Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 08:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D mark II...Did we make a mistake?

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 06, 2018 13:35 |  #166

Iphones used to be perceived as innovative due to their marketing, hence the hype, but even then everything they were famed for being 'innovative' for were ideas already in the marketplace that Steve Jobs happily ripped off ( read his autobiography ), but these days, that shine has gone no matter how hard the marketing, so no queues o/s Apple stores on new releases anymore, although I think there were some in the USA? The fact is they're good phones, but they're not the best by lots of measures, yet they charge the most money, and have the worst warranty, so no, not the best phones.....

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

sponsored links
welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by welshwizard1971.

Feb 06, 2018 13:56 |  #167

Sorry you're missing my point, those are all good reasons for buying an Iphone, as they are for buying a 6d II. The point I'm not getting over well well is that people are picking on this camera, when essentially there's nothing wrong with it, whilst at the same time many by the law of averages will have an iphone in their pocket as it's so popular. So in that scenario, the same derogatory arguments could easily be made about the iphone ( for example Google Pixel or the Samsungs have better reviewed cameras ) yet when it came to the iphone it wasn't an issue, despite it being the most expensive, them being a photographer and presumably caring about this sort of thing, they bought it anyway. But for some reason, slightly worse DR on the 6D II despite the raft of other improvements and their never having actually used the camera is the end of the world and they're going to boycott Canon as a result?? There are loads of improvements on this camera, real world improvements that would benefit 99% of users on a daily basis, the 1% who could possibly be affected by the slightly worse DR, I bet they can't even tell the difference....

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18557814 (external link)
Really?

I don't have an iPhone, but I thought that they were the best smartphones made today.

But you not only say that they are not the best, but that they are clearly not the best. . So I guess that based on that, they are way way way behind some other type of phone?

Yet even if they are not the best phone, if I were to buy a smartphone, I would buy an iPhone. . Why? . Because they are so commonly used. . This means that any time I am "stuck" and can't figure out how to use it for something, there will be a YouTube tutorial that walks me through whatever it is that I need help with. . And because iPhones are so common, there are lots and lots of apps that are made for them, and they are compatible with so many things. . And whenever I am amongst a bunch of people, someone will invariably have an iPhone, and be able to help me when I am confused about how to use mine.

Technology always utterly confuses me, so these points are actually my #1 consideration when selecting a new product. . First and foremost, I need to choose a brand / product that people can help me with. . That trumps every other factor. . Having something that is the "best" at doing stuff will be of no use to me, because I will never be able to figure out how to use any of those awesome features unless millions and millions of other people are also using them and can help me learn to use them, too.

These are the very same reasons that I went with Canon when I bought photography gear. . I wanted the most commonly owned DSLR brand, so that I would always be able to get help whenever I needed it. . Also, almost all of my photography buddies use Canon, so their lenses and accessories are compatible with mine. . We always switch and swap our gear when shooting together, and we help each other out when we need to go through the custom functions to change some obscure setting or something. . I couldn't do that if I had some other brand.

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

Mathmans
267 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by Mathmans.

Feb 06, 2018 14:06 as a reply to  @ post 18557765 |  #168

Canon also does not need to worry about buyers.
Like I said; average shooters don't know and fanboys don't care and Canon is making profit.
Perfectly fine by me.
It's not about the camera and sensor. It's about principle.
I hope they'll put 5D clasic sensor in 6DIII and D20 sensor in 7DIII.
I would like to see how far they can go before....
Same about Leica. They can put out whatever they want and rich fanboys will buy because it's Leica.
Hehe; funny world.
By the way; I don't care. I'm just amused - pleasurably entertained if I may say.

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited over 1 year ago by DaviSto.

Feb 06, 2018 14:11 |  #169

Mathmans wrote in post #18557867 (external link)
Canon also does not need to worry about buyers.
Like I said; average shooters don't know and fanboys don't care and Canon is making profit.
Perfectly fine by me.
It's not about the camera and sensor. It's about principle.
I hope they'll put 5D clasic sensor in 6DIII and D20 sensor in 7DIII.
I would like to see how far they can go before....
Same about Leica. They can put out whatever they want and rich fanboys will buy because it's Leica.
Hehe; funny world.
By the way; I don't care. I'm just amused - pleasurably entertained if I can say.

I don't think there's any call to use the term 'fanboy'.

It's highly derogatory whatever the brand of the supposed fan. People who adhere to a system in which they are deeply financially and personally invested do not deserve such a dismissive description. You should wind your neck in!

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

PJJ205
313 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Feb 06, 2018 14:16 as a reply to  @ Mathmans's post |  #170

I’m confused... are you saying that you’re a professional or above-average photographer so the 6DII isn’t good enough to match your skill set or are you saying that anyone that is above average won’t use a 6DII? Something tells me that there are a ton of above average photographers out there shooting incredible photos with their 6DIIs.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,890 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 06, 2018 14:21 |  #171

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18557857 (external link)
Sorry you're missing my point . . .

The point I'm not getting over well well is that people are picking on this camera, when essentially there's nothing wrong with it, whilst at the same time many by the law of averages will have an iphone in their pocket as it's so popular.

I didn't miss your point - I think you made the point clearly enough.

I was just interested in the other stuff you said, more than I was interested in your intended point. . So I decided to go tangential on you and discuss something other than the point that you made. . I did this because the cell phone reference is something that hits home at this time, because I am currently looking into buying a cell phone.

By the way, I sent you a PM asking some questions about cell phones, because you seem to have some info on them that I could really use.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 06, 2018 15:09 |  #172

Replied :)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,627 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by davesrose.

Feb 06, 2018 15:15 |  #173

Cell phones are like camera brands. There is no "best" one cell phone camera. Go over to DXOmark's cell phone reviews, and you'll see the latest Google, iPhone, and Huawei cameras are the top rated phone cameras. I have an iPhone, and while other brands might have a better spec at this or that with the sensor, one advantage plus model iPhones have had are a seperate telephoto camera module (the Pixel 2, while having some better sensor specs, does not have optical zoom). I find that cell phones still don't take the place of a larger sensor camera when it comes to dim indoor light. One other feature of iPhone's own camera app is "live photos": there have been certain pictures that look neat as little clips.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

RodS57
791 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 06, 2018 17:26 |  #174

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18557814 (external link)
Really?

I don't have an iPhone, but I thought that they were the best smartphones made today.

But you not only say that they are not the best, but that they are clearly not the best. . So I guess that based on that, they are way way way behind some other type of phone?

Yet even if they are not the best phone, if I were to buy a smartphone, I would buy an iPhone. . Why? . Because they are so commonly used. . This means that any time I am "stuck" and can't figure out how to use it for something, there will be a YouTube tutorial that walks me through whatever it is that I need help with. . And because iPhones are so common, there are lots and lots of apps that are made for them, and they are compatible with so many things. . And whenever I am amongst a bunch of people, someone will invariably have an iPhone, and be able to help me when I am confused about how to use mine.

Technology always utterly confuses me, so these points are actually my #1 consideration when selecting a new product. . First and foremost, I need to choose a brand / product that people can help me with. . That trumps every other factor. . Having something that is the "best" at doing stuff will be of no use to me, because I will never be able to figure out how to use any of those awesome features unless millions and millions of other people are also using them and can help me learn to use them, too.

These are the very same reasons that I went with Canon when I bought photography gear. . I wanted the most commonly owned DSLR brand, so that I would always be able to get help whenever I needed it. . Also, almost all of my photography buddies use Canon, so their lenses and accessories are compatible with mine. . We always switch and swap our gear when shooting together, and we help each other out when we need to go through the custom functions to change some obscure setting or something. . I couldn't do that if I had some other brand.

Sounds complicated. I bought first canon dslr because that is what the store had in stock. It could have been Sony or Nikon or ... Coming from 35mm film to a number of point and shoot models I wanted to get back to more of an slr style of body and feel. Megapixels and DR didn't enter into the equation.

Ok, back to the 6D2, I hear it's a wonderful camera. (-:

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

RodS57
791 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 06, 2018 17:33 |  #175

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18557836 (external link)
Iphones used to be perceived as innovative due to their marketing, hence the hype, but even then everything they were famed for being 'innovative' for were ideas already in the marketplace that Steve Jobs happily ripped off ( read his autobiography ), but these days, that shine has gone no matter how hard the marketing, so no queues o/s Apple stores on new releases anymore, although I think there were some in the USA? The fact is they're good phones, but they're not the best by lots of measures, yet they charge the most money, and have the worst warranty, so no, not the best phones.....

Minor adjustment and I quote

"everything they were famed for being 'innovative' for were ideas already in the marketplace that Bill Gates happily ripped off"

But it is not only them and that is why some fords look like chevs and vice versa.

Hehehe

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

Cham_001
879 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 06, 2018 17:46 |  #176

I haven't read all the Forum Posts just yet!

The OP has only found 1 negative article 'denouncing' this camera.
As we are all too aware, many magazines 'favour' specific camera brands/manufacturers.
For everything there are both Protagonists & Antagonists.
Let the images (your own photos speak for themselves, compare your FF image with a 5D111)
using the same focal length lens and then complain if applicable!

I really can't imagine that these 6Dii cameras are so bad!

(now back to reading all these brief Posts in this Thread)

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,546 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 06, 2018 18:06 |  #177

While iPhone may not be the best every way, they are arguably the best package. FaceTime, family sharing, and a few other features, iOS simply does better. Android has better multitasking, maps, voice commands, keyboard is amazing, but you need to pick your priorities. FaceTime/ iMessage alone is enough to push me to iOS. All my kids have a device and can individually communicate with me.

Since Apple went to 64 bit architecture way before anyone else, they have better hardware and software integration than competitors. Latest iPhones are consistently highest performing smartphones on the market.

Android phones are better values more often, however best value doesn’t mean most desirable.

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18557765 (external link)
Wonder how many people criticising the 6d II have an iPhone? Clearly not the best in the market, clearly the most expensive, but bought anyway, presumably because they like/know/trust the brand and have already bought into the ecosystem, ring any bells?

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

davesrose
3,627 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by davesrose. (2 edits in all)

Feb 06, 2018 18:56 |  #178

Charlie wrote in post #18558054 (external link)
Since Apple went to 64 bit architecture way before anyone else, they have better hardware and software integration than competitors.

Cray came out with the first 64 bit Unix OS in 1985. Windows XP 64 bit (first for Itanium architecture) came out 4 years before Apple's OS X full 64 bit implementation (as well as some Linux implementations). Windows XP for x86 came out 2 years before Apple's OS X full 64bit implementation.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,546 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 06, 2018 19:33 |  #179

davesrose wrote in post #18558094 (external link)
Cray came out with the first 64 bit Unix OS in 1985. Windows XP 64 bit (first for Itanium architecture) came out 4 years before Apple's OS X full 64 bit implementation (as well as some Linux implementations). Windows XP for x86 came out 2 years before Apple's OS X full 64bit implementation.

for smart phones...

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

davesrose
3,627 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by davesrose.

Feb 06, 2018 19:43 as a reply to  @ Charlie's post |  #180

OK, but "way before" is also subjective for the smartphone market too. Android's 64 bit implementation came out a year after Apple's (1 generation granted, but Android's implementation had to cover 3 different processor architectures).

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

24,581 views & 248 likes for this thread
6D mark II...Did we make a mistake?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.