Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Jan 2018 (Friday) 09:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AF point question ?

mrgooch
Goldmember
3,055 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 8 months ago by mrgooch.

Jan 19, 2018 09:12 |  #1

I am using the 5D 3.
Is there a way to have the focus point selection show in the viewfinder for easier focusing . I only see it when I press the rear focus button. I shows for a second then disappears. Can I get it to remain there?

sponsored links
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
21,248 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jan 19, 2018 09:39 |  #2

Set AF Illumination to "Enable".

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark

mrgooch
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,055 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 19, 2018 09:44 |  #3

Thank you Sir.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,843 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 22, 2018 05:21 |  #4

Even in the 1DX, and the 5D Mark III behaves mostly the same, the AF points are shown as black rectangles all the time.

Anders

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 22, 2018 05:46 |  #5

apersson850 wrote in post #18546351 (external link)
Even in the 1DX, and the 5D Mark III behaves mostly the same, the AF points are shown as black rectangles all the time.

I would find that incredibly annoying. Can you shut them off, if desired?

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,689 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 22, 2018 19:13 |  #6

No. The AF mode you select shows the AF points.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,843 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 23, 2018 02:11 |  #7

Bassat wrote in post #18546358 (external link)
Can you shut them off, if desired?

Of course not. Turning off the AF points in an autofocus camera would be like driving a car blindfolded.

Anders

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,657 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 7 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Jan 23, 2018 14:39 |  #8

apersson850 wrote in post #18547057 (external link)
Of course not. Turning off the AF points in an autofocus camera would be like driving a car blindfolded.

Well I don't think anyone would want to do that!
But, OTOH, with my 7DII with 65 AF points...

• none of the AF squares show up unless I press the button to AF (using back-button-focus)
  • even if I have selected the 21-point AF, I can choose to see or not seem them in the viewfinder
  • if I have selected a cluster of 9 AF points, and moved the selected cluster off to the left/right, I can choose see only the chosen active cluster
  • and when I focus, I can choose to flash red the AF points in focus (as well as a display grid, if activated)

so perhaps the OP question is if his 5DIII has similar options for display.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 23, 2018 15:07 |  #9

apersson850 wrote in post #18546351 (external link)

Bassat wrote in post #18546358 (external link)
I would find that incredibly annoying. Can you shut them off, if desired?

apersson850 wrote in post #18547057 (external link)

No. Having 65 AF points I am not using in the way of my viewfinder would be like driving a car with mud on the windshield. Being able to turn OFF the ones I don't need/aren't using would be akin to actually cleaning the windshield. On my 80D, I only see the points I have chosen to see. I can't believe more expensive cameras do NOT have this feature.

Wilt wrote in post #18547427 (external link)
But, OTOH, with my 7DII with 65 AF points...
  • none of the AF squares show up unless I press the button to AF (using back-button-focus)
  • even if I have selected the 21-point AF, I can choose to see or not seem them in the viewfinder
  • if I have selected a cluster of 9 AF points, and moved the selected cluster off to the left/right, I can choose see only the chosen active cluster
  • and when I focus, I can choose to flash red the AF points in focus (as well as a display grid, if activated)

so perhaps the OP question is if his 5DIII has similar options for display.

The 7D2 is a bit older than my 80D. Both 7D and 80D can do this. I have to assume the newer 5D and 1D series have this ability, too. Or maybe just the newest models (5D4, 1DX2).

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,843 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 23, 2018 15:43 |  #10

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant that you most likely want to see the AF points you actually use, even if it nowadays is possible to turn them all off. Unlike in the older models, where they were etched into the focusing screen, and couldn't be made fully invisible.

Anders

Wilt
40,657 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 23, 2018 15:57 |  #11

apersson850 wrote in post #18547479 (external link)
Sorry, I was unclear. I meant that you most likely want to see the AF points you actually use, even if it nowadays is possible to turn them all off. Unlike in the older models, where they were etched into the focusing screen, and couldn't be made fully invisible.

we know you meant 'etched onto the SI plate' since the removeable focusing screen has no visible AF areas

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,409 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 23, 2018 16:18 |  #12

The 5D3 has the same AF point selections (and tracking modes) as the 7D2. I find the main difference between the two cameras is that since the 7D2 is crop, its AF spread almost fills the whole viewfinder. The 7D2's viewfinder also has a light meter on the right side (while the 5D3 has a EC scale that doubles as a light meter in manual mode).

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,689 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 23, 2018 16:24 |  #13

davesrose wrote in post #18547508 (external link)
The 5D3 has the same AF point selections (and tracking modes) as the 7D2. I find the main difference between the two cameras is that since the 7D2 is crop, its AF spread almost fills the whole viewfinder. The 7D2's viewfinder also has a light meter on the right side (while the 5D3 has a EC scale that doubles as a light meter in manual mode).

That was an adjustment for me when I started using a FF for birding, etc.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Wilt
40,657 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 23, 2018 16:56 |  #14

davesrose wrote in post #18547508 (external link)

Having to look in a DIFFERENT PLACE for manual exposure settings vs. for EC was an adjustment for me!

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,409 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 23, 2018 17:01 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #15

I had the 5D3 before I got the 7D2, so I was a bit thrown by having the meter to the right. At times, I also find it a bit harder to view then if it was at the bottom with the EC. But now that I'm used to it, I can use both cameras pretty interchangeably (I do like that their interfaces are so similar).

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

2,133 views & 4 likes for this thread
AF point question ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.