Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 03:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manfrotto Tripod Suggestion

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 19, 2018 11:20 |  #16

johnf3f wrote in post #18544028 (external link)
Do without a tripod for a while and save some money to get a decent one - cheaper in the long run:-)

^
If you buy a really cheap tripod, it will be much harder to sell as used, compared to trying to sell off a used expensive tripod.
So when you buy your second tripod, it is much more likely that will not have been able to recoup any of the cost of the first tripod (effectively making the 2nd one even 'more expensive')

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,944 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 5 months ago by John from PA.

Jan 22, 2018 09:04 |  #17

Anything magic about Manfrotto?

Slightly more than you wanted to spend but the B&H deal of the day (22 January) may be of interest. It is the Benro FIF19CIB0 Carbon Fiber Transfunctional iFoto Series 1 Tripod Kit which is normally $334 but reduced to $169 for today's deal. See https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …1_carbon_fiber_​ifoto.html (external link) for the details.

tomj
609 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 22, 2018 09:12 |  #18

I'd suggest looking for something used.

I use an older Slik 700dx that I found on ebay several years ago for around $50. It came with a pan/tilt head that I've since replaced with a ball head. This is a solid tripod that would suit your needs.

I recently found one of these, width a fluid-style video head that I will probably replace, at a Goodwill store for $4.99:

https://www.keh.com …75&aid=1125475&​rmatt=tsid (external link):|cid:931225564|agid:508​67619276|tid:aud-355278561525:pla-360547709011|crid:2440​46047110|nw:g|rnd:1325​752055900559191|dvc:c|​adp:1o1&gclid=EAIaIQob​ChMIm7f77err2AIVkYKzCh​3WlwLOEAQYASABEgIFLvD_​BwE

Flickr (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,724 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 22, 2018 10:57 |  #19

John from PA wrote in post #18546414 (external link)
Anything magic about Manfrotto?

Lots of them available on the used market with decades of life left in them.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 22, 2018 12:42 |  #20

Just that I have seen and read on tripods and Manfrotto is up there in the list more than any other. So I figure this brand was the way to go. Thanks John/tomj, will look at the links provided.

I have not found much luck on craigslist, offerup or even let go. If I can get a used one, better for me.

Wilt
40,183 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by Wilt.

Jan 22, 2018 12:46 |  #21

Very recently a Manfrotto 055 leg set was listed on POTN for a mere $100. The Bogen 3021 predecessor / Manfrotto 055 has had longstanding respect among photographers as a quality product at very affordable price (until the low labor costs in China permitted them to market knock-off tripods and cheaper junk at even lower prices)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

SkedAddled
Goldmember
1,680 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 26, 2018 16:20 |  #22

I can attest to the structural integrity of the Manfrotto 055 aluminum legs.
It's solid & stable, easy to adjust, and can reach very high in comparison to
a lot of other offerings. Very solid build to it.

However, it's fairly heavy, not making it a great candidate for easy portability.
It's a bit long folded up, too, at nearly 2.5 feet without a head on it.
I'm sure it's an excellent choice for studio work, but if I'd known then
what I know now, I would have held out for further funds to obtain
a carbon legset. My own choices for photography have me moving around,
and the 055 has been left behind in favor of my smaller & lighter(aluminum)
tripod. With a tax refund heading my way this year, I may finally pull
the trigger on a lighter-weight carbon legset.

CraigΣ 10-20|Tamron SP 28-80|Tamron SP 60-300|Soligor 75-260|Soligor 400|Soligor C/D 500|Zuiko 50 f/1.8|More Manual-Focus glass
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

Wilt
40,183 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 26, 2018 16:35 as a reply to  @ SkedAddled's post |  #23

Yes, big trade-off between spending $100 for a used, strong but heavy tripod, or spending
$150 for one of the cheap Chinese carbon fiber (of uncertain quality). or spending
$350 for one of the proven quality Chinese carbon fiber, or spending
$500 for a Gitzo

(and then you need a quality head)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 4 months ago by DaviSto. (2 edits in all)

Jan 26, 2018 17:03 as a reply to  @ SkedAddled's post |  #24

I recently went tripod shopping with the Manfrotto 055 high on my list. After probably a full hour and a half trying out the different tripods on offer I ended up buying the three section carbon fibre version of its baby brother 190 (MT190CXPRO3). I didn't save a lot of money that way but the weight difference is significant, and my longest lens is 70-300mm and I have a collar mount for that, so I felt it would be enough for the use I would make of it. I came to the conclusion that it made much more sense for me to buy the slightly less robust model, because I would be far more likely to drag it around with me and would actually get much better use from it.

The other important consideration for me was that the maximum height of the 190 without the column extended and with a geared three-way head on it was spot on for my height. The 055 is a couple of inches taller and would have needed more adjustment and led to more irritation every time it was set up. I felt I could do without that.

I know that there are a few on this forum who are dubious about Manfrotto. Hey ... I looked at Gitzo but the prices are ridiculous for the amount of use that I expect to make of a tripod (if it turns out that I get a lot more use from this than I expect ... that will be time I look to buy something more up-market). I looked at a couple of the Chinese Gitzo knock-offs but they were going to cost more than the Manfrotto and I wasn't convinced by them. The full range of Manfrotto spares are also very easy to get hold of in the UK (and at reasonable prices) and the tripod comes with a ten-year warranty.

Apologies ... this entire response is of limited use to the OP ... because both tripods are way out of his price-range (new or second hand). I don't think a cheap, light, robust/reliable option is likely to exist, however. I agree with the advice given by an earlier poster. If $100 is your budget limit ... best spend it on something else. You are unlikely to get a really solid tripod within this budget.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Wilt
40,183 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt. (10 edits in all)

Jan 26, 2018 18:49 |  #25

DaviSto's reply reminds me of some immutable facts from the 1990's

The aluminum Bogen 300n (precursor to the Manfrotto 190) was
  • the hiker's tripod, for those seeking quality in a lighter, more portable tripod
  • good for those realizing that it would not be quite as tall as the heavier Bogen 3221

The aluminum Bogen 32nn (precursor to the Manfrotto 055) was
  • For someone wanting a sturdy affordable tripod
  • of primary interest to those not wanting a tripod for hiking
  • which could reach eye level for many users

Many photographers owned both the 30nn for hiking, and the 32nn for less portable work, and both tripods still made for a very affordable combination.

Fast forward a decade or two, and Manfrotto came out with carbon fiber as a more affordable alternative to the Gitzo tripods. Trouble for many folks was, the Manfrotto carbon fiber tripods were a fairly pricey step upward, for not that dramatic a weight reduction.
Enter the Chinese alternatives within the past ten years, a number of which have been discovered to be pretty good at the price, and not junk that you might assume.
And then there is the even less expensive really questionable Chinese stuff in the $100-150 range now available. Until we hear some credible reports from folks who know how to judge a tripod properly, with impartial objective reports about weaknesses and strengths, they are a risk of ill-spent money.

A quality dependable tripod at $100 was scarely achievable in 1990, so if you consider the effects of inflation it is even more of a challenge. Yes, sourcing Chinese products has decreased the price of tripods somewhat even for a quality product; but beware the too-good-to-be-true.

SailingAway
319 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited 4 months ago by SailingAway.

Jan 27, 2018 01:57 |  #26

I hauled a 190 CF tripod all over SE and S Central Alaska a few years ago. A great trip, and the tripod was perfect. (Acratech GP head)

No regrets at all, it’s my most often used sticks for stills work, and though the 3 section packs longer than the 4 section version, it pays off every time you use the tripod. Not as easy to pack and haul, but easier to actually use! I’m among the minority who really like the flip levers, too.

All that was before I got a super-tele though... Which kind of works on the 190, but, if I were doing that trip again I’d definitely take the long lens and the bigger Gitzo with Sidekick. Which would be a hassle in a couple ways, but way worth it!

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited 4 months ago by Nethawked.

Jan 27, 2018 13:33 |  #27

Snydremark wrote in post #18543544 (external link)
Definitely tough to get a good tripod under $100, especially with a head attached already. I really don't recommend the Manfrotto units, in general, as their cheaper legs are just that and their service and parts availability in the US is absolutely awful.

If you look into one of the many, many clone units that are out on the market nowdays, with Arca-Swiss compatible quick release clamps, you'll probably find something workable. I would go with this setup, https://www.amazon.com …W3269TKGA3K&pd_​rd_w=ZN9CG (external link), before I would touch any of the ones linked there.

Sorry, but this advice makes no sense at all. You don't recommend Manfrotto, respected and been around forever, because of "cheaper legs" (new to me), but recommend a Chinese knockoff you've never used?

My recommendation is to sign up for email alerts from Adorama and B&H and wait for a deal on better known, better reviewed products within your price range. I strongly advise saving a bit more because cheap, unreliable legs or head are worse than not having one at all.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 28, 2018 10:37 |  #28

Thanks for the suggestions. I will wait and save a bit more then. I can use what I have in the meantime. I have in the past. Won't hurt to wait a bit longer.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,724 posts
Joined May 2004

Jan 28, 2018 12:34 |  #29

Snydremark wrote in post #18543544 (external link)
Definitely tough to get a good tripod under $100, especially with a head attached already. I really don't recommend the Manfrotto units, in general, as their cheaper legs are just that and their service and parts availability in the US is absolutely awful..

Eh? I have six old Manfrotto tripods, and I have zero problem getting parts for them online.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,755 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 28, 2018 13:20 |  #30

look at sirui on ebay. I have a full size sirui with ballhead that I bought as a back-up for under $150. extended w/o center column its the same height as my 3-series gitzo. I've replaced it with a waterproof sirui as I shoot in the surf. I'll be listing it on the sales forum as soon as I can get the motivation :-P

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

sponsored links

1,868 views & 10 likes for this thread
Manfrotto Tripod Suggestion
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.