Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 14:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Battery Grip for 80D

firme
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 24, 2018 14:42 |  #1

Hello,

I'm in the market for a battery grip. Is there an after market grip that I can use that can "harm" the camera. A non Canon grip, would it harm the battery/camera? I asked a local store and they said they would not recommend it and to stick to Canon whether I buy from them or not. I have no knowledge with this item and hopefully I can get some help. I tried finding a used one and no luck. I do have the battery it came with and purchased another Canon battery. Thanks in advanced.

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,060 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 24, 2018 19:24 |  #2

The often purchased 3rd party grip for Canon DSLR's is the Vello. Since the one for the 70D has been around for several years and is the same one for the 80D I think you will find it to be reliable. Complaints are relatively few. See https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …ttery_grip_for_​canon.html (external link).

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,060 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 6 months ago by John from PA.

Jan 25, 2018 04:24 |  #3

Just an FYI, the Vello grips in five differing options is available today only (01/25/2018) for $50 at B&H Photo, or a savings of $35 on the model for the 70D/80D. See https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com/find/dealZone.j​sp (external link) for the Deal of the Day. In addition to the one mentioned for the 70D/80D the following options exist, all at $50.

Vello BG-C14 for 5DIV

Vello BG-C9 for 5DIII, 5DS & 5DSR

Vello BG-C12 for 7DII

Vello BG-C8 for 6D

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 25, 2018 08:23 |  #4

Thank you guys very much for the link. Sure is a big difference of paying $180 vs %50. Will be reading the reviews. Has anyone had any difficulties with this battery grip? Does it hold charge for a reasonable time frame? Just curious. Will end up buying this for the camera.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 25, 2018 09:11 |  #5

After reading the reviews, I noticed the a few that had the 1 star were of people who had their cameras fried after using the Vello grip. From the 80 something reviews it only happened 3 times.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,060 posts
Joined May 2003

Jan 25, 2018 15:46 |  #6

You're suffering from analysis paralysis and the B&H deal is today only.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 25, 2018 16:34 |  #7

Perhaps your right, but nothing wrong with double checking. LOL.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 29, 2018 16:11 |  #8

Well did order the grip, scheduled for tomorrow's delivery. Thanks again guys for the links.

sjnovakovich
169 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 02, 2018 10:05 |  #9

I bought one during the special, but after reading this thread, I am returning it because I am wary of frying my 80D.:rolleyes: I guess I'll just suck it up and pay the price for a Canon grip. Better than take a chance on having to get a new camera.

Steve Novakovich
www.SteveNovakovich.co​m (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,060 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 02, 2018 15:21 |  #10

firme wrote in post #18551931 (external link)
Well did order the grip, scheduled for tomorrow's delivery. Thanks again guys for the links.

Update, especially on the quality out of the box.

wpaul98
25 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 02, 2018 16:09 |  #11

I took advantage of the B&H promotion and got mine a few days ago. I am testing it tonight at a high school variety show and tomorrow at a college basketball game. Out of the box I have to say that it feels good and sturdy. I don't have a Canon to compare to, but so far I am happy with my purchase. Only time will tell if this was a good purchase.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 02, 2018 16:45 |  #12

With the rubber, feels like the camera won't slip from your hand. Does feel light before you place in batteries, not that it suppose to be heavy, just feels light. The buttons work as they should, the dial doesn't feel smooth though. As far as taking photographs, works well. Haven't taken much yet but the few I have, camera works fine with it.

sponsored links

3,731 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon Battery Grip for 80D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.