Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 15 Jan 2018 (Monday) 07:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does FoCal work

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,067 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 25, 2018 11:39 |  #61

You gotta go with what works for you.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt.

Jan 25, 2018 11:44 |  #62

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18548654 (external link)
Do I have to use Jacques Pepin videos? Will Martha Stewart work? ;-)a

All kidding aside, thanks for your MFA ideas.

Would you trust someone who made decisions based upon insider information in stock transactions?!  :p

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,067 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 25, 2018 11:50 |  #63

I let my camera make AF decisions for me every day. :-)

Image Editing OK

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,911 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 25, 2018 13:35 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #64

I use the ISO 12233 focus chart available from Cornell University.
http://www.graphics.co​rnell.edu/~westin/misc​/res-chart.html (external link)

Takes the guesswork out of MFA adjustments - it's easy to see which shot is the sharpest.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,661 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 25, 2018 23:36 |  #65

Wilt wrote in post #18548663 (external link)
Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18548654 (external link)
Do I have to use Jacques Pepin videos? Will Martha Stewart work? ;-)a

All kidding aside, thanks for your MFA ideas.

Would you trust someone who made decisions based upon insider information in stock transactions?!  :p

HA, good point!

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,661 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 25, 2018 23:45 |  #66

digital paradise wrote in post #18548668 (external link)
I let my camera make AF decisions for me every day. :-)

My wife makes decisions for me every day...
...if I like it or not. :oops:

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 26, 2018 12:46 |  #67

I use FoCal and it works great. The latest version is much less picky about focus target, light, etc. and is quite easy to use. That said, dot-tune for the win - it's so much easier and faster. Results are pretty consistent between the two.

I grin every time I read to AFMA "the distance you normally shoot at". Unless you're a studio, portrait or macro photographer who the heck can nail this one? I noticed that the 50x recommendation is just inside infinity focus so I thought it made sense to work here rather than the 50x recommended distance. This has produced slightly better results with my 15mm diagonal fisheye (I can't explain this at all!), and very good results in particular with the long end of my telephoto zooms (200 and 400mm, with and without 1.4x III). I've gone back to 50x for everything in the middle, no difference.

I've had a couple of lenses similar to the 85mm mentioned, where value exceeds the limitations of MA scale. While it's not a big deal to adjust based on dot-tune instructions, in both cases in my experience the lens was sufficiently faulty not to hold focus for very long even after adjusted value. Neither dot-tune nor FoCal are going to be of any long term help I'm afraid.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,067 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 26, 2018 12:51 |  #68

Nethawked wrote in post #18549511 (external link)
I use FoCal and it works great. The latest version is much less picky about focus target, light, etc. and is quite easy to use. That said, dot-tune for the win - it's so much easier and faster. Results are pretty consistent between the two.

I grin every time I read to AFMA "the distance you normally shoot at". Unless you're a studio, portrait or macro photographer who the heck can nail this one? I noticed that the 50x recommendation is just inside infinity focus so I thought it made sense to work here rather than the 50x recommended distance. This has produced slightly better results with my 15mm diagonal fisheye (I can't explain this at all!), and very good results in particular with the long end of my telephoto zooms (200 and 400mm, with and without 1.4x III). I've gone back to 50x for everything in the middle, no difference.

I've had a couple of lenses similar to the 85mm mentioned, where value exceeds the limitations of MA scale. While it's not a big deal to adjust based on dot-tune instructions, in both cases in my experience the lens was sufficiently faulty not to hold focus for very long even after adjusted value. Neither dot-tune nor FoCal are going to be of any long term help I'm afraid.

I believe the distance you normally shoot at is also a reference to doing MFA at location of shooting. That is what it says in the manuals but who reads that :-)

The developer of Dot Tune does it at infinity.

Image Editing OK

Nethawked
791 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 26, 2018 13:10 |  #69

digital paradise wrote in post #18549515 (external link)
I believe the distance you normally shoot at is also a reference to doing MFA at location of shooting. That is what it says in the manuals but who reads that :-)

The developer of Dot Tune does it at infinity.

I actually read the manual and I'm a nerd! While I found high comedic value in the advice it's not something I expect is close to anyone's reality.

Good to know that snapsy also does it this way. I'd read sometime after the fact that a bird photographer who produces beautiful photos (name not remembered) does the same and felt good about my change in process.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,067 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 26, 2018 13:58 |  #70

The manual also says - Normally this adjustment is not required. Perform this adjustment only if necessary. Note that performing this adjustment may prevent accurate focusing from being achieved.

I have always got a kick out of "read the manual" but ignore that part :-) I have had two Canon service reps tell me MFA is for emergencies and should be sent in to be evaluated. I'm not going to do that for minor tweaks but I have a "flexible" threshold limit for sending it in. I did only once for a lens that was out to lunch. I can see how helpful MFA is for 3rd party lenses.

I came across this a few years ago that supported my thoughts on it so I'm not the only one. Not many do.

Section 11

https://photographylif​e.com/how-to-calibrate-lenses (external link)

Image Editing OK

Nethawked
791 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 26, 2018 14:30 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #71

As a software developer and product manager who actually has to support his products, my guess is that the statement in the manual is to prevent support overload. It doesn't surprise me at all that Canon service reps aren't turning down canon service rep hourly fees. ;-)a Phase detection by its nature isn't exact and adjustments are necessary. I've had a camera come back from cleaning that required adjustment. I've bought lenses that were sent back due to way-off values (AFMA is the second thing I do with any new purchase). I also own Canon's 50mm f/1.4 that loses critical focus if I sneeze around it. So naturally I think it's a necessary exercise, whether results tell me it was needed or not.

But, that's a different argument that nobody has yet won. To each his own.

Thanks for the reference. This is the one I've bookmarked. Section "Is that it?"

https://www.lensrental​s.com …djustment-on-your-camera/ (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,067 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 26, 2018 14:46 |  #72

For sure. Plus the 50X recommendation which covers the distance issue. If closer to 25X and people don't follow directions resulting in support calls.

That is why use contrast detect to very a suspected issue. With 10 consecutive shots there will be some variation but it shows you a trend. Add spec deviation within upper and lower specs with both mechanical and electrical there are a lot of variables that can effect AF.

I don't MFA at first. I find birds and go to the zoo if I have to. Eyes, beaks and head feathers are my tests.

Image Editing OK

Nethawked
791 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 26, 2018 15:11 |  #73

digital paradise wrote in post #18549617 (external link)
I don't MFA at first. I find birds and go to the zoo if I have to. Eyes, beaks and head feathers are my tests.

Yep, that's why it's the second thing I do. We have 7 dogs, the zoo comes to me.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,067 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 26, 2018 16:41 |  #74

Nethawked wrote in post #18549640 (external link)
Yep, that's why it's the second thing I do. We have 7 dogs, the zoo comes to me.

:-)

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

5,148 views & 18 likes for this thread
Does FoCal work
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.