Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Feb 2018 (Saturday) 15:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

crappy strap attachment points

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,827 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 04, 2018 12:05 |  #16

Ltdave wrote in post #18555660 (external link)
on my film bodies, the strap attachment points are lugs with triangle split rings in them. the strap goes through the split ring and all of the movement is between the two pieces of metal...

these stamped steel "loops" allow for the straps to slide too much and after a little over a year, the strap ends are getting bunched and (im certain) abraded. other than replacing the strap on some sort of interval to prevent failure, is there anything someone has come up with for a better attachment point? being slotted (vs a round hole) and oriented horizontally dont really lend themselves to putting in a small split ring...

really the biggest nit i have with the EOS cameras...

I never had that experience with my straps on any of my EOS cameras. The straps don't slide, or bunch up. or abrade. What straps are you using?

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

sponsored links
mwsilver
Goldmember
3,827 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by mwsilver. (2 edits in all)

Feb 04, 2018 12:09 |  #17

Ltdave wrote in post #18556008 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Ltdave in
./showthread.php?p=185​56008&i=i141020975
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=185​56008&i=i75081345

It looks like a standard Canon strap. Don't know how you managed to abrade the strap like that. Its the first time I've ever seen anything like that. I have a Canon strap on my somewhat heavy 7D Mark II which I have been using almost every day for almost 3 years and have no wear like that at all. Mine looks almost like new. Maybe its the way you're carrying the camera, or perhaps where, and it's bouncing against the edge of the strap a lot? In any case, its time for a new strap.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,969 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 28, 2018 02:27 |  #18

I had to replace the handle on my daughter's clarinet case the other day and she wanted a braided Paracord deal so I YouTube'd how to do the "standard" cobra weave...

It was pretty easy so I did some extensions for the body, to save wearing through the thin straps. I weaved them tight so they don't slip and slide and get bunched up and abraded from the slotted attachment points...

I did them in two color to match Canon's.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Frodge
Goldmember
3,072 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by Frodge.

Feb 28, 2018 05:56 |  #19

Pretty nice job. I just don’t understand what is happening to your oem straps.

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,969 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 28, 2018 08:06 |  #20

Frodge wrote in post #18574275 (external link)
Pretty nice job. I just don’t understand what is happening to your oem straps.

see my pictures in post #10 and #11

Eric ­ Hopp
100 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Apr 2017

Feb 28, 2018 10:48 |  #21

I used a combination of Op Tech Adapt-Its System Connectors, and Op Tech Utility Loop Connectors to attach to my camera body. Then for my camera neck strap, I attached Black Metal Swivel Snap Hooks. This way, I can attach or detach the camera neck strap to my Canon body, depending on if I want to use the neck strap or camera sling. It gives me options on how I want to carry my camera. It is a little more expensive, but it works for me.

https://www.amazon.com …&sr=sr-1&keywords=op+tech (external link)

https://www.amazon.com …eywords=op+tech​+adapt+its (external link)

https://www.amazon.com …rds=dream+strap​+snap+hook (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,909 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 28, 2018 11:05 |  #22

Ltdave wrote in post #18574219 (external link)
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=185​74219&i=i66226265

That looks like a different camera body than the one you showed us in post #11.

That one had a different type of attachment point - where the metal loop was protruding from the body, while this one here in post #18 has the metal loop recessed from the surface of the outer body shell.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,969 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 28, 2018 11:22 |  #23

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18574462 (external link)
That looks like a different camera body than the one you showed us in post #11.

That one had a different type of attachment point - where the metal loop was protruding from the body, while this one here in post #18 has the metal loop recessed from the surface of the outer body shell.

On the right side of the 5D3 and 4 (this is the 4) is recessed and the on the left side of both of these is protruding..

The original photo is my 5D3 and these are of the 5D4...

sponsored links

2,344 views & 7 likes for this thread
crappy strap attachment points
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.