Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 13 Jan 2018 (Saturday) 10:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DSLR to confused

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,660 posts
Gallery: 232 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Archibald.

Feb 02, 2018 20:20 |  #16

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18555086 (external link)
If you could spend just one outing in the field with me, I think you would understand why build quality is important.

My 50D is now almost unusable because after getting knocked around for so many years it's buttons barely work anymore. . There's so much grit and stuff worked in behind the buttons and dials that they can barely be turned any more. . The shutter button - it takes a near-herculean strength just to get it to go down far enough to take a picture.

My 5D barely works either, but its problems are more electronic in nature, not so much physical. . I think that constantly having it out in rain and snow has finally caught up with it. . Some of the modes don't work, and you have to hold buttons down and implement weird menu options just to "trick it into" focusing and taking a picture.

Also, the mounts wear out from taking lenses off and putting them on so much. . I have to send the bodies and lenses in to Canon every few years to have new mounts installed because after so much use the metal wears out and the lenses are loose when mounted on the camera. . Sometimes this is so bad that the contacts don't work and it won't autofocus and the Image Stabilization gets weird because power to the lens is cut off abruptly when trying to shoot. . This isn't just the mount screws coming loose - it is the metal of the mount itself wearing so thin that there is sloppy play between the lens and the body.

And another thing with the lenses is that the zooming mechanism and the tripod collar gets all sticky and hard to turn because of the lenses getting knocked around and dirt and grit getting down in there inside of the parts that rotate.

And the catch that keeps the battery in the camera - the "battery door", if you will - breaks from being opened and closed so many times, and then the camera won't work until I get a new one. . This isn't a problem with 1 series bodies because the battery catch is on the battery itself, and when it breaks then I just use one of the other batteries.

So I guess that yeah, build quality is very important because the two cameras that have fallen apart on me are the ones that aren't one series bodies, and the two one series bodies that I have had, they have seen much more use, and yet they remain perfectly functional when treated the same way and when used in the same conditions.

Well, I asked, and that is an answer. In your case, with your use, you wear them out. You need good build quality.

Me, I take 10's of thousands of photos and my cameras show hardly any wear. The lenses are pristine and don't even need cleaning except maybe once a year.

BTW, it's its. :)

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 02, 2018 20:44 |  #17

Archibald wrote in post #18555110 (external link)
Well, I asked, and that is an answer. In your case, with your use, you wear them out. You need good build quality.

Me, I take 10's of thousands of photos and my cameras show hardly any wear. The lenses are pristine and don't even need cleaning except maybe once a year.

I think it has a lot to do with the conditions that one uses the gear in.

For me, it is used exclusively outdoors, in a lot of dirt, sand, snow, and rain. . My gear is laid in the bottom of canoes and boats, on the ground, pulled up into trees via ropes, set out on rocks in snow squalls, set out on clumps of grass in the middle of wetlands, and rarely ever kept in any kind of case or anything. . If one uses their gear in a town or a neighborhood or something, and rarely sets it in the mud or on rocks or out where it gets snowed or drizzled on, and never drops it in the gravel or the mud, then yeah, of course it would still look pristine.

Archibald wrote in post #18555110 (external link)
BTW, it's its. :)

Oh my goodness - I can't believe I did that. . That is very embarrassing. . I try so hard to make sure that everything is correct before I click on the "SUBMIT" button, yet sometimes something will slip through. . My quality control needs to be ramped up a bit. . Thanks for pointing it out - I fixed it.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,660 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 02, 2018 21:04 |  #18

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18555123 (external link)
Oh my goodness - I can't believe I did that. . That is very embarrassing. . I try so hard to make sure that everything is correct before I click on the "SUBMIT" button, yet sometimes something will slip through. . My quality control needs to be ramped up a bit. . Thanks for pointing it out - I fixed it..

Its - most likely the most misspelled word at POTN. And it's only 3 letters long.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,325 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 03, 2018 00:03 as a reply to  @ post 18555086 |  #19

Note to Self: If Tom offers you a camera for sale, politely refuse.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,325 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by Wilt.

Feb 03, 2018 00:04 |  #20

Archibald wrote in post #18555136 (external link)
Its - most likely the most misspelled word at POTN. And it's only 3 letters long.

I cannot say that I miss seeing 'Cannon' on this forum, like I have seen a lot on another forum!
It brings a whole new meaning to 'rapidfire shooting'

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,660 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 03, 2018 00:12 |  #21

Wilt wrote in post #18555211 (external link)
I cannot say that I miss seeing 'Cannon' on this forum, like I have seen a lot on another forum!
It brings a whole new meaning to 'rapidfire shooting'

Some guy on a for sale forum was selling a Tamaron lens. I asked him what the aperature of the Tamaron was. He never got it, just provided the aperture info. :rolleyes: Truely!

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,710 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 03, 2018 07:52 |  #22

My two thoughts.

1. Get a canon SL-2. It’s smaller then the 60D but will still give you good profoance and you can use your current lenses

2. Switch to Fuji. But this will mean starting all over. You could get whatever body you want (the x-t1, x-t2 and x-pro2 are all weather sealed). On the lens side the 16-55 f2.8 is going to be larger and more expensive then you’re 17-50 (but with better IQ) and the 18-55 won’t give you a constant f2.8 (but it small, light, and still have great IQ....honestly on par with the 16-55). The canon 55-250 could be replaced with either the Fuji 55-200 or 50-230. The 55-200 will be a little bigger then the canon 55-250 but will have better build where the 50-230 will be about the same size and have similar build.

The other option with Fuji, if you don’t need anything long, is their small prime lenses which I feel they are best know for. An x-e3 with a few f2 primes is going to be a tiny kit.

All comes down to if you want to switch systems (which Fuji can be quite a bit smaller then what you currently have to just barely smaller and maybe even bigger depending on lens choice) or stick with canon and just get a smaller body

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
7,857 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 6 months ago by mystik610. (4 edits in all)

Feb 03, 2018 09:20 |  #23

There are smaller DSLR lenses out there....but these smaller lenses are optically not that great, and the smaller bodies are crippled in terms of capability, all while leading to set-ups that are still not as small as a mirrorless system. If size is a priority, the upside to mirrorless systems isn't just that they're smaller, but that you aren't giving anything up in terms of quality either. Definitely go APS-C if you want as small of a set-up as possible....and if you go APS-C, Fuji is the way to go. The EOS-M system has potential, but Canon treats it as the bastard child as they protect their DSLR's.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,444 posts
Gallery: 275 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 03, 2018 09:42 |  #24

gremlin75 wrote in post #18555327 (external link)
...On the lens side the [Fuji]16-55 f2.8 is going to be larger and more expensive then you’re 17-50 (but with better IQ) and the 18-55 won’t give you a constant f2.8 (but it small, light, and still have great IQ....honestly on par with the 16-55).

Canons EF 17-55 is 645g. Fujis XF 16-55 is 655g.

Canons EF 17-55 is 83.8 x 111.8 mm. Fujis XF 16-55 is 83.3 x 106 mm

So the Fuji f/2.8 zoom is 10 grams heaver but it is smaller in size.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom
Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,710 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 03, 2018 12:28 |  #25

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18555395 (external link)
Canons EF 17-55 is 645g. Fujis XF 16-55 is 655g.

Canons EF 17-55 is 83.8 x 111.8 mm. Fujis XF 16-55 is 83.3 x 106 mm

So the Fuji f/2.8 zoom is 10 grams heaver but it is smaller in size.

Yes, but he doesn’t have the canon 17-55 he has the Tamron 17-50.

79.5 x 94mm and 570g. So smaller, lighter and almost half the cost.

My point was that APS-C lenses are still going to be comparable in size from canon to Fuji.

So an x-t20 with 16-55 attached would be about the same size as a Canon sl2 with 17-50 attached.

Granted I wouldn’t suggest keeping either f2.8 lens if size is a must. So that’s really where Fuji shines. The 18-55 is on par with the 16-55 for image quality (and I feel better then the Tamron) but is substantially smaller. Only down side is it’s not a constant F2.8

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,444 posts
Gallery: 275 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 03, 2018 14:02 as a reply to  @ gremlin75's post |  #26

I lounge corrected. ߑ

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom
Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

alex66
220 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 03, 2018 14:27 |  #27

I have a health condition that has impacted what I can carry camera wise, a 5d is out somedays a Sony a7 and 55mm is fine others not. An APS mirrorless with a 1.8 or slower prime is fine 2.8 zooms can cause issues, m43 is on the main trouble free. At base iso most systems for my uses give plenty good enough results. It would be possible if there are Canon lenses that you like or look good to you to go with one of the lighter Rebel models. As a good low cost low weight option to dip your toe in the water of m43 the g3 and one of the 1.8 primes is a good option and for what it is the body is tiny though the GM5 is smaller and goes for a lot more. As a bonus most of the Panasonic kit zooms are pretty good, including the tiny 12-32 (24-64) not much bigger than a larger compact.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

sponsored links

1,941 views & 27 likes for this thread
DSLR to confused
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.