #20

firme wrote in post #18545942 (external link)
I wouldn't mind going that route, sure would be nice to experiment before buying a macro lens. Can you suggest one then? Thanks.

I haven't kept up with brands for canon as I shoot fuji and use a fuji extension tube. Kenko used to be highly regarded tube set when I shot canon but its more expensive then some of the other options. I just use a 12mm tube for my shooting so something like this 13mm tube should give you an idea of it you like shooting macro or not and it will only set you back $25

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …macro_extension​_tube.html (external link)

For double that price they also have a three tube kit (13mm, 21mm,and 31mm) if you'd prefer that instead. But too long of an extension tube can put your focus distance right at a lenses front element so be cautious.

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …macro_extension​_tube.html (external link)

Moncho
162 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Jan 23, 2018 03:55 |  #21

You could also get a cheap close focusing lens. The old 35mm focuses fairly close. Or you could also just get the 35mm efs macro. I really like the 50mm view in full frame , I have 3 different 50mm, including a macro one.

Carpe Diem
(Seize the carp!)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,161 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 23, 2018 23:59 |  #22

if you can't really identify where you are lacking on lenses you probably don't need anything...eventually you'll hit a spot where you can't accomplish what you want with what you have...then you should start looking to get another lens

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 24, 2018 09:11 |  #23

Gremlin75, thanks for the links. Will get one of before renting a macro lens.

DreDaze, thanks for the input and does makes sense. Believe me, I even questioned myself to see if I needed to get an additional lens as well. As in my family, we have had a few new babies plus my brother's new born I started looking into getting something useful for that. Will use my nephew for practice so I started looking at and have bought accessories, props. The lens is next. Which I had mentioned this lens will have more of a chance of being used more rather than used just for a few sessions and then stored away.

daleg
687 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by daleg. (2 edits in all)

Mar 26, 2018 22:02 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #24

sorry for not responding sooner. been busy.

I'm using Fuji's now for most of my crop body shooting.

The Canon ef-s 18-135mm wasn't being used as often as before - where it provided longer reach in decent light. So, I sold it. I still reach for the 17-55/2.8 (it's 2.8 aperture and IS is novel for Canon) or the 18-55/variable aperture IS STM. the later when small is good (nice w/SL1) & for daylight street photography.

I saw Bassat's comments on the 17-55mm. To each his/her own. while I'm certainly not an expert, I can speak to my experiences. and the 17-55mm - is a great component of my Canon crop body kit. I will mention that its AF motor/system is rather fragile. when it's nestled in a bag, be sure it's well padded and the bag isn't anywhere it can be kicked or bumped. lesson learned the hard/$$ way.

Today, most of my work is either with film: Hasselblad, Leica, numerous Nikons & a couple Canons, or with full frame digitals - Canons: 1DX2, 1D4 & 5D; & Nikons: D850 & Df. When I do shoot crop bodies it's about 60% Fujis: currently XT1 & X100s; to 40% Canons: 7D2, 60D & SL1.

That's this week. :-)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,491 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 26, 2018 22:13 |  #25

Have you tried your existing lenses for baby shots? That's really the only way you'll accurately figure out what you may need to change up in your kit. Without knowing 'what' you're trying to achieve, it's tough to say what a better optin might be. For a lot of shots, your current lenses ought to be sufficient. But, you may need, either wider or longer...or, just 'faster'.

Do you already have thoughts on what framings/effects you are looking for that your current kit does not afford you?

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 28, 2018 19:22 |  #26

firme wrote in post #18544589 (external link)
I currently own Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II and Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 vc. The Tamron I got a couple years back to replace the Canon 18-55 IS. Don't use the 18-55 anymore. I am using these lenses on the Canon 80D. They have been used for baptisms, baby showers, birthdays, sweet 16 events. Also have started doing portrait and baby photography, occasional product photography. My own personal photographs of family or my printed graphic design jobs for website.

I don't do landscapes, action, sports, macro. Don't have much use for telephoto lens either. Would the nifty fifty be good close up lens for baby photography? I saw a couple of videos and only a small amount mentioned about macro lenses used for close ups. The only action/sports I have done was a monster truck and son's soccer games (couple) a couple of years. Did rent the Canon EF 70-200mm for a son's game. I liked it but never bought one as I probably would not use it as much as I would like to.

Would like to know what recommended lens is suggested for the above type of photography I usually do. Although I would like to get a prime lens, most likely I won't be able to get one just yet. I know best way is to rent one but with many choices out there, I don't want to rent many of them. Hopefully, I may be able to get suggestions from the experienced photographers., then will rent and try it out.

Would like to spend no more than $500-$600 if this is a good price range. Thanks for the help.

Like many buyers, you've invested a lot in a high quality camera... then stuck cheap, second rate lenses on it. That's all too common, although lens quality typically makes much more difference in the end results than the camera the lenses are used upon.

A lot of your work is portraiture.... I'd recommend you consider replacing the 50mm f/1.8 II with a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. Faster, quieter focus, 2/3 stop larger aperture (though both it and your 50/1.8 are a wee bit soft wide open, they both sharpen up nicely closed down about one stop).

If you have the working space, add a Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM.... another great portrait lens that's not too expensive (with Canon recently introducing a new 85mm f/1.4L IS USM and other manufacturers recently introducing some other 85mm alternatives, you can probably find a used one for some savings, traded in by someone who was upgrading).

Do you have any need for macro? If so, Tamron SP 60mm f/2 can serve for BOTH macro and portraiture. It's a very nice lens with a stop larger aperture than most macro, making it more dual purpose than most. It also falls nicely in between 50mm and 85mm, so may replace both of them. It is a "crop only" lens and it uses slower micro motor focus drive. That's fine for portraits and macro... but it's no sports/action lens by any means.

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is an excellent zoom, if you feel you need one and can justify the higher price tag. I have never compared with the Tamron you're using, so can't say whether or not you'd see significant improvement. But the Canon zoom has "L-like" image quality, pretty good build (tho not "L like"), fast USM focus drive and good, helpful IS.

The Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM doesn't have as large aperture, but offers very high image quality with a broader range of focal lengths... both wider and longer.

Personally for portraiture on APS-C cameras like yours, I prefer a 24-70mm or cheaper 28-135mm. Canon's 24-70mm f/2.8L II is superb, but quite pricey... Their f/4L IS is about half the price, but also certainly ain't cheap. It has IS and amazing close-up ability (enuf so to take the place of a macro lens in many kits). The older Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L USM is still a very good lens too, if found used. But used it often still costs more than the f/4L does, new.

A cheaper alternative I've used a lot (probably 4 or 5 different copies over the years and still have two of them) is the Canon EF 28-135mm IS USM. I know of at least two other professional portrait photographers who use it too (either of them could easily afford any of the much more expensive alternatives). It doesn't have large f/2.8 aperture, only a variable f/3.5-5.6... but it does have IS that can make it more hand holdable at slower shutter speeds. More of a mid-grade build lens and an older design dating to the film days, it has surprisingly good image quality through most of the zoom range. From 28 to 105mm it rivals far more expensive lenses. At 135mm it gets just a wee bit soft wide open (f/5.6), but sharpens up when stopped down a little (f/8). Just recently discontinued by Canon, tons of 28-135s have been sold over the years. It was often sold in kit with various film and DSLR models. As a result, there are a lot of them around and it's pretty easy to find a nice, clean used one for about $200. It's nothing fancy, but a very capable lens for the money!

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links

5,194 views & 2 likes for this thread
Want a Third Lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.