Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 05 Feb 2018 (Monday) 13:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best budget studio strobes

Nick ­ Aufiero
459 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2013

Feb 05, 2018 13:50 |  #1

I moved away from studio work a while back but I am now getting back into it since I will be doing a lot of professional headshot’s for people. I have a flashpoint system that I take out and about but I wanted something stronger than a speed light. So I was thinking about picking up 2 to 3 studio strobes with modifiers. I have about $1000 budget right this second but I could wait a little bit and put this budget up to about 2000. I don’t need to use these outside at any time. This will strictly be indoorsYou said I will always have access to a electrical outlet.
As far as modifiers go I really only need two octaboxes

I was thinking about alien bee but was hoping to find something a little bit cheaper.
Why do you need reliability though so if it’s hard to find that in gear cheaper than that then I will just probably get some flashpoint stuff since I already have the transmitter and one speed light for it

My site is www.NickAufiero.com (external link)

sponsored links
bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited 6 months ago by bigVinnie.

Feb 05, 2018 14:55 |  #2

Since you mentioned flashpoint, these are on sale right now $429 https://www.adorama.co​m/fplfrp600b.html (external link)
It is the Godox QTII series. Excellent light.

If the whole remote control thing is not needed I can recommend these from Adorama: https://www.adorama.co​m/fp1220.html (external link)
These are Mettle 600AD. Adorama uses their own modifier mount. Mettle uses Bowens.

I've had the Mettle ones for years. Rock solid but don't buy the battery packs. Junk.

I use Alien Bees for my photobooths. Only reason is because of size and weight. I much prefer the Mettle's for everything else.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

Nick ­ Aufiero
THREAD ­ STARTER
459 posts
Joined May 2013

Feb 05, 2018 15:49 as a reply to  @ bigVinnie's post |  #3

I wouldn't mind two of those flashpoints since I already use flashpoint speedlight and transmitter

how would I fire the fp1220 ? just buy generic triggers like alien bee and plug them in?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,003 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 05, 2018 18:17 |  #4

If you are always going to be indoors I would look for used alien bees or white lightning strobes from paul buff.

Nick ­ Aufiero
THREAD ­ STARTER
459 posts
Joined May 2013

Feb 05, 2018 18:19 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #5

Thanks for the advice guys but I actually just picked up some 400 W second flash points that were on sale for 119 apiece. They also work with the same transmitter I already have for my speed light. So I’m gonna give this a whirl and if they are not enough I may just go with the alien bees that I know are good. Thanks again

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 06, 2018 00:16 |  #6

I was looking at those as well. Didn't see any info on a search here. Those are the Godox SK400II lights.

Please post a review here when you get them. Especially compared to the Bees.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

Nick ­ Aufiero
THREAD ­ STARTER
459 posts
Joined May 2013

Feb 06, 2018 09:52 as a reply to  @ bigVinnie's post |  #7

100% will be doing gear reviews for all of my stuff so I will be sure to shoot you a message with the youtube link!

sponsored links

1,279 views & 2 likes for this thread
Best budget studio strobes
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.