Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 31 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 11:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Too young?

nrowensby
Goldmember
3,993 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 31, 2018 11:32 |  #1

My oldest daughter is showing an interest in photography, but the only digital cameras she's ever messed with are DSLRs. She has asked for one for her 11th birthday and I was thinking about buying her one, but was curious if she was too young to get into it at a DSLR level.

I never really got into it to the point of wanting to learn my way around a camera/lighting, etc until I got a SLR. When I had point and shoots, I would just snap photos randomly and never gave much thought to the process until I got my first SLR.

Would an entry level DSLR (older Rebel series) and some photography books be an appropriate gift for an 11 year old? Or should I go a different route to get her introduxed and test the waters?

--Nick's Marketplace Feedback--
[Insert witty quote here]

sponsored links
jptsr1
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 31, 2018 11:39 |  #2

11 is fine to me. My daughter is 9 and shoots with my EOS M3. Se doesn't grasp all the settings (not even close) but she is learning more every time she uses it.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,473 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 6 months ago by nathancarter.

Jan 31, 2018 12:03 |  #3

When I was in grade school, one of my teachers had a keen interest in photography and had us using film SLRs and darkroom developing - I guess I would have been nine or ten at the time.

It wasn't "my" camera and equipment, but I wouldn't think eleven is too young for a camera.

It's ultimately up to your judgment of how well she takes care of her other possessions.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,597 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 31, 2018 12:05 |  #4

Not too young.

At all.

Even if she stays on the green box.

Biggest concern would be size and willingness to carry it around.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 31, 2018 12:13 |  #5

nrowensby wrote in post #18553379 (external link)
My oldest daughter is showing an interest in photography, but the only digital cameras she's ever messed with are DSLRs. She has asked for one for her 11th birthday and I was thinking about buying her one, but was curious if she was too young to get into it at a DSLR level.

Would an entry level DSLR (older Rebel series) and some photography books be an appropriate gift for an 11 year old?

I think that getting her a DSLR is entirely appropriate. . If 8 and 10 year olds can masterfully operate laptop computers, smartphones, gaming devices, and smart TVs, then why on earth wouldn't an 11 year old be capable of operating a DSLR?

In fact, DSLRs are actually much less complex than most of the technological devices that her age group already use on a regular basis.

You mention "some photography books". . That might be a good idea, but there are a lot of people who learn things better when they are shown how to do something, instead of being told how to do something. . If she is one of these people, then a better idea might be to set up a playlist on YouTube for her, in which you include videos that do a great job of showing how to use her gear.

Some of us just learn a lot better from videos than we do from text, and if she is one of these people then a playlist of videos would be much better than a stack of books. . The videos will be watched, replayed, and referenced for months/years to come, and the books will likely go unread.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,785 posts
Gallery: 1173 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 31, 2018 12:25 |  #6

I would think age has nothing to do with it.

Instead, it would be more about what's comfortable and likely to be used, such as something that is big and heavy, versus something a lot smaller that will fit in their hands and not be a pain in the butt of too self-conscious about it to want to take it and use it often.

Mine has been doing it since about between 2~3 years old, is now 4 years old, and loves cameras large and small:

At 2ish years old, it was the EOS-M & 22mm pancake. She loved it. So easy to use (just like a cellphone, just look at a screen with WYSIWYG and touch it and it takes a photo).

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8733/16886780081_1b787ca401_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rJea​oH  (external link) IMG_2935 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Now at 4 years old, she loves using a T4i and 18-55 STM with the LCD and flash. It's still big, but she can manage it at 4. So I would think an older kid would easily handle it.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4363/37050857945_b9da1e2002_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Ys4k​eB  (external link) _X5Y4376 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Doing it over, I would just get a small APS-C or M43 mirrorless system, used. Quiet. Small. Easy.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,249 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 31, 2018 12:31 |  #7

Been handing off my 40D and 18-270 to my niece since she was 9; giving her the kit for her own this coming 4th of July, for her 11th bday. :) So, no, she's hardly too young, IMO.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

nrowensby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,993 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 6 months ago by nrowensby.

Jan 31, 2018 13:07 |  #8

Awesome, I didn't think so... Actually picked up a Rebel T3 off Craigslist for her today. It was practically free, so I couldn't help myself! I look forward to seeing what she does with it in the coming months and thanks for all the input! :D

Here's a pic of her from 2007 taken with my first DSLR... Hehe

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,968 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 31, 2018 13:30 |  #9

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18553407 (external link)
Biggest concern would be size and willingness to carry it around.

Plus how good she is at loss prevention, especially if she goes out without an adult or a group of friends. Valuable items can disappear and never turn up in Lost & Found.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,918 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 6 months ago by Bassat.

Jan 31, 2018 13:33 |  #10

I'm a bit late to the party to offer advice, but congrats on finding an acceptable camera for her.

A bit over a year ago, I picked up a used XSi/18-55 for $75, and gave it to my grandson, then 7. He shoots primarily on P-mode, but is starting to get inquisitive about settings when he doesn't get what he wants. He can dial in settings if I make him use Manual mode. He understands its, but he prefers to point and shoot. He's 8, now. Whatever you want kid, just keep shooting.

Tom

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,380 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by digital paradise.

Jan 31, 2018 15:44 |  #11

I don't know what your camera preferences are but you can get a dirt cheap older used light crop as suggested. The Canon 18-55 and 55-250 STM are pretty amazing when it comes to IQ. They still blow me away and sometimes I take just those 2 and my 7D2 on a trip if we travel light and are on the move.

Give her a chance to change lenses so she can have some fun. If it does not work out easy to sell.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Jan 31, 2018 17:20 |  #12

OhLook wrote in post #18553451 (external link)
Plus how good she is at loss prevention, especially if she goes out without an adult or a group of friends. Valuable items can disappear and never turn up in Lost & Found.

Totally agree ... gone in 30 seconds. I've lost gear that way ... just a point-and-shoot but, still, a good one and the best/only point and shoot that I owned. That's with a seven or eight year old--really keen on taking photographs and getting the hang of it--who, in the end, just couldn't maintain concentration, put the camera down somewhere, and in no more than the blink of an eye it was gone forever.

You can't get mad at a small child for losing something ... especially a camera you entrusted to them to help build their interest in photography. You are the only one to blame and you just have to soak up the pain.

Cameras for children should be small, include only a basic set of controls, and be cheap enough that you are happy to risk losing them. They should be tough enough to withstand a straight drop from at least three feet onto concrete.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

nrowensby
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,993 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 22, 2018 17:29 |  #13

She got the camera for her birthday yesterday and mom took her to the park to put it through the paces today. :love:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,597 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 5 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Feb 22, 2018 18:29 |  #14

Awesome!

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,224 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 23, 2018 00:01 |  #15

She's a natural .... looking for the shot.

sponsored links

2,107 views & 25 likes for this thread
Too young?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.