Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 31 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 07:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

100-400 with 2X Converter - Not happy

ksbal
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Gallery: 289 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 31, 2018 16:56 |  #16

Just as a by the way... I noticed mine were far from sharp this morning, even with it being much better (sharper) earlier.. the lower on the horizon, the more clouds/haze/heat warp/ etc also come into play.. Try shooting the moon on a clear night with it high in the sky and compare to this mornings run... I saw a significant loss in sharpness just from those factors, among other things, but at least I can be one of the thousands (hundred thousands? Millions?) that captured the event.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,371 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by digital paradise.

Jan 31, 2018 22:42 |  #17

It took a few tries to get it. Just to add I never had decent success using AF.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,030 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 01, 2018 07:17 |  #18

Let this be a lesson. If you want a photo of the moon, spend another $2,500 for the newer versions of both products. ;-)a

dhornick
THREAD ­ STARTER
654 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 01, 2018 07:47 |  #19

ksbal wrote in post #18553599 (external link)
Just as a by the way... I noticed mine were far from sharp this morning, even with it being much better (sharper) earlier.. the lower on the horizon, the more clouds/haze/heat warp/ etc also come into play.. Try shooting the moon on a clear night with it high in the sky and compare to this mornings run... I saw a significant loss in sharpness just from those factors, among other things, but at least I can be one of the thousands (hundred thousands? Millions?) that captured the event.

I totally agree with this. As I was shooting it, I kept thinking to myself how low on the horizon it was so low that I was actually shooting it between two houses. So I do agree this makes a huge difference.

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,371 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 01, 2018 08:03 |  #20

There were some posts about atmospheric distortion in the 100-400 II review thread. The horizon is bad for that but so is distance, especially near the ground.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,346 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by Wilt.

Feb 01, 2018 11:23 |  #21

Since the discussion point is involving lunar photography, here is a shot from the 2010 lunar eclipse, which was the first total lunar eclipse to occur on the day of the Northern Winter Solstice since 1638,

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_5183-1.jpg

Shot with 70-200mm with Canon 1.4X telextender and Kenko 1.4X telextender stacked

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

1,753 views & 14 likes for this thread
100-400 with 2X Converter - Not happy
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.