Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2018 (Friday) 20:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Light Stand Bag?

kcrossley
258 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 26, 2018 20:03 |  #1

I just purchased (3) Impact lights stands from B&H Photo, but they didn't come with a bag. I found a Manfrotto bag I think will work, but I wanted to know what you guys do to protect each stand from damage. In other words, is there a sleeve I can purchase or do you have another solution? Here's a link to the light stands: https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …ed_light_stand_​black.html (external link)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cameras/Lenses: Canon 80D, Canon 70D, Canon 18-55mm, 50mm, 10-18mm, and 55-250mm Lenses
Accessories: Case Logic SLRC-206 Backpack, Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT, Canon RC-6 Wireless Remote, Davis & Sanford TR653C-V9 Carbon Fiber Tripod, Aputure Amaran HR672 LED Light Kit, Kamerar DF-1M Softboxes

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,004 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 26, 2018 20:24 |  #2

Honestly I never worried about the stands rubbing together. I just put the stands in an old ski bag.

MidnightUK
160 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 26, 2018 20:31 |  #3

You can get bags like this with internal divisions built in.

https://www.essentialp​hoto.co.uk …0cm-quad-stand-caddy-bag/ (external link)

They come in various lengths.

Personally I like to keep my gear looking smart, plus its easier to sell on in the future if I wish to.

kcrossley
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 26, 2018 20:36 as a reply to  @ MidnightUK's post |  #4

That's really nice. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have that brand in the U.S.

Cameras/Lenses: Canon 80D, Canon 70D, Canon 18-55mm, 50mm, 10-18mm, and 55-250mm Lenses
Accessories: Case Logic SLRC-206 Backpack, Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT, Canon RC-6 Wireless Remote, Davis & Sanford TR653C-V9 Carbon Fiber Tripod, Aputure Amaran HR672 LED Light Kit, Kamerar DF-1M Softboxes

Strobo
104 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited 9 months ago by Strobo.

Jan 26, 2018 20:43 |  #5

kcrossley wrote in post #18549824 (external link)
is there a sleeve I can purchase or do you have another solution?

The best solution is no solution. In other words, if I understand you correctly, they don't need to be individually wrapped and you don't need to worry about damage from light stands contacting each other. Just toss your stands into a case or bag, whichever you prefer, and they'll be fine.

The manfrotto stand bags are pretty small, there's not much room in there for other than the stands. You may want to get something with considerably more capacity. That way you can throw in a few umbrellas, modifiers, cords etc.

The best value I've come across in stand bags is the On Stage LSB-6500 bag. I got mine through amazon a few years back. It's very well made, well padded and I only paid $30 at the time. It usually carries two c stands, three 12ft stands, a soft box and an assortment of umbrellas. After four years it's still in great shape.

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,626 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2016

Jan 26, 2018 20:44 |  #6

I have seen a wide variety of bags used for carrying stands. I knew one guy who repurposed his hockey bag for carrying equipment. Personally, I use speaker stand bags (On-Stage) I bought from eBay. Just make sure you measure your stand properly and get the right size bag. I easily get two stands and a cross bar (for backdrops) into each bag. If I remember correctly, I think I paid about $30 or $35 bucks for each bag. They're well padded and have held up incredibly well for an inexpensive bag.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,401 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited 9 months ago by Jarvis Creative Studios.

Jan 26, 2018 21:11 |  #7

I got these light stands from Amazon. Pretty good quality for the price. Came in a set of two with a carrying bag for about the same price as one light stand that you posted above. The bag does not have separate compartments, but I've had them 7 months, take them on every job, and have not had any damage from them rubbing together in the bag. They're just as good as new, which is awesome considering the price.

P.S. They're also air cushioned which is really nice.

https://www.amazon.com …age_o09_s01?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,170 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 26, 2018 21:17 |  #8

A Tenba Sling bag is a good choice for a tripod, light stands and scrim frame and fabrics.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

Nogo
I could have been worse....
7,128 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited 9 months ago by Nogo.

Jan 26, 2018 21:45 |  #9

I just store mine in the bags that come with the $5.00 fold up chairs. If you go to a lot of sporting events, people just tend to leave them at the venue when they leave so often you can get them for free. I will get something better when I find what I want, but for now the chair bags work just fine.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

sincity
164 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 27, 2018 07:59 |  #10

I use the bag with wheels, to save my back..

LINK~ https://www.adorama.co​m/slbbl3.html (external link)

kcrossley
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 27, 2018 09:29 |  #11

Nogo wrote in post #18549876 (external link)
I just store mine in the bags that come with the $5.00 fold up chairs. If you go to a lot of sporting events, people just tend to leave them at the venue when they leave so often you can get them for free. I will get something better when I find what I want, but for now the chair bags work just fine.

That's a great idea! After you mentioned this I thought why not use the heavy-duty clear plastic bags that the stands came with and then put them in a larger Manfrotto-type light stand bag.

RandallB
307 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 27, 2018 11:16 |  #12

This bag looks interesting and I believe the Stobepro guys ship to the US. I am considering getting one for my non c stands.

https://strobepro.com …ltimate-stand-bag-4-piece (external link)

6D w/Vello grip, 650 w/Canon grip, 85 1.8, 16-35L, 40mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 L Macro Broncolor Siros 400S
BOWIE RIP!

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,863 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 9 months ago by Wilt.

Jan 27, 2018 12:12 |  #13

Wheels can be a nice touch when the bag is heavy, but even four 144" stands is under 20 lbs. and four 6' stands is less than 10 lbs.

Compartments are nice, not from the standpoint of avoiding stands damaging each other, but from the standpoint of not rattling and making a racket when you come to an event after folks are already there enjoying themselves. (Why create a commotion, when there is not one already?!) A solution to any transport device without built in dividers is simply to wrap the stands individually with small sections of polyfoam shipping cushion, and the racket is minimized.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

MidnightUK
160 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 27, 2018 16:49 |  #14

kcrossley wrote in post #18549837 (external link)
That's really nice. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have that brand in the U.S.

You can probably get them under some other company name. I think its just a re-badged generic bag. More than 1 company sell similar in the UK, so I would be surprised if you cant find them in other parts of the world. I am pleased with mine.

At least you can send off to suppliers with the link, asking if they do something similar.

Good luck.

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
917 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited 9 months ago by Angmo. (2 edits in all)

Jan 27, 2018 17:28 |  #15

I like On-Stage bags. Mic stand bags... sound stage stuff. good prices. Shoulder straps... take a look.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

sponsored links

4,086 views & 8 likes for this thread
Light Stand Bag?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.