Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 30 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 14:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Switching from DSLR to mirrorless

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 28, 2018 16:55 |  #121

Spacemunkie wrote in post #18551163 (external link)
I just finally got rid of my Canon DSLR gear after 20 years. It has served me fantastically but technology is moving forwards and it was all starting to feel a bit archaic and cumbersome.

The Panasonic G9 is a brilliant little machine. The only real compromise is the sensor but even there it's only really DOF control that is the issue and there are ways around that. It handles noise at 6400 ISO remarkably well - indistinguishable from the 7D2.

The weight/size saving in the 70-200 2.8 equivalent alone is obscene!

The 7d2 isn't exactly a high-ISO beast though. I wish 6400 were enough for some of the stuff I shoot.

sponsored links
Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 28, 2018 21:54 |  #122

If I can't do it with a 50 1.2 at 6400 it aint worth photographing :D

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,921 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 28, 2018 21:58 |  #123

Spacemunkie wrote in post #18551406 (external link)
If I can't do it with a 50 1.2 at 6400 it aint worth photographing :D

Well then I guess you're saying that nothing I ever photographed was worth photographing, (because you would not have been able to photograph it with a 50mm f1.2 at 6400 ISO). . That makes me feel really great about my photography . . . NOT.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Spacemunkie. (2 edits in all)

Jan 28, 2018 22:03 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #124

The key word in what I wrote was... "I" - yes, I have zero interest in wildlife photography!

It's not a sleight on anyone else's photography. It's just a random voice on the internet anyway - hardly worth taking to heart!

;)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,921 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 28, 2018 22:08 |  #125

Spacemunkie wrote in post #18551410 (external link)
The key word in what I wrote was... "I".

;)

Right.

You said that if you can't shoot it at 50mm f1.2 and 6400, then it isn't worth photographing.

Taken literally, that would mean that anything that you yourself can't photograph isn't worth photographing. . So, again, taken literally, if you weren't at a baseball game, then you couldn't photograph it, so it was not worth photographing. . If you weren't there with me when I photographed a deer, then that deer wasn't worth photographing. . Same for any and all things that you yourself were unable to photograph personally at 50mm f1.2 and 6400.

Perhaps you did not mean this literally?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 28, 2018 22:11 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #126

Read it any way you like!

;-)a

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
688 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited over 1 year ago by soeren.

Jan 28, 2018 23:41 |  #127

Well if I can't photograph it @f8 and 100 ISO it's not worth photographing
:mrgreen:

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

imageswest
516 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 04, 2018 12:19 |  #128

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18538610 (external link)
With all of those cameras you have to turn them on to see all three of those things.

Not with any of my Fuji cameras... and my GFX even shows how many shots are remaining without having to turn it on. Does your M10 do that?

Cliff LeSergent
Images West Photography
www.imageswest.ca (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,321 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Feb 04, 2018 19:28 |  #129

imageswest wrote in post #18556158 (external link)
Not with any of my Fuji cameras... and my GFX even shows how many shots are remaining without having to turn it on. Does your M10 do that?

I shoot with 128g cards with the M 10 so it's a non issue and I prefer a true rangefinder over everything else.

imageswest
516 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by imageswest.

Feb 05, 2018 10:40 |  #130

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18556422 (external link)
I shoot with 128g cards with the M 10 so it's a non issue and I prefer a true rangefinder over everything else.

LOL

I prefer accurate metering and precision focusing accuracy, and my subjects don't patiently pose for me, so none of the M10 "features" are of much interest to me. ;-)a

Cliff LeSergent
Images West Photography
www.imageswest.ca (external link)

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
9,018 posts
Gallery: 2047 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 05, 2018 13:49 |  #131

I've just made the jump myself from my Nikon d7100/nikon 300mm f4 prime, to a Oly E-M1/75-300, my athritis in my hands was casusing discomfort when hand holding my nikon gear for long periods, maksing taking it out a bit less of an enjoyment.

P.

Some stuff.

airfrogusmc
36,321 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 05, 2018 15:06 |  #132

imageswest wrote in post #18556809 (external link)
LOL

I prefer accurate metering and precision focusing accuracy, and my subjects don't patiently pose for me, so none of the M10 "features" are of much interest to me. ;-)a

But not to me and a lot of others. There is not better auto focus than actually doing it yourself and no better exposure judge than decades of expense. All just tools and I would rather have full control over mine especially when it's how i feed the family so it's nice to have choices and as I see it Leica is making tools that are much different than the most of the herd is cranking out today.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,634 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 05, 2018 15:55 |  #133

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18557034 (external link)
Leica is making tools that are much different than the most of the herd is cranking out today.

You keep saying this like Leica is the only company with a unique camera... gimmie a break.

If you want a full frame camera with IBS and high resolution, where can you go but to Sony? If you want a tactile camera with full physical dials and a hybrid EVF/OVF, where can you go but to Fuji? If you want a really small and full featured lens lineup ILC where can you go but m4/3?

Leica is certainly unique, but to call all other brands part of a "heard" all doing the same thing is laughably inaccurate.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,343 posts
Gallery: 346 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 05, 2018 17:02 |  #134

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18557034 (external link)
...All just tools and I would rather have full control over mine especially when it's how i feed the family so it's nice to have choices and as I see it Leica is making tools that are much different than the most of the herd is cranking out today.

I have full control of mine too, with the bonus of all the modern aids to pick and choose from as needed or turned off if not. My favourite is seeing the exposure and WB in the viewfinder before I shoot. As well as having the shutter and ISO dials on the top of the camera & the aperture on the lens.

Just because the camera has a feature doesn't mean I have to use it.

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Gear List (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)About Capture One (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,321 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by airfrogusmc.

Feb 05, 2018 17:50 |  #135

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18557088 (external link)
You keep saying this like Leica is the only company with a unique camera... gimmie a break.

If you want a full frame camera with IBS and high resolution, where can you go but to Sony? If you want a tactile camera with full physical dials and a hybrid EVF/OVF, where can you go but to Fuji? If you want a really small and full featured lens lineup ILC where can you go but m4/3?

Leica is certainly unique, but to call all other brands part of a "heard" all doing the same thing is laughably inaccurate.

I'm not saying that but name one other company making a B&W digital rangefinder camera? Name one other company making a camera without any automation and not even having an LCD screen so there's your break. Most of the other brands 135 and crop mirrorless and DSLR are mostly all auto and are not that different from one another as far as features.

sponsored links

15,623 views & 118 likes for this thread
Switching from DSLR to mirrorless
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.