Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 30 Jun 2017 (Friday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photobucket Goes Rogue

markeb
144 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 23, 2018 18:59 |  #391

Just received this e-mail tonight...

"We would like to offer a tailored plan for users just like you - our Premium plan for $99.99 / year.
The Premium plan will provide 3rd party hosting for non-commercial use on your forums, blogs, and personal websites*. Additionally, you will be able to store up to 300,000 photos.
We are working on some exciting changes for 2018. This is our exclusive introductory price and this offer will expire in 7 days."

Had they done this six months ago, I probably wouldn't have a SmugMug account. Talk about either not knowing or misjudging your market!

T2i 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 30 mm f/1.4, Canon 60 mm f/2.8 Macro, Canon 15-85 IS USM, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX HSM OS, 430EX II S95 G7X

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,947 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 23, 2018 19:07 |  #392

markeb wrote in post #18547643 (external link)
"We would like to offer a tailored plan for users just like you - our Premium plan for $99.99 / year. . ."

Thanks anyway. I'd rather send my $99.99 to POTN, even if the limit is two images per post. It's well managed and it doesn't make me look at ads.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,328 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by Wilt.

Jan 23, 2018 20:11 |  #393

markeb wrote in post #18547643 (external link)
Just received this e-mail tonight...

"We would like to offer a tailored plan for users just like you - our Premium plan for $99.99 / year.
The Premium plan will provide 3rd party hosting for non-commercial use on your forums, blogs, and personal websites*. Additionally, you will be able to store up to 300,000 photos.
We are working on some exciting changes for 2018. This is our exclusive introductory price and this offer will expire in 7 days."

I got the same ad, ONCE! I exited, and later when I had time to look into the 'deal', it was no longer presented to me.
Pretty poor marketing. Lay bait, hide the bait. There seem to be some real morons in charge.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

SkedAddled
Goldmember
1,730 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 24, 2018 15:22 |  #394

So, as far as Flickr goes, it appears to be a rather widespread and
intermittent issue that EXIF doesn't transmit. There's much discussion
of this on their help forums, with no conclusive remedy yet to be found.
My test results have been varied, as have been many others, both free
and paid accounts. The most recent about this is from Jan 23, HERE (external link).

Just a heads-up/FYI for anyone interested.

CraigAF Σ 10-20|AF Canon 28-135 USM IS|MF Tamron SP 28-80|MF Tamron SP 60-300|MF Soligor 75-260|MF Soligor 400|MF Soligor C/D 500|MF Zuiko 50 f/1.8|More Manual-Focus glass
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,745 posts
Gallery: 540 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 21, 2018 06:53 |  #395

SkedAddled wrote in post #18548209 (external link)
So, as far as Flickr goes, it appears to be a rather widespread and
intermittent issue that EXIF doesn't transmit. There's much discussion
of this on their help forums, with no conclusive remedy yet to be found.
My test results have been varied, as have been many others, both free
and paid accounts. The most recent about this is from Jan 23, HERE (external link).

Just a heads-up/FYI for anyone interested.

With Flickr I have no trouble with EXIF showing in linked images, but I only use them on POTN and I limit all of my images to 1280 px on the long edge. Even with the latest upgrade to 1600 px on the forum I will be sticking to 1280px as that is my limit for posting anything online. It keeps the images small enough that they are really only any good for use online. When I post I always use the "Original size" option in the BB Code embed. This prevents Flickr from resizing the image, which is what usually strips the EXIF from the image.

My preference would be to be able to stop Flickr from serving any resized images at all. The removal of most of the EXIF data I can live with, but what really upsets me is the fact that they are removing my copyright notice from the image. Not being a US citizen I do not register my copyright in the US. If someone in the US does steal my image I can still rely on the removal of the copyright notice as a way to get an enhanced payout should the image be infringed in the US. Having Flickr remove the notice from my images when they serve them for me really doesn't help with that. I suspect that a case could be made that any image taken from Flickr that has been resized by them, removing the copyright notice, may be construed as them being published by me without the notice.

I also look at new copyright law suggestions that are trying to push for any image that is found online without ownership details attached to it to be effectively made "Public Domain". Again something that I would not like to happen. Maybe with the change of ownership of Flickr we might get lucky and they will at least start to include any copyright notice that is in the EXIF data with resized images. But then you still have to set the copyright status correctly when you upload your images for when they are displayed within the Flickr interface.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,947 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 21, 2018 10:26 |  #396

BigAl007 wrote in post #18610775 (external link)
I also look at new copyright law suggestions that are trying to push for any image that is found online without ownership details attached to it to be effectively made "Public Domain".

What?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Canonuser123
584 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Apr 21, 2018 15:22 |  #397

That would be insane, I have found my photos re-hosted with copyright stripped out of the EXIF or watermarks cropped off.

PhotosGuy
75,428 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 21, 2018 16:26 |  #398

Canonuser123 wrote in post #18610976 (external link)
That would be insane, I have found my photos re-hosted with copyright stripped out of the EXIF or watermarks cropped off.

Some watermarks do not give you the same protection as a proper ©, but yours might & removing it can be worth a lot of $s.
Look at Carolyn E Wright's blog. (external link)

A "proper" © is: https://www.copyright.​gov/title17/92chap4.ht​ml (external link)

§ 401 . Notice of copyright: Visually perceptible copies2
(b) Form of Notice. — If a notice appears on the copies, it shall consist of the following three elements:

(1) the symbol © (the letter C in a circle), or the word “Copyright”, or the abbreviation “Copr.”; and

(2) the year of first publication of the work; in the case of compilations or derivative works incorporating previously published material, the year date of first publication of the compilation or derivative work is sufficient. The year date may be omitted where a pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work, with accompanying text matter, if any, is reproduced in or on greeting cards, postcards, stationery, jewelry, dolls, toys, or any useful articles; and

(3) the name of the owner of copyright in the work, or an abbreviation by which the name can be recognized, or a generally known alternative designation of the owner.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Canonuser123
584 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Apr 22, 2018 16:44 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #399

Thanks for the info.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,745 posts
Gallery: 540 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 01, 2018 19:42 |  #400

OhLook wrote in post #18610849 (external link)
What?

Canonuser123 wrote in post #18610976 (external link)

What I'm referring to is the new Orphaned Works language that larger companies seem to be trying to push into updated versions of copyright laws around the world. If there is an image floating around online that has no ownership details associated with it, then the thought goes make it PD so that anyone can use it for whatever. So if you like an image, without copyright/ownership details, and a cursory search doesn't suggest an owner, it may be treated as PD. Given how Flickr remove the EXIF copyright notice on resized images, that just leaves any visible copyright notice you might also apply to the image. Personally I normally have a visible copyright notice on my images too, but again they are easy to remove.

Not being a US citizen I see no need to register my images in the US, especially now that I could use the removal of the copyright notice to help with making a worthwhile claim if I am infringed in the US.

One other issue with copyright, and large internet companies is Pinterest. As I understand their system to work, if someone pins any of my images, instead of creating a link to it, which would be legal, they create a copy on their own servers, so that the image cannot be removed/changed by deleting or changing the file at the original URL. What I find really disturbing about Pinterest is that I cannot search their servers for my images without first signing up for an account. I really do not want to do anything at all that will help that company, and signing up with them is a help, as it gives them a tiny little bit of growth in user numbers. With a bit of luck I will be able to go after them using the new EU privacy laws, since if they have any of my images on their servers they are effectively processing my personal data.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Canonuser123
584 posts
Joined Dec 2014

May 01, 2018 20:17 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #401

I have found my images where the exif data is stripped out and my name removed, could not someone then claim that there was no copyright associated with it if they found the altered photo.

I don’t shoot professionally and have not sold any photos in years, it does bother me if someone uses my photo without asking, I found people selling my photos on Ebay in Europe before, I have found my photos being used by third party sellers in their adds on Amazon. I have found busineses in a bunch of countries using my photos without asking and I don’t even consider myself that good of a photographer, it must be a nightmare for pro photographers to have to deal with this.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,585 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

May 02, 2018 06:03 |  #402

Canonuser123 wrote in post #18617741 (external link)
I have found my images where the exif data is stripped out and my name removed, could not someone then claim that there was no copyright associated with it if they found the altered photo.

I don’t shoot professionally and have not sold any photos in years, it does bother me if someone uses my photo without asking, I found people selling my photos on Ebay in Europe before, I have found my photos being used by third party sellers in their adds on Amazon. I have found busineses in a bunch of countries using my photos without asking and I don’t even consider myself that good of a photographer, it must be a nightmare for pro photographers to have to deal with this.

Shoot RAW, as proof of ownership it produces a strong case.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,341 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 04, 2018 18:53 |  #403

I see they lowered their prices but that move they made turned me off. I still go there to take screen shots for technical purposes but I'll never host images on other sites using it.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

tekin112000
182 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 17, 2018 09:48 |  #404

Has anyone checked the images they have hosted on Pee-bucket Lately.

I found the following post on another forum

For some odd reason my "3rd party hosted images" are working again. No mention of any changes from PB.

I did not pay the ransom. I wonder if this is some sort of "free trial period"?

Maybe they got hacked???

Maybe they noticed I'm slowly removing my photos and they took the hint?

I googled and found this tweet:

Your photos have been set free! New management. New subscription pricing that is 95% less than before. Check out what’s new at Photobucket:

But I wonder if they are too late, I'd bet they lost a very high percentage of customers, I guess they are now trying to get them back. It was a very stupid move, shows how out of touch their old management was.

Vinnie, don't put too many onions in the sauce

Ballen ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
19,736 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2003

May 17, 2018 10:03 |  #405

Under new management? Hmm, they might want to consider changing their name as well. Thanks for the additional info.

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

sponsored links

64,051 views & 164 likes for this thread
Photobucket Goes Rogue
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.