Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Jan 2018 (Monday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70-200mm lens for portrait work

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,750 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 05, 2018 18:33 |  #16

Wilt wrote in post #18552467 (external link)
http://stepheneastwood​.com …/lensdistortion​/index.htm (external link)

But I do NOT like her photo taken with 230m or 350mm more than I like her photo taken with 100mm or 135mm!

that's subjective.

I do think the 350 looks the best, but then again, that's my opinion ;-)a

I do recall a blind test where FL wasnt mentioned, and consistently, 200 looked better than 135 and 85. And of course there's the model factor, professional models tend to look better with longest FL, but dont look bad with short either.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,346 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Feb 05, 2018 18:40 |  #17

Charlie wrote in post #18557211 (external link)
that's subjective.

I do think the 350 looks the best, but then again, that's my opinion ;-)a

I do recall a blind test where FL wasnt mentioned, and consistently, 200 looked better than 135 and 85. And of course there's the model factor, professional models tend to look better with longest FL, but dont look bad with short either.

Yes it is indeed subjective.
We are not familar with their usual appearance, we only know what looks good to us as individuals.
But the portrait shooting photographer for paying clients needs to remember it is not what WE THINK is a pleasing photo, it is the SUBJECT or the subject's MOTHER who chooses the photo that pleases them!
That is why I find it so perplexing when photographers want razor-thin DOF and I anticipate the subject's reaction is 'why is the photo blurry?'

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,962 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by RPCrowe. (2 edits in all)

Feb 09, 2018 18:38 |  #18

I am very satisfied with the results from my 70-200mm f/4L IS lens on either a full frame camera or a 1.6x crop camera. I don't like the razor thin DOF in which the eyelashes can be in focus with the pupils OOF.

I most often shoot at f/5.6 with focal lengths all over the range from 70mm to 200mm on both full frame and crop cameras, depending on my subject or subjects. Using a longer focal length allows background blur even at f/5.6.

The 70-200mm f/4L IS lens is relatively light weight and fast focusing (which may at times be an advantage). The extra price of this lens vs the non-IS is (IMO) well worth it. An additional plus is that the rounded iris blades provide very smooth and buttery bokeh. The price of this lens (in comparison with other top-line glass) isn't too bad either...

It is my go-to long focal length lens...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,356 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 09, 2018 20:14 |  #19

70-200 is superlative for portrait work. Able to manage full body to head and shoulders with one lens, and typically f/2.8 is plenty fast. Faster than f/2.8 in portraiture is specialty really, as it will leave parts of the subject blurry as well unless the framing is loose and kind of non-typical for portraits.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,259 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 09, 2018 20:42 |  #20

If it's just head and shoulders (to mid torso) in a studio setting, then I'll use my 100mm or 135mm primes. I still use the 70-200mm often, for any outdoor work: be it portraits, sports, or landscapes.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,194 views & 6 likes for this thread
70-200mm lens for portrait work
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.