Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Jan 2018 (Friday) 11:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ViewFinder metering + Live View Metering

TheSandValor
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2018

Jan 19, 2018 11:45 |  #1

Hi,
I am new to digital photography and recently bought a new Canon EOS Rebel T6i camera, i am using Manual Settings and every time i want to shoot a photo i have to press the * button to bring up my light meter in live view shooting, in the view finder i have to press the same button ( * ) to bring up the whole meter (Iso, light meter etc.) it really is making my life hard...

I have been all over the menu already and have no idea how to make the metering just STAY and not go away every 4,5 seconds
does anyone know how to do that?

(photos are attached if i didn't explain my self properly)

thanks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
20,728 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jan 19, 2018 12:09 |  #2

Welcome to POTN. What happens when you half-press the shutter button. I don't think you can change the length of time that the meter stays active, but you can change the time that the camera stays "awake".

Mark

TheSandValor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2018

Jan 19, 2018 12:27 |  #3

Thank you :)

When i half-press the shutter button the meter activates, but it feels very clumsy because i have to change the ISO/aperture etc..
And i have to do it while half-pressing the shutter button...

By "awake" you mean the keep the camera from powering off? if so, I already tweaked that option and made it so the camera will never auto power off.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
20,728 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jan 19, 2018 12:48 |  #4

Yes, awake means no auto shut down. I don't think that the metering timer duration can be changed. You just have to get used to getting it all done in 6 seconds or keep the shutter(or *) button pressed.

Mark

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,606 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 5 months ago by Bassat.

Jan 19, 2018 14:47 |  #5

You are using a camera that is quite capable of automating any/all of the exposure parameters (Av/Tv/ISO) for you. You are using said camera in its most basic manual-everything mode. There is nothing wrong with that. Most of us who grew up in the Stone Age started with cameras that had no 'Auto' settings. I only see two paths to getting faster with the camera settings. Practice, or select an auto-mode that suits your needs.

Tom

TheSandValor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2018

Jan 19, 2018 16:14 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #6

I don't want anything automated, i want to learn and create my own photos, in my older model canon, the light meter was always ON and in this model for some reason it is not so. I need to keep a button pressed to see my manual stats when i am using all manual, seems a little unnecessary because i need it to keep track of everything

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,606 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 19, 2018 16:28 |  #7

TheSandValor wrote in post #18544637 (external link)
I don't want anything automated, i want to learn and create my own photos, in my older model canon, the light meter was always ON and in this model for some reason it is not so. I need to keep a button pressed to see my manual stats when i am using all manual, seems a little unnecessary because i need it to keep track of everything

Noble ambitions, to be sure. Most folks can't be bothered with manual settings. Good on you for working at this.

I just checked both my cameras (80D/6D) and the meter/exposure bar is lit all the time while I am adjusting Av/Tv. It does go away when I change ISO. Perhaps you could use AUTO-ISO, or manually select an ISO? ISO has relatively little effect on the outcome of a photo. Shutter speed dramatically affects motion (or not) blur. Aperture dramatically affects depth-of-field. Those two parameters are your main input. Very few viewers could detect the difference between an ISO 100 and an ISO 800 shot, or between an ISO 800 and an ISO 6400 shot. There is a lot of room to maneuver with ISO.

Tom

TheSandValor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2018

Jan 19, 2018 18:35 |  #8

That does not work either, the view finder meter lights up, shows me the current ISO ( even in auto ISO it shows the ISO that is chosen) , shutter speed, aperture and light exposure and then it disapears.

Does anyone has the same EOS Rebel T6i and knows what i am talking about? is it this model?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,182 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Jan 19, 2018 22:18 |  #9

Just read tthe T6i user manualf which I downloaded from the web...in the index it mentions

• metering timer on page 205 and page 250
  • live view metering timer on p. 205

On page 363 is the reference information for what time options exist for Live View metering timer.
On page 368 is the reference information for what general time options exist for the metering timer.

User manuals are beneficial, they contain a lot of useful information.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,803 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 22, 2018 05:44 |  #10

But these settings are for live view and movie recording (which is done using live view). For normal viewfinder shooting, you typically have to go to Canon's 1D-series of cameras to find a setting that's relevant for normal viewfinder shooting. It's a fixed time in simpler models.

But there's nothing wrong with your camera. Not only the 750D does this, but all EOS (D)SLR cameras. It's just that the timeout can be set on the most advanced models.
Since the metering values are displayed after halfpress, and then as long as you keep adjusting the values, I've not found it very inconvenient. The reason for turning off is of course to keep energy consumption reasonable in the camera.

Anders

sponsored links

1,269 views & 0 likes for this thread
ViewFinder metering + Live View Metering
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.