Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 30 Jan 2018 (Tuesday) 14:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is This SD Card Fast Enough?

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,972 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 30, 2018 14:24 |  #1

for burst shooting mode? If not, could someone recommend what's the minimum required?

https://www.bestbuy.co​m …d/5428700.p?sku​Id=5428700 (external link)

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 30, 2018 14:31 |  #2

SYS wrote in post #18552664 (external link)
for burst shooting mode? If not, could someone recommend what's the minimum required?

"if I buy 8 gallons of gasoline, will that be enough to last me until Monday?"

The card you linked to is advertised as being capable of 80 MB/second.

We can't accurately tell you whether or not it is "fast enough for burst mode", because we don't know what camera you are shooting, what burst rate it has, or whether you are shooting RAW files or jPegs.

Nor can we tell you "what is the minimum required" unless you provide us with these details.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,972 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 30, 2018 14:45 |  #3

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18552671 (external link)

We can't accurately tell you whether or not it is "fast enough for burst mode", because we don't know what camera you are shooting, what burst rate it has, or whether you are shooting RAW files or jPegs.

Nor can we tell you "what is the minimum required" unless you provide us with these details.

Yes, of course, how stupid of me. :oops: I'm shooting RAW only with Canon 5DIII, and I typically like to shoot 5 burst shots and no more. Thanks.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 30, 2018 15:01 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #4

If I were in your shoes, I would call the good folks at B&H Customer Service at 212-444-6784.

They are knowledgable. . Just tell them what camera you have and that you shoot RAW and ask what card speed you'll need to keep up with burst mode. They'll look it up and be able to tell you within a minute or two.

They will also be able to tell you what cards they have that meet your requirements, and tell you what the best value is and/or what cards they have on special deal. . Their prices are usually s good or better than anyone else's.

The CS reps that answer the phones know what they're talking about and speak English as a first language. . And they can take your order right over the phone.

I think of these CS folks as a resource, and I like to use the resources that are available to me so that I don't have to figure it all out and look it all up myself.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,771 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 30, 2018 15:39 |  #5

SYS wrote in post #18552664 (external link)

No, it is not a good choice for fast burst shooting. See below for reason.

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18552671 (external link)

Sandisk Ultra support "maximum transfer" rate of 80MB/s. This is actually their sequential read speed. This card only do sequential write at a little more than 10MB/s, making it a very poor choice for clearing buffer. You should step up to Sandisk Extreme card, even the 45MB/s write card will a noticeably improvement. Beyong that, the return is diminishing.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,771 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 30, 2018 15:40 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #6

For 5DIII, you won't need too fast of card. The interface is limited to 25MB/s. So a 45MB/s Sandisk Extreme will be more than good enough. Sandisk Ultra card won't saturate the interface.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,972 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 30, 2018 15:46 |  #7

eelnoraa wrote in post #18552740 (external link)
For 5DIII, you won't need too fast of card. The interface is limited to 25MB/s. So a 45MB/s Sandisk Extreme will be more than good enough. Sandisk Ultra card won't saturate the interface.

Thank you, exactly what I needed to know. :-)

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

tim
Light Bringer
50,923 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 31, 2018 18:45 |  #8

Cameras have a buffer where images are kept before being written to memory card. Read your camera manual to find out the capacity.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,066 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 31, 2018 19:59 |  #9

eelnoraa wrote in post #18552738 (external link)
You should step up to Sandisk Extreme card, even the 45MB/s write card will a noticeably improvement. Beyong that, the return is diminishing.

B&H

32 GB $17 https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …o4xfTuArIu9xoCC​68QAvD_BwE (external link)

64 GB $30 https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …in_extreme_sdhc​_64gb.html (external link)

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,972 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 31, 2018 20:07 |  #10

I was looking at these on BestBuy. It's more expensive there, but I have to use its $50 reward before Feb. and I don't have anything else to get from there except those cards. I think I'll get 2 32GB and be done with it.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

cristphoto
874 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by cristphoto. (2 edits in all)

Feb 22, 2018 20:45 |  #11

For best burst shooting on a 5D3 you need to use a fast CF card not a SD card. The 5D3 will give 36 RAW shots per burst before the buffer fills and the buffer will clear in 2 seconds. Compare that with a fast SD card you can only shoot 15 shots before buffer fills and it will take 16 seconds before the buffer clears. (These numbers based on 1066x Lexar CF card and 633x Lexar SD card). This is because the 5D3 can make use of UMDA 7 CF cards but can't fully utilize the latest UHS1 SD cards.

5D MKIV, 5D MKIII, 1D MKIV, 24L II, 35L, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 26, 2018 13:32 |  #12

I believe hardware specs for 5DIII and 5DIV are the same. Nonetheless, this is a good resource. I only buy Sandisk Extreme Pro, and just bought a combination 64GB CF/SD combo from B&H for $99 (*x2).

http://www.cameramemor​yspeed.com …iv/sd-cf-card-speed-test/ (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,066 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 5 months ago by John from PA. (2 edits in all)

Feb 26, 2018 16:51 |  #13

Nethawked wrote in post #18572789 (external link)
I only buy Sandisk Extreme Pro, and just bought a combination 64GB CF/SD combo from B&H for $99 (*x2).

Good price! Anyone interested see https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …PeMbeIm_pe7BoCF​NAQAvD_BwE (external link)

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,972 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Feb 26, 2018 16:58 |  #14

Nice price, but isn't it an overkill for what 5DIII can handle?

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 27, 2018 22:58 |  #15

SYS wrote in post #18572964 (external link)
Nice price, but isn't it an overkill for what 5DIII can handle?

Not for the CF card. 5DIII supports UDMA7. Not for the SD either really, either way you still benefit from faster card write with this class. That said, you are looking for more economical, and these cards probably don't qualify.

sponsored links

1,430 views & 7 likes for this thread
Is This SD Card Fast Enough?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.