Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 03:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying Lenses Online

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Jan 24, 2018 16:29 as a reply to  @ post 18548252 |  #16

I have come across 'Made in China' Canon kit. It was the nastiest camera equipment I have ever had the displeasure of using and the images it delivered were extremely poor with dreadful colour casts particularly apparent. Build quality was awful. Working through its menu was a complete nightmare.

I can't believe Canon would permit its name to be attached to such rubbish.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

sponsored links
Nick5
Goldmember
2,987 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 24, 2018 17:13 |  #17

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18548207 (external link)
We no longer have any viable brick and mortar stores close by... and by close by, I mean, a 4 hour drive. In fact, there might only be one in all of Florida. Anyway, I often buy from Allen's Camera Shop in Pennsylvania. Their staff is pretty knowledgeable though most of them are Nikon shooters, personally. Their prices are identical to all the major online sources. I've never had to ask them to return a lens, so I don't really know what their return policy is, but they usually have the items for which I'm searching in stock even when some of the others are on backorder. I bought my last three new lenses from them, I think, thought I did pick up a refurbished 24-105 from Canon not too long ago.

St. Nick got my new 100-400 at Allen's as well. Like I said before, good people indeed.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,207 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007
Post edited 6 months ago by msowsun.

Jan 24, 2018 17:59 |  #18

DaviSto wrote in post #18548258 (external link)
I have come across 'Made in China' Canon kit. It was the nastiest camera equipment I have ever had the displeasure of using and the images it delivered were extremely poor with dreadful colour casts particularly apparent. Build quality was awful. Working through its menu was a complete nightmare.

I can't believe Canon would permit its name to be attached to such rubbish.

Canon kit made in China? Which camera and which lens?

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,062 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 24, 2018 18:27 |  #19

msowsun wrote in post #18548252 (external link)
I have never heard of Canon using Korea to manufacture of any of it's lenses. What evidence did you see?

This was likely in the late 1990's because at the time I was looking to acquire a short telephoto for my Canon Elan IIe. I was shopping a huge commercial area that specialized in electronics and saw Made in Korea on a lens. When I inquired about this I was told that many products commonly from Japan (and not just camera equipment) was made and only sold in Korea. I won't go into detail here (wrong forum) but I was told it was due to the cultural differences brought about by Japan Korea relationships over hundreds of years. As best I recall I ultimately bought the lens in Hong Kong. It was (as best I recall) a 135mm early "L" of some sort and made in Japan. Quite a work horse but heavy so when I moved to digital (and got older) I moved to zooms to lighten the load.

oingyboingybob
150 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 25, 2018 11:13 |  #20

Panamoz or E-infinity are both excellent grey import suppliers. I have purchased a cart load of expensive gear from them in the past 10 years and never once had any problems yet saved a small fortune and sold on whatever I wasn't too keen on in some cases for more or less what I paid. Some may frown on grey imports, and there are possible risks in theory but I have yet to experience any. Currently I lean towards E-infinity...for example my most recent purchase was for the Canon EOS 5DSR which was ordered on Thursday Jan 18. It arrived double-boxed via UPS Tuesday Jan 23, bearing in mind that there was a weekend included between those dates. No 'hidden' extra charges whatsoever, as usual.

Canon: EOS 1DX, 70-300 f4-5.6 mkii, 24-105L, 16-35 f4L
Sigma: 150-600C
Tamron: SP 45mm Di VC

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Jan 25, 2018 12:59 |  #21

msowsun wrote in post #18548298 (external link)
Canon kit made in China? Which camera and which lens?

It's possible that I got the 'wrong end of the stick' on where the camera was actually manufactured ... and perhaps Canon China Inc. were just the wholesaler.

The camera in question was a plain bridge camera Canon PowerShot SX 30 IS (nominally). That's a lot less camera than I usually shoot with but I am familiar with what to expect from an average 'point and shoot' and this is a camera that got good enough reviews in its day. I have never handled such a 'dog' of a camera before. Menu system was jumbled and seemed to be truncated in places (roads that led to nowhere) ... and had none of the look and feel that I am familiar with from Canon camera bodies. The images it delivered were awful ... with a strong yellow/green colour cast. It was just unpleasant to shoot with.

The camera was bought in China by a family member. Perhaps it was just a very bad copy ... but my gut feeling was that it was a fake.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,207 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 25, 2018 14:40 |  #22

DaviSto wrote in post #18548709 (external link)
It's possible that I got the 'wrong end of the stick' on where the camera was actually manufactured ... and perhaps Canon China Inc. were just the wholesaler.

The camera in question was a plain bridge camera Canon PowerShot SX 30 IS (nominally). That's a lot less camera than I usually shoot with but I am familiar with what to expect from an average 'point and shoot' and this is a camera that got good enough reviews in its day. I have never handled such a 'dog' of a camera before. Menu system was jumbled and seemed to be truncated in places (roads that led to nowhere) ... and had none of the look and feel that I am familiar with from Canon camera bodies. The images it delivered were awful ... with a strong yellow/green colour cast. It was just unpleasant to shoot with.

The camera was bought in China by a family member. Perhaps it was just a very bad copy ... but my gut feeling was that it was a fake.

This website says that some Compact cameras are made in China so it is quite possible.

http://www.canon-asia.com …any/about?langu​ageCode=EN (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,746 posts
Gallery: 540 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 26, 2018 14:44 |  #23

My first Canon was also my first DSLR, the 300D with the 18-55 USM kit lens. This was a special all black model sold in the UK only by Jessops, and included the genuine Canon grip. It's too long ago now for me to remember the exact details, but I'm sure the lens was made in China, and I have the feeling the body was made in either China or Taiwan. I'm certain that none of it was made in Japan.

On the other hand all of my Sigma lenses were made in Japan.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

nordlysBW
353 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 27, 2018 12:30 |  #24

JF1980 wrote in post #18547077 (external link)
1) I understand that if I buy a genuine Canon item outside of the UK that it is not covered by local warranty - so it would have to be sent back to the country of origin for any warranty issues, is this correct?

2) If an item is sourced outside of the UK, will Canon UK still provide paid servicing for it (AF check/calibration, cleaning etc)?

A Canon body, lens, etc... bought from an authorized dealer (brick-and-mortar or online) has a European warranty of one year or more depending on the item. Many sell well under list price and if in addtion you can combine your purchase with a Canon cashback scheme or local promotional sales, the final price is often not so outrageous.

Check all details about Canon's EWS System here:

https://www.canon.co.u​k …r_products/warr​anty_faqs/ (external link)

sponsored links

3,145 views & 3 likes for this thread
Buying Lenses Online
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.