Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 01 Feb 2018 (Thursday) 22:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Printing Calendars

LobsterNuts
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 6 months ago by LobsterNuts. (2 edits in all)

Feb 01, 2018 22:57 |  #1

Hello, I have recently started asking around if friends and family would like a calendar of my wildlife and Landscape photographs and surprisingly about 15 people said yes. I've never made a calendar before.

I have been reading forums all day and I am leaning towards ordering from Vista Print or going to Walmart and having them made up.

I obviously want a quality print. I like the $10 price point from Walmart, but I cant vouch for the quality.

I was wondering if anyone here had any advice or experiences to share about printing calendars.

What printing service would you recommend?

here is a link to some of my photographs if your interested, https://500px.com/ccni​ckels (external link)

sponsored links
rosh4u
136 posts
Joined Jun 2017

Feb 02, 2018 00:31 |  #2

Yeah!
definitely, you should try it once. But sorry to say as I don't have any experience with the same. You can check it out with some other calendar printers which can help you.

Roshni Patel Co-founder of Auto Stamper (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 02, 2018 00:59 |  #3

LobsterNuts wrote in post #18554446 (external link)
I obviously want a quality print. I like the $10 price point from Walmart, but I cant vouch for the quality.

If you are wanting quality, then I think the best you will find is the 13" by 19" Premium Calendar from Lulu.com

This is the calendar that I order every year, because it is the best quality, and the price is quite good considering the size and quality. . They are $18.99 each, and Lulu frequently offers coupon codes that will get you either percentage discounts or free shipping.

I usually use AdoramaPix for my printing needs, but their comparable calendar is $30, and not quite as nice or as big as the one from Lulu. . As much as I like AdoramaPix, I can't justify spending $30 for something when I can get something higher quality and a bit bigger for just $19. . I wish AdoramaPix would be more competitive with some of their printed products. . Most of their prices are AWESOME, but then for certain items they just don't even try to compete.

Here's a link to the Lulu calendar that I like so much:
http://calendar.lulu.c​om …ub2hjHBhxgFhoCx​8UQAvD_BwE (external link)

Oddly enough, once you click on the "Get Started" button, this is the thing you'll need to click on:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

And then when you see this menu at the top of the page, you'll want to click on that button at the upper right that says "Photo books and Calendars". . The different book and calendar size and format options are listed below that, and you'll want to select the Premium Calendar 13.5 by 19 inch option.

HOSTED PHOTO

Once you click on that, it will open the Lulu Studio design software. . You will need to register for an account before the design software will open.

Once you are in the Lulu Studio, you will be prompted to select from the different calendar layout options, and you'll probably want to select the one they call "Modern".

I hope things turn out well for you with this fun and creative project! . If you do decide to use Lulu, and have any questions about how to use the software, please don't hesitate to contact me and I'd be glad to walk you through it.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,761 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 02, 2018 01:04 |  #4

What printing service would you recommend?

I think mixbook does a great job with calendars. Excellent print quality. Lots of calendar styles to select from.

In the past I used another popular print service, but mixbook is better.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

LobsterNuts
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 02, 2018 06:29 |  #5

Great feedback everyone! Thank you.

Now I see a problem! About the time I posted this people started asking how much the calendars would cost. I had been researching "cheap" places to get calendars made up so I figured $10 dollars was about what it was going to cost to make them so I told everyone $25 dollars. Silly on my part I guess. Now I feel obligated to offer them at $25.

With that said, looks like I'll be ordering the 11 x 8.5 calendar. I will probably get them from lulu. If the shipping is too high, I may try walmart I guess, or another site. If some better alternatives get recommended here within the next couple days, I will consider those as well.

thanks again.

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Gallery: 357 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 02, 2018 06:45 |  #6

I printed calendars for the last 6 years (around Christmas time). In that time Ive used Vistaprint, PrintingCenterUSA, and have gotten good results from both. I normally find out the amount of interest before I order. And once I know the approx qty. I usually order extras and have always sold those as well once others see the calendars. The quality might not be as high as Lulu. but I am able to sell a 16 month calendar for $15 and make a profit on that. Have not had a single complaint about quality in that time.

Vistaprint did have an issue one year, but they replaced the order at no charge, so all was good.

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

LobsterNuts
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 02, 2018 08:27 as a reply to  @ digirebelva's post |  #7

PrintingCenterUSA

^ this looks great! Thank you!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Feb 02, 2018 11:17 |  #8

LobsterNuts wrote in post #18554561 (external link)
Now I see a problem! About the time I posted this people started asking how much the calendars would cost. I had been researching "cheap" places to get calendars made up so I figured $10 dollars was about what it was going to cost to make them so I told everyone $25 dollars. Silly on my part I guess. Now I feel obligated to offer them at $25.

Oh, you never said that you were going to be trying to sell these calendars, much less trying to sell them at a profit.

Hello, I have recently started asking around if friends and family would like a calendar of my wildlife and landscape photographs .
. .

I make my photography profit on image licensing, so I don't have to try to make money off of my friends and family. . I could see charging your friends and family members for the calendars, I suppose ..... but only to recoup the printing costs. . It seems kind of crass to try to make a profit off of people that are close to you personally.

The calendars that I order from Lulu, I just give them as gifts to friends, family, and clients. . When giving calendars to people that I know and work with personally, quality is very important, and I just don't think that you will be able to get real nice quality from a place that sells calendars for low prices like $10 each.

The calendars that sell for those low prices, well, the paper isn't nice and heavy, and the calendar size is small, and the printing is sub-par, because the photos often look weird when viewed at certain obtuse angles, relative to the light source.

These Lulu calendars are great and the paper they use is first-rate. . I wouldn't be surprised if each 12 month calendar weights well over a pound!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 02, 2018 11:39 |  #9

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18554727 (external link)
and I just don't think that you will be able to get real nice quality from a place that sells calendars for low prices like $10 each. thats a very broad statement that just happens to be wrong

The calendars that sell for those low prices, well, the paper isn't nice and heavy, and the calendar size is small, and the printing is sub-par, because the photos often look weird when viewed at certain obtuse angles, relative to the light source. Wrong Again. I have not seen that issue the last 6 years. I'm sure it happens, just not with the 2 companies I have used

PrintingCenterUSA is not a fly by night company...they are capable of doing runs of 1,000 or more...you can get saddle stitch, wire, spiral....etc.

Size/Qty 10 50 100 150 200 250 500 1,000
8.5 x 11 $166.92 $316.72 $49​8.62 $712.62 $841.02 $​926.62 $1,397.42 $2,27​4.82

I get the 8.5x11 version (which is actually 11x17 when you add the bottom) and if I order at least 25 the discount is enough so that I can sell them at a reasonable price. I sell at least 50 every year (usually more)...maybe you can afford to eat that kind of outlay from Lulu, but I can't. I only started selling when I kept getting requests for them. And I get asked every year if I am going to do another one...so

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,702 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Joined May 2008

Feb 02, 2018 11:49 |  #10

I've had good results from VistaPrint. I give my calendars away.

What's the difference between a price point and a price?

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 02, 2018 11:54 |  #11

digirebelva wrote in post #18554744 (external link)
PrintingCenterUSA is not a fly by night company...they are capable of doing runs of 1,000 or more...you can get saddle stitch, wire, spiral....etc.

Size/Qty 10 50 100 150 200 250 500 1,000
8.5 x 11 $166.92 $316.72 $49​8.62 $712.62 $841.02 $​926.62 $1,397.42 $2,27​4.82

I get the 8.5x11 version (which is actually 11x17 when you add the bottom) and if I order at least 25 the discount is enough so that I can sell them at a reasonable price. I sell at least 50 every year (usually more)...maybe you can afford to eat that kind of outlay from Lulu, but I can't. I only started selling when I kept getting requests for them. And I get asked every year if I am going to do another one...so

The problem with that is that the good prices seem to be based on larger runs. The way I do calendars, each person that I give one to gets one that is made specifically for them.

Ken really loves trophy-caliber Whitetail Deer, so I make a calendar at Lulu that is just for Ken, featuring Whitetail Deer.

Mike M. loves trophy big game, while his wife loves songbirds. So I make a calendar for them that features big game animals during the fall and winter (hunting months) and songbirds in the spring and summer.

I make a calendar for the regional art gallery that features images that are taken locally, and that appeal mostly to women and kids, because they are the ones that mostly frequent the gallery. This calendar is used to generate interest in my work, which in turn results in some print sales there at the gallery, or in people contacting me to inquire about my photography.

I make a calendar for the local Land Trust office that features images taken locally, mostly on Land Trust properties. This is to inspire local landowners to become more interested in the wildlife that lives on their property (many landowners don't even know what species of animals are on their own land until they see these photos).

Brian likes amphibians - in fact, he did his masters thesis on toads! So I make a calendar for Brian every year that features amphibians (and some big game because he is also a big game hunter).

And so on and so forth for 25-30 different people and agencies every year. . I just don't see how you are going to get such a great degree of individual customization AND top-shelf quality (extremely heavy linen-like paper) with these larger print runs.

If you want to make money off of your friends and family, then these bigger runs would work. But if you want to do something special for them in the way of a custom presentation, I just don't see how one can beat making "one-offs" from a place like Lulu.

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by digirebelva.

Feb 02, 2018 12:54 |  #12

Tom Reichner wrote:
=Tom Reichner;18554751The way I do calendars, each person that I give one to gets one that is made specifically for them.

I agree with you that they are not setup for that, so yes, Lulu is probably they best answer for you.

Tom Reichner wrote:
=Tom Reichner;18554751This calendar is used to generate interest in my work,

Same here

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 02, 2018 18:37 |  #13

LobsterNuts wrote in post #18554561 (external link)
With that said, looks like I'll be ordering the 11 x 8.5 calendar. I will probably get them from lulu. If the shipping is too high, I may try walmart I guess, or another site.

Here is a current Lulu discount offer that I just got in my inbox today:

HOSTED PHOTO

Not a HUGE discount, like what you'll find around the holidays, but a decent savings nonetheless. . It brings those nice big 13.5 by 19 inch premium calendars down to $17.09 each, and the shipping is free. . Of course, the smaller calendars would be even cheaper.

I hope it's helpful.

mikeivan
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Gallery: 209 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 14, 2018 10:30 |  #14

I missed this thread back in Feb. I am working on my Christmas Calendars right now. The print shop I use is having a summer sale (-20%). I have used this shop for several years and have had great customer service and high quality calendars. I have tried a couple of other print companies but always return to
Print Pelican https://printpelican.c​om/ (external link)

I pay a little extra for heavier covers and pages and have always been happy with their final product. Just thought I would mention them, in case you are still shopping.

MIKEIVAN

sponsored links

867 views & 4 likes for this thread
Printing Calendars
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.