Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,968 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 27, 2018 11:50 |  #11026

JeffreyG wrote in post #18550173 (external link)
So buy the cheaper 82mm filters. It turns out that there is very little difference between expensive and cheap CPLs.

https://www.lensrental​s.com …polarizer-filter-article/ (external link)

https://www.lensrental​s.com …-circular-polarizer-post/ (external link)

Maybe a bit better flare performance with the top end coatings on the B&W, but are you shooting into the sun with a CPL on? Anecdotally some folks claim the better multi-coatings are easier to clean, and so you can decide if that's worth ~2.5X the price.

I had read that article before and I'm glad you've reminded us of it. I had that nagging thought I was forgetting something important.

A straight line curve would be ideal, wouldn't it? It makes me question the high transmission filters, like the B+W, as they seem to suppress transmission of the violet and blue spectrum. I'd rather have the flattest line possible. Really piques my interest in the Zeiss T* CPL, as it seems to have the flattest line of those filters tested.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, FE 50mm ZA, Batis 85mm

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,469 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 27, 2018 12:32 |  #11027

I've got the Marumi and Zeiss CPL, and I honestly cant tell much difference :-P

I dont know CPL rules well enough to use it I know it makes a difference because I've seen and compared shots, but dont do a whole lot of still water shots.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,458 posts
Gallery: 581 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 27, 2018 12:37 |  #11028

I’ll just go for the b+W I think. Not just for still water but also helps with clouds and general contrast and colour, haze etc

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
RX1R II | α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket
Voigtlander 15 | Loxia 21 | Batis 25 | Voigtlander 40 | Batis 85

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,469 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 27, 2018 12:42 |  #11029

xpfloyd wrote in post #18550178 (external link)
Thanks Jeffrey, ill have a read

Does anyone know of a photoshop action to allow me to compare centre, mid and corner crops of various layers i.e. if I tripod mount and take a photo at each aperture, then stack as layers in photoshop, is there a quick way to lay out each crop beside each other to compare sharpness at each aperture. I can do this manually but it takes time. Are there any actions available to do this?

The way Phillip Reeve and Fred Miranda compare apertures on lenses, thats what I want to automate

this may or may not help, but if you have a trial of C1, you can view in tile mode and go to 100% in each tile. I find that ultrafast as I dont need to import it anywhere. I do this to quickly check centering and I've used it to resolve disputes with a company that insisted my lens was up to spec. In the end, they folded and got me a new lens. The other company immediately took back another lens as well. These past two years have been particularly bad with lenses, although I've been going through them like mad.

on a happier note, most of my lenses are fairly well centered.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,782 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 27, 2018 12:44 |  #11030

LeeRatters wrote in post #18550168 (external link)
I have Hoya slim I think. No complaints. Obviously cheaper and a smaller size though - 67mm I think.

I also have Hoya filters. Less expensive and seem to hold their own against B&W......at least the ND filters seem to be good.

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Samyang 12/2
flickr (external link) flickr (external link)
Feedback

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,463 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 27, 2018 15:50 |  #11031

Ongoing experience coming to Sony A7rIII after over a decade with Canon:

Everyone who wants to neg on Sony says the menu structure sucks. And they are right. I walked through the entire thing in the user guide and actually created an Excel spreadsheet to map out my plans for mapping buttons, Fn button menu, and the 4 pages of "my menu". That's fine, at it is true that once this is done the camera is very functional.

The other point though, is that going back into the full 150+ pages of the main menu system is now basically not something I'm going to do. If I've missed some functionality it will take a forum post or something to alert me to it. And just as a start, it seems like the top tabs could have been so much more. "Camera 1" and "Camera 2" really? So descriptive as to which functions are in which tab.

January isn't a great photography month around here, but I'm playing with the camera. Only having a 28mm lens for the moment is also limiting. I'm not seeing a noticeable difference in images from the greater resolution (this is all against my 5D3) and I do not see a big difference in noise levels above 3200. I did push the hell out of shadows in one shot, and the Sony DR advantage did actually show up there as expected.

One area I was looking for is better AF performance or accuracy. So far I am not seeing it. The AF areas are so huge on the Sony, it is hard to be very precise. Eye-AF appears nice, but I've caught it missing focus by a bit on a few occasions. I obsessively MFA'd my Canon lenses with the 5D3, and at least today I am more accurate with Canon than with the Sony....but that's all very preliminary. I'm only using my one Sony 28mm lens so far. But it isn't magic.

So, still playing. I plan to run the two systems side by side for at least 18 months and see how things shake out.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

ChrisHeathcote
182 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by ChrisHeathcote.

Jan 27, 2018 16:27 |  #11032

I bought a Marumi CPL a couple of years ago, I was so pleased I bought a second one when I needed a different size

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,968 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by David Arbogast.

Jan 27, 2018 16:33 |  #11033

JeffreyG wrote in post #18550313 (external link)

Everyone who wants to neg on Sony says the menu structure sucks. And they are right. I walked through the entire thing in the user guide and actually created an Excel spreadsheet to map out my plans for mapping buttons, Fn button menu, and the 4 pages of "my menu". That's fine, at it is true that once this is done the camera is very functional.

The other point though, is that going back into the full 150+ pages of the main menu system is now basically not something I'm going to do. If I've missed some functionality it will take a forum post or something to alert me to it. And just as a start, it seems like the top tabs could have been so much more. "Camera 1" and "Camera 2" really? So descriptive as to which functions are in which tab.

January isn't a great photography month around here, but I'm playing with the camera. Only having a 28mm lens for the moment is also limiting. I'm not seeing a noticeable difference in images from the greater resolution (this is all against my 5D3) and I do not see a big difference in noise levels above 3200. I did push the hell out of shadows in one shot, and the Sony DR advantage did actually show up there as expected.

One area I was looking for is better AF performance or accuracy. So far I am not seeing it. The AF areas are so huge on the Sony, it is hard to be very precise. Eye-AF appears nice, but I've caught it missing focus by a bit on a few occasions. I obsessively MFA'd my Canon lenses with the 5D3, and at least today I am more accurate with Canon than with the Sony....but that's all very preliminary. I'm only using my one Sony 28mm lens so far. But it isn't magic.

So, still playing. I plan to run the two systems side by side for at least 18 months and see how things shake out.

Sounds like it’s not an upgrade for you. Too late to return it and go back to Canon? How about a 5D IV instead?

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, FE 50mm ZA, Batis 85mm

ChrisHeathcote
182 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 27, 2018 16:36 |  #11034

I cant comment too much on the Riii, however I have had the Rii for the last 7 months so most of my comments will refer to that. I think as good as the AF is on the A7Riii, the 5D3 still has the edge and only you can decide if it is good enough. For me it is as most of my subjects are fairly stationary (I have the A7Rii not the iii). Where I noticed the difference was the IQ, the files are so much more flexible on the Sony, I have been shocked at how much detail I have pulled back from blown highlights and shadows without adding a load of noise. Speaking of noise I happily push up to 12800 in extreme conditions. The other benefit is the high resolution, you can quite easily crop 50% of the image and still pull details

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,720 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 27, 2018 16:58 |  #11035

digital_AM wrote in post #18549897 (external link)
DJI is on a roll and I'm with you. I can't keep up with all their products. I didn't know about the Obsidian until recently. I listen to Nick's landscape podcast weekly and heard it mentioned there.

---------------

A shot of the stone wall in my living room. Plants are courtesy of my wife. Sony display is courtesy of me. :-P

Batis 18

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23PC​aNV  (external link) My Living Room Wall (external link) by Alfredo Mora (external link), on Flickr

David Arbogast wrote in post #18549936 (external link)
^That is a beautiful image Robert.

The ugly substation in the foreground is not beautiful and wrecks the view...

Loxia 35mm:
QUOTED IMAGE

Nice work guys !!

My Gear flickr (external link)

JeffreyG
15,463 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 27, 2018 17:17 |  #11036

David Arbogast wrote in post #18550351 (external link)
Sounds like it’s not an upgrade for you. Too late to return it and go back to Canon? How about a 5D IV instead?

Eh, that isn't really my plan. I'm aware that it's quite likely that I will be negative on any new system for a while given that I have used Canon higher end bodies for over a decade. Unfamiliarity and set ways make it easy to dismiss the new.

My plan is to run an A7rIII with two native primes (28/2 and 55/1.8) and the MC-11 adaptor alongside my Canon gear. I will use the 5D3 for sports, and try to use the Sony for everything else. If I wind up liking the Sony, I will eventually migrate to a complete E-mount system. I'm looking to be open minded. I may make negative posts here, but that isn't intended to be a slam on Sony vs. more of me looking for perspective and help.

My goal here is to identify the places I'm struggling and hopefully folks on this forum can lend a hand and some wisdom. So, OK....the menu system on the Sony is not good. That's a done deal. But what about my concern on the AF?

I'm a little confused in some regards here. The A7rIII multi-point (small) AF selection (IMO) has what I see as still being a gigantic AF point. Does anyone else see this the same way? How do you carefully select what you want to focus on when you are placing this giant green square over the subject?

On a similar note - I have been using eye-AF, but sometimes it seems to me that it grabs the wrong thing. Give me a few and I will get some examples.

JeffreyG
15,463 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by JeffreyG.

Jan 27, 2018 17:22 |  #11037

ChrisHeathcote wrote in post #18550355 (external link)
I cant comment too much on the Riii, however I have had the Rii for the last 7 months so most of my comments will refer to that. I think as good as the AF is on the A7Riii, the 5D3 still has the edge and only you can decide if it is good enough. For me it is as most of my subjects are fairly stationary (I have the A7Rii not the iii). Where I noticed the difference was the IQ, the files are so much more flexible on the Sony, I have been shocked at how much detail I have pulled back from blown highlights and shadows without adding a load of noise. Speaking of noise I happily push up to 12800 in extreme conditions. The other benefit is the high resolution, you can quite easily crop 50% of the image and still pull details

Yes, I took a shot today of my son with windows behind him. I did it knowing the shot was trash because with my Canon I would have mounted a flash to balance the windows.

Then I pulled the hell out of it. This is not much of a shot, don't look for beauty here. To me the only thing I noticed here was I could replace flash with extreme DR in a pinch for a snapshot. Still....interesting. I pulled this +95 on the shadows slider in Lightroom.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

JeffreyG
15,463 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 27, 2018 17:37 |  #11038

So how accurate to you all find eye-AF to be?

I have to say, I want to get something other than a wide-angle lens to play with. Soon. But I went out today as it was sunny and (relatively) warm and shot my son playing with his toy drone. I find that eye-AF can miss. I really want to see how this works with longer lenses. What kind of results do you folks tend to find?

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ChrisHeathcote
182 posts
Joined Oct 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by ChrisHeathcote.

Jan 27, 2018 17:40 |  #11039

JeffreyG wrote in post #18550383 (external link)
Eh, that isn't really my plan. I'm aware that it's quite likely that I will be negative on any new system for a while given that I have used Canon higher end bodies for over a decade. Unfamiliarity and set ways make it easy to dismiss the new.

My plan is to run an A7rIII with two native primes (28/2 and 55/1.8) and the MC-11 adaptor alongside my Canon gear. I will use the 5D3 for sports, and try to use the Sony for everything else. If I wind up liking the Sony, I will eventually migrate to a complete E-mount system. I'm looking to be open minded. I may make negative posts here, but that isn't intended to be a slam on Sony vs. more of me looking for perspective and help.

My goal here is to identify the places I'm struggling and hopefully folks on this forum can lend a hand and some wisdom. So, OK....the menu system on the Sony is not good. That's a done deal. But what about my concern on the AF?

I'm a little confused in some regards here. The A7rIII multi-point (small) AF selection (IMO) has what I see as still being a gigantic AF point. Does anyone else see this the same way? How do you carefully select what you want to focus on when you are placing this giant green square over the subject?

On a similar note - I have been using eye-AF, but sometimes it seems to me that it grabs the wrong thing. Give me a few and I will get some examples.

Just a quick question. I was looking at your Flickr and noticed that most of your shots were of some prom of sporting event or moving subject. With this in mind I would have thought that the A9 would have suited you better. I would have thought the zero blackout would have been an advantage?

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,527 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by mystik610. (2 edits in all)

Jan 27, 2018 17:50 |  #11040

You'll never really get used to the menus...they're always confusing, but its largely a matter of there being so many functions in the camera that it can be a pain to dig through. The good thing is that once you get your custom keys, fn menu, and my menu options squared away you never really have to dig through the menu. But the times you do need to are always kind of painful because it takes forever to find the function you need.

The 28f2 is a good lens for what it is, but isn't really a lens that will showcase the body IMO. The IQ is so-so with that lens. Also, the micro-focus accuracy becomes more apparent as you shoot at really shallow DOF, and 28f2 isn't terribly shallow. I think you'll see a bigger difference when you adapt your Canon glass over.

Eye-AF is really accurate if your subject is perfectly still or making small movements. For larger movements, there's a bit of latency and you have to time opening the shutter only when the AF point is actually on the eye. The a7rIII is much better than the MKII in this regard, but the same concept applies if your subject is really moving a lot.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

sponsored links

1,562,341 views & 53,233 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.