Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 11 Aug 2015 (Tuesday) 14:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How Many Times Have You Switched?

Lisa28
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2018

Jan 21, 2018 02:09 |  #181

You have covered most of the brand. Me only to Canon and Nikon. At first I used Canon then Nikon and then switched back to Canon again

sponsored links
easypz
520 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 23, 2018 07:26 as a reply to  @ Lisa28's post |  #182

In the DSLR category I haven't switched much until recently. It goes like this...Mostly sports, children and wildlife so- Canon 20D, 40D, 50D, 7D...then decided I was doing more landscape and people shooting so I went full-frame Canon 5D II, 5D III and then...I got tired of lugging all of my heavy Canon gear and bought a Fuji X-T1 and a bunch of glass. Had fun for a while but felt like the Fuji files were missing something and so I went back to the Canon 5D III. What happened after that I still can't explain to myself but I just got aggravated with all of it and sold it all. I'm still shooting, with a Panasonic ZS-100. LOL. I love it. It's sort of liberating...but at the same time I keep thinking about which system I will go to next.

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
855 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited 7 months ago by Angmo.

Jan 23, 2018 08:48 |  #183

Forgot. Also have a Leica Minilux. Put maybe 3 rolls of film through it. But -- my little Rollei 35 S manual film camera simply took better photos.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
211 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited 5 months ago by snegron.

Mar 17, 2018 10:06 |  #184

Too funny! I started this thread over 2 years ago and it is still going!

Seems (almost) like I have now come full circle. My last post I indicated how I switched from Nikon to other brands to Canon, but now I am back with Nikon (somewhat temporarily though).

I recently started a photography club for junior high school kids. Some kids bring their own equipment, but I supply my old equipment for other kids. Since I still had most of my old Nikon equipment, I decided to purchase some more Nikon stuff for the kids. I now have 4 Nikon D200 bodies with 4 Nikon 28-105mm AF-D lenses, 2 old Nikon D1X bodies with multiple lenses ranging from 17mm to 300mm (at least 10 lenses).

My "go-to" camera kit, however, is my Canon 7dmk2 with 16-35 f4L and 70-200 f2.8L.

My youngest kid now has my old Lumix m4/3 outfit, my oldest kid has my Canon T3i outfit.

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
8,036 posts
Gallery: 1557 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 17, 2018 11:52 |  #185

Heres my little list:rolleyes:;-)a

Zorkie 4, Zenith B, Zenith EM, Praktica BC1, Praktica BX20, Canon AE1, Canon AV1, Ricoh XRX, Canon EOS 650, Minolta 7000i, Minolta 3xi, Nikon D40, Nikon D100, Nikon D70S, Nikon D200, Nikon D90, Canon 30D, Nikon D7100, Canon 7D, Nikon D7100 and also a few Bridge cams - Canon SX10IS, Canon SX20IS, Lumix FZ100, Lumix FZ330, Fuji X-S1 All second hand.

P.

Some stuff.

DavidR
Goldmember
1,542 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 17, 2018 20:20 |  #186

Seven times... :rolleyes:

Started with Minolta (film) then switched to Nikon, then to Canon (digital), then to Fuji, then to Sony, then to Nikon, then to Fuji, and now back with Sony.

Thankfully, very happy with my current kit and have no plans to ever switch again. :rolleyes:

M10 - ZM21 - ZM35

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,012 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited 5 months ago by Owain Shaw.

Mar 19, 2018 11:31 |  #187

I posted in this thread years ago before I did eventually buy a Fuji X-Pro1 with a couple of lenses. I still wouldn't say I've switched but I have two different cameras. After getting the X-Pro1 I used that almost exclusively for about a year very happily without touching the Canon much. Then something took me back to the 5DII and for about another year I was back using that without touching the Fuji much.

This year I've started back on the Fuji because, long-term, the idea of buying more Canon gear just didn't appeal to me. My Fuji is still a great little camera even though it's older tech, and they are only getting better (of course DSLR tech does too) so that looked to be the future for me. The purist in me wants to use an OVF but frankly, an EVF is where technology is headed and why not use it to take my pictures? That's just one example. The smaller form factor is a real bonus for me. Right now I don't have much time but the X-Pro with a pancake lens literally fits in my pockets and is there with me just in case. I can take it when I wouldn't really want to carry my Canon. It's lighter for when I'm travelling. I just did five days in Poland with a lot of walking, a lot of trains and a lot of photography. I'm tired but I'm sure my back would be far worse for having taken the Canon gear. Like many people I like the design of the Fuji cameras. Having a manual aperture ring is great. These are my personal thoughts, they won't be objective truth for everyone.

That said, there may yet be occasions where I use my Canon gear and I certainly won't sell it, but I can't see myself expanding my Canon gear whereas I think over time I will settle on Fuji (until I can afford and justify a Leica).

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,586 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 19, 2018 14:54 |  #188

I'm a Canon and Fuji shooter. Soon to be Sony as well.

No switching....just buying more tools with specific application and preference depending on situation and mood.

Heck my iphone 8+ is nothing to complain about when I do not have my other camera gear on hand LOL!!!

My motto is never sell tools....just add more of it :) This holds true as a previous autotech for almost 2 decades.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,937 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 19, 2018 16:20 |  #189

Kodak -> Yashica -> Ricoh -> Panasonic -> Canon -> Canon + Yaschica.

Tom

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,089 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 20, 2018 05:28 |  #190

Kodak (Retina series) > Konica (several) > Canon (35mm film) > Canon (G series) > Canon DSLR

I still have and use my Kodak Retina "large C", a classic folder. Amazing images!

MomentsCaptured
157 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Apr 30, 2018 18:15 |  #191

Canon --> Nikon --> Canon

Hundreds of lenses and countless bodies.

5D IV x2 | 16-35mm f/4 IS | 24mm f/1.4L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.4L IS | 100mm macro

tdlavigne
333 posts
Joined Mar 2015

May 01, 2018 21:19 |  #192

Switched 2 more times since I last posted 3 years ago.

I've now gone: Nikon > Canon > Sony > Canon > Nikon > Panasonic > and finally back to present day with Sony as of this month.

They all have their pluses and minuses...I've yet to find a perfect system. At the moment Sony has enough features to make me use it. Hopefully they fix that EVF (it's pretty garbage compared to the GH5) and add a 135mm. If they can sort that out in the next year or two I'd probably be a happy camper for a while.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,731 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 02, 2018 22:28 |  #193

Canon DSLRs --> Olympus m43 mirrorless. :-)

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,032 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

May 03, 2018 00:27 |  #194

Started with a Canon AE-1 > Minolta Maxxum 5000i > Minolta Maxxum 5 > Canon 40D > 60D + 1DmkIII > then onto the 5DmkIII + 7DmkII which I still have. I added an Olympus OM-D EM-1 II for travel and it’s awesome... and kind of spoiled me to some of the advancements of mirrorless cameras.

Then... a Sony A7III arrived yesterday from B&H. I’m testing the Sony waters with just the Metabones V for now and it’s great for what little time I’ve had to play around with it. I’ll probably keep adapting my lenses until Canon announces it’s FF Mirrorless and see where that goes. I seriously doubt they’ll have anything to compete with the A7III at the same price point, but if it’s close and under $3k... it would be very tempting to not have to switch all of my fast Canon glass over to Sony FE ($$$).

GEAR LIST

Ross ­ H
92 posts
Joined Jun 2014

May 03, 2018 03:24 |  #195

Whew, let's see if I remember correctly:

Pentax Spotmatic F > Canon AE1 > Canon A1 > Nikon F2AS > Nikon FE > :Big gap in time: > Canon Rebel XS > Canon 5D > Canon 1Dx > Canon 6D + SL1 > Nikon D3 > Nikon D4 > Nikon D810.

On a side path, I recently went from a Fuji X-T1 to Sony A7II for my travel camera or for other times when I need a camera but don't want to lug the full Nikon kit with me.

Basically, for my main setup, I've gone from Canon to Nikon back to Canon and then back to Nikon.

Nikon D810 - Samyang 12mm f/2.8, Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 Art, Nikon 105mm f/2 DC
Nikon F2A, Nikon F4s - Nikon 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6D
Sony A7II, Sony 35mm f/2.8, Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5

sponsored links

31,771 views & 36 likes for this thread
How Many Times Have You Switched?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.