Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,006 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 03, 2018 06:55 |  #11341

David Arbogast wrote in post #18555174 (external link)
Fred was just mentioning the copy variation issues with the FE 55 just this week...said that the sharp ones are super sharp, but others less so. I think I have an “ok” copy. I’m happy with it.

Alfredo, tonight I snagged that a9 you told me about yesterday. He’s not shipping it till Monday, but I can hardly wait to try it out. :)

Congrats David. Having the a9 will probably convince you to upgrade your a7rII to the a7rIII for the amazing AF and shared batteries if nothing else. ;-)a

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

sponsored links
xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
11,787 posts
Gallery: 531 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 03, 2018 07:42 |  #11342

Miranda1 wrote in post #18554802 (external link)
Hi Eddie

After years of moving away from Zooms I'm slowly starting to add zooms again. This came in today:-). Need to spend some time this weekend testing it out.

Joe

Nice one joe, my tracking says it should arrive on the 8th And we are away on a family trip for 3 days from the 9th so hopefully it arrives on time and I can test it out

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
RX1R II | α7R III | Voigtlander 15 | Loxia 21 | Batis 25 | Batis 85

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,860 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 03, 2018 07:51 |  #11343

digital_AM wrote in post #18555199 (external link)
Thank you! Haha, SATX is pretty safe. Very friendly people here.

I've been meaning to comment on your bird images. They're fantastic! You're doing a great job on those MM.

Yeah I feel more safe walking around with a bunch of gear in downtown SA than downtown Houston for sure.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
14,832 posts
Gallery: 1406 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 03, 2018 08:14 |  #11344

Fred was just mentioning the copy variation issues with the FE 55 just this week...said that the sharp ones are super sharp, but others less so. I think I have an “ok” copy. I’m happy with it.

Alfredo, tonight I snagged that a9 you told me about yesterday. He’s not shipping it till Monday, but I can hardly wait to try it out. :)

David may I make a friendly prediction? I feel the a9 will be a giant love and giant hate fest for you. It will spoil you for unadulterated speed. Every camera
before will seem mired in a tar pit but you have been in the 42mpx world a long time, that 24mpx will be hard to swallow.....but you're keeping your R2
so you'll have the best of both worlds! I don't remember you using the apps that much but you'll still have them. It is the current combo that just can't be
touched. Another thing that really stood out to me in a loud loud way comparing to the 1DXii I also had for a short time period is the clunky slappy obnoxious
sounds the a9 leaves behind. The Riii was voted best new camera at several places but it was the a9 that actually brought new tech.

Bottom line, a huge congratulations.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

MedicineMan4040
14,832 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 03, 2018 08:15 |  #11345

digital_AM wrote in post #18555179 (external link)
Congrats David! I hope it works out for you. The a9 is amazing gear. That for sale thread was funny when one guy asked for the shutter count. It quickly spiraled downward from there.

---------------

Closer view of downtown SATX with the Zeiss 35 f2 ZE

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/En5m​f8  (external link) 20180130-Downtown-SATX-18-copy-web-size-1280px (external link) by Alfredo Mora (external link), on Flickr

2048px Version:
https://www.flickr.com …edomoraphotogra​phy/0v0A85 (external link)

Well it is capable of mechanical shutter ;)

flickr (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,729 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 03, 2018 09:04 |  #11346

navydoc wrote in post #18555301 (external link)
Congrats David. Having the a9 will probably convince you to upgrade your a7rII to the a7rIII for the amazing AF and shared batteries if nothing else. ;-)a

Thanks Gene!

I’m expecting the a7R II will remain very satisfying to use for landscapes and architecture where AF isn’t important or needed. The batteries are terrible though. I need to buy some fresh ones, because the half dozen I own are now terrible and don’t last long at all.

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18555338 (external link)
David may I make a friendly prediction? I feel the a9 will be a giant love and giant hate fest for you. It will spoil you for unadulterated speed. Every camera
before will seem mired in a tar pit but you have been in the 42mpx world a long time, that 24mpx will be hard to swallow.....but you're keeping your R2
so you'll have the best of both worlds! I don't remember you using the apps that much but you'll still have them. It is the current combo that just can't be
touched. Another thing that really stood out to me in a loud loud way comparing to the 1DXii I also had for a short time period is the clunky slappy obnoxious
sounds the a9 leaves behind. The Riii was voted best new camera at several places but it was the a9 that actually brought new tech.

Thanks much Robert!

When released I didn’t think think the a9 would have any appeal for me (and it certainly doesn’t for my landscape/architecture work). But I’m growing as a photographer; developing an interest in more candid street imagery. And after a year of frustration missing interesting shots on the streets due to that “tar-pit” a7R II AF system, I’m ready for some high speed silent shooting AF greatness. :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

MedicineMan4040
14,832 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 03, 2018 09:10 |  #11347

David Arbogast wrote in post #18555355 (external link)
Thanks Gene!

I’m expecting the a7R II will remain very satisfying to use for landscapes and architecture where AF isn’t important or needed. The batteries are terrible though. I need to buy some fresh ones, because the half dozen I own are now terrible and don’t last long at all.

Thanks much Robert!

When released I didn’t think think the a9 would have any appeal for me (and it certainly doesn’t for my landscape/architecture work). But I’m growing as a photographer; developing an interest in more candid street imagery. And after a year of frustration missing interesting shots on the streets due to that “tar-pit” a7R II AF system, I’m ready for some high speed silent shooting AF greatness. :)

I think you're going to get it!
Speaking of the tarpit Rii, Poof just developed an image she shot with 'her' Rii; she was amazed at the shadow pull with the hugely backlit sky-

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4657/39342025834_6c40e11c9c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/22Ww​aCf  (external link) Jack Jouett Road (external link) by Poofadora (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
14,832 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 03, 2018 10:26 |  #11348

Played today with the a9 + PZ 18-200mm
What a hoot!
Of course it goes into crop mode instantly (and an effective 300mm), my file to work with on 10.6 mpx, and then
I had to crop into that.
I'd be no one in this forum would use the SEL PZ18200 but we like it for travel/video.
So the original and the final.
I'm very satisfied with this capture, the take away is the a9 is cropable and often it's not
the number of pixels but how good they are :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,485 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 6 months ago by Bianchi. (2 edits in all)

Feb 03, 2018 10:29 |  #11349

Congrats David, now the 100-400GM and 1.4 TC might also be on your shopping list..

digital_AM wrote in post #18555179 (external link)
Congrats David! I hope it works out for you. The a9 is amazing gear. That for sale thread was funny when one guy asked for the shutter count. It quickly spiraled downward from there.

---------------

Closer view of downtown SATX with the Zeiss 35 f2 ZE

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/En5m​f8  (external link) 20180130-Downtown-SATX-18-copy-web-size-1280px (external link) by Alfredo Mora (external link), on Flickr

2048px Version:
https://www.flickr.com …edomoraphotogra​phy/0v0A85 (external link)

Nice Work !!

vinmunoz wrote in post #18555201 (external link)
Another from Bernadette

vinmunoz wrote in post #18554486 (external link)
I've finally took my laowa 15 to a ride. Hey! I know landscape too. ;-)a
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/K41a​HV  (external link) _7R32338-Edit (external link) by timobong (external link), on Flickr
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/K41a​c4  (external link) _7R32350-Edit (external link) by timobong (external link), on Flickr
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/K41e​We  (external link) _7R32294-Edit (external link) by timobong (external link), on Flickr

the rest are here.
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/49225452@N08/a​lbums/7215769004019074​2

Nice work !!

My Gear flickr (external link)

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,485 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 03, 2018 10:32 |  #11350

Miranda1 wrote in post #18554802 (external link)
Hi Eddie

After years of moving away from Zooms I'm slowly starting to add zooms again. This came in today:-). Need to spend some time this weekend testing it out.

Joe

Congrats Joe !!

My Gear flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
14,832 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 03, 2018 10:55 |  #11351

One more of the Red-bellied using the a9 + SEL 18-200mm in cold cold morning
light-

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
14,832 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 03, 2018 11:37 |  #11352

After playing with the a9+PZ18200 I again hefted the a6500 + 2.0TC + 100400GM.
After two hours with it I can say it is a super viable reach machine if you have light....F11
is still F11. BIF'ing it wouldn't be my first choice. BIF could be done but I'd bet it would be like
the RX10iv where you would loose any AF-C when zooming; in fact for perched birds in bright light
there was some focus hunting in AF-C Flexible Spot--much less in AF-C Center focus. But there might
be a time when super reach and cropability are needed and I'm happy to have got to know this combo's
capability. Also today much less issues with correct color on the Cardinal.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
14,832 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 03, 2018 11:37 |  #11353

Here's one more and the EXIF

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,006 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 03, 2018 13:01 |  #11354

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18555466 (external link)
One more of the Red-bellied using the a9 + SEL 18-200mm in cold cold morning
light-

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MedicineMan4040 in
./showthread.php?p=185​55466&i=i58920169
forum: Sony Cameras

And a very regal looking pose to boot. I'll have to revisit the local mountains to see woodpeckers here.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
5,960 posts
Gallery: 292 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 03, 2018 13:06 |  #11355

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18555338 (external link)

I pretty much agree with this...the two cameras have very different uses, and I for one think they are a great pairing...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

986,384 views & 38,981 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.