Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 14 Jan 2018 (Sunday) 23:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Optimal number of images in a gallery?

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,304 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 14, 2018 23:15 |  #1

Let's say you have a photo site, and let's say the you have six galleries divided into different categories. When a guest enters a gallery, is there an optimal number of photos that should be available?

Or, phrased another way: Let's say you have over 1,000 photos processed, is it better to have ALL of them available for viewing all the time, or a select number and rotate images in and out to keep things 'fresh'?

This would be for things like landscape, autos, birds, etc., not so much weddings or portraiture.

In your opinion, of course.

Maybe it's just me, but I would think if you had everything available you would overwhelm the guest.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 7 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Jan 14, 2018 23:34 |  #2

photoguy6405 wrote in post #18541086 (external link)
Let's say you have a photo site, and let's say the you have six galleries divided into different categories. When a guest enters a gallery, is there an optimal number of photos that should be available?

Or, phrased another way: Let's say you have over 1,000 photos processed, is it better to have ALL of them available for viewing all the time, or a select number and rotate images in and out to keep things 'fresh'?

This would be for things like landscape, autos, birds, etc., not so much weddings or portraiture.

Maybe it's just me, but I would think if you had everything available you would overwhelm the guest.

It totally depends on the purpose of the gallery.

I know people who use their online websites/galleries as stock sites, where customers can look through thousands of images to find one that will fit their needs. . For these photographers, thousands upon thousands of images is the right number, because that is the level of selection that their clients are used to when they go to stock sites to search for images to license.

If you're just some dude who wants to shoot weddings or senior portraits or whatever, then of course you wouldn't want thousands of images in each gallery. . In these cases, all you are trying to do is to present enough work to give the potential client a good accurate idea of your style and your ability to produce quality results in a number of different scenarios.

There are many, many, many different types of photographers and many different types of clients. . And then there is selling images as fine art prints vs. selling photographic services vs. selling image licensing.

Hence, the optimal number of galleries to have, and the optimal number of images to have in each gallery, is something that will vary greatly from one scenario to another and from one person to another. . Could be two dozen in each gallery, with only 3 or 4 galleries. . Could be 5 to 10 thousand images in each gallery, with 20 to 30 galleries, in a thoroughly searchable database.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,230 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 15, 2018 00:22 |  #3

Less is more

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 26, 2018 13:16 |  #4

The number of photos is dependent on subject matter and/or audience, whether general public or client. What matters is performance and keeping people at your website. Multiple images mean longer load times, so the recommendation might be to use pagination. You can also potentially influence better findability with consistent tags and categories and presenting galleries based on tag or category selection, or adding a tag cloud to your website.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,005 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 27, 2018 21:13 |  #5

What Tom said.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

588 views & 2 likes for this thread
Optimal number of images in a gallery?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.