Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 15 Jan 2018 (Monday) 12:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tripod Advice - indoor macro + studio photography (overwhelmed with choices)

producerism
331 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 7 months ago by producerism.

Jan 15, 2018 12:57 |  #1

First off, I've searched through threads in this forum for other people asking for similar advice. And based on what I've read so far, it seems that the suggestion right for me would be a Sirui 2204X and K-30x ball head. The issue is that I'm not really sure why these would be right for me, aside from seeing them come up the most often in advice to other posters.

I've got a 70D with a grip, and 100mm macro/canon24-105L as the biggest/heaviest lenses.

Primary use case will be doing indoor product shots and macro shots (stationary objects).

It seems that the K-30x is recommended because of the weight of the camera/grip/lens. However I'm less sure about the 2204x. There's also a non-x model (the 2204) which is slightly more expensive on various retailers - but I couldn't find any info on 2204 vs 2204x. Also read some people comparing "spike" vs "non-spike" version of the tripods, but not sure what model that is.

The 2204x is $310, and the k-30x is around $135. That's just under $500 for both - if there's a better option within the same or smaller price range for me needs, I'd love to know more about recommended options.

I will NOT be bringing it on mountain hikes or into marshes or anything. The most "outdoors" I think it would ever get used, would be on slightly uneven grass/gravel to get landscape shots or the occasional outdoor portrait. Point being, the weight and ability to setup on uneven terrain are not major concerns.

p.s. the last tripod I had was a ~$60 aluminum knockoff that looks similar to what "AmazonBasics 60in tripod" now sells for ~$30. It broke and honestly was never very good - would tip over with my 70d+grip+lens all the time.

30d | kitLens | sigma10-20 | canon24-105L
canon100mm USM Macro | canon50mm 1.4

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,070 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 6 months ago by John from PA.

Jan 22, 2018 08:51 |  #2

The B&H deal of the day (22 January) may be of interest.

It is the Benro FIF19CIB0 Carbon Fiber Transfunctional iFoto Series 1 Tripod Kit which is normally $334 but reduced to $169 for today's deal.

See https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …1_carbon_fiber_​ifoto.html (external link) for the details.

[Edit] I see there is also a 2nd option with a 31# capacity, normally $379 but $199 for a savings of $180. The link for that is https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …2_carbon_fiber_​ifoto.html (external link). That would probably hold the 100-400mm plus body with ease.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,889 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 22, 2018 19:27 |  #3

Given that you want a tripod for macro (rigidity is VERY important) and you don't want to carry it anywhere far I would suggest looking out for a used Studio Tripod.
The Manfrotto studio tripods can often be found pretty cheap used - yes they weigh a ton - but who cares for your needs? They are not as rigid (damp down vibration) as a large Gitzo - but they are much cheaper:-)

Even new they are not stupid money: https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …essional_Tripod​_Legs.html (external link)

Not saying it is ideal - but well worth a look!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

producerism
THREAD ­ STARTER
331 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 06, 2018 09:54 |  #4

Thanks for the advice. I was really close to getting a used manfrotto as suggested, but went to a friends house who pretty much sold me on a Vanguard Alta Pro for macro work. I'll probably start with that and the included ball head, since it's hard to beat the price. This is considerably less than I was originally planning to spend - but I also feel like after seeing the Alta Pro in action, it was exactly what I wanted. They were using a Sirui 20x ballhead, which I think is probably way overkill for my 70d + 100mm macro lens.

I can certainly be persuaded to look at other options still. It's really hard comparing without being able to touch and use them in person. I might try going to a few family owned camera shops in town for a better idea.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,346 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 06, 2018 10:33 |  #5

producerism wrote:
the last tripod I had was a ~$60 aluminum knockoff that looks similar to what "AmazonBasics 60in tripod" now sells for ~$30. It broke and honestly was never very good - would tip over with my 70d+grip+lens all the time.

producerism wrote in post #18557637 (external link)
went to a friends house who pretty much sold me on a Vanguard Alta Pro for macro work. I'll probably start with that and the included ball head, since it's hard to beat the price. ...

I can certainly be persuaded to look at other options still. It's really hard comparing without being able to touch and use them in person. I might try going to a few family owned camera shops in town for a better idea.

From the amazon.com listing, it seems to have a good combination of features.

While it is good that you had a chance to handle your friend's Vanguard to get an initial impression
Did you verify that you can remove the head and replace it with a higher quality head of your choice?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

producerism
THREAD ­ STARTER
331 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 6 months ago by producerism.

Feb 06, 2018 13:41 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #6

I didn't confirm that in person (they didn't have a different head) however I've seen a number of video reviews and forum posts of people that are using it in conjunction with a Sirui 10x-30x. Most of the negative reviews were from people that were using 70-200 glass, which I can understand.

I am interested in getting a replacement head for it eventually - perhaps the Sirui 20x/30x... although for macro work if the stacking becomes an issue, a Manfrotto geared head might be next instead. Either way, the included ball head from Vanguard is only ~$30 extra with the kit, so it won't sting too bad if I have to replace it in the near future.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,346 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 06, 2018 15:38 |  #7

producerism wrote in post #18557843 (external link)
I didn't confirm that in person (they didn't have a different head) however I've seen a number of video reviews and forum posts of people that are using it in conjunction with a Sirui 10x-30x. Most of the negative reviews were from people that were using 70-200 glass, which I can understand.

I am interested in getting a replacement head for it eventually - perhaps the Sirui 20x/30x... although for macro work if the stacking becomes an issue, a Manfrotto geared head might be next instead. Either way, the included ball head from Vanguard is only ~$30 extra with the kit, so it won't sting too bad if I have to replace it in the near future.

In doing just a bit of research into Vanguard, I noticed that the head model that was associated with the tripod (per one web site) was not listed among the separate tripod heads offered by Vanguard. So that got me to wondering if perhaps it was integrated into a center column in a way which did not permit substitution of a different head at a later time...over the years I have seen that some tripod models are like that!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,889 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 06, 2018 18:24 |  #8

Did a very quick search on the Vanguard Alta Pro range and it looks like they are all compatible with other makes of head - but check first naturally!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

802 views & 1 like for this thread
Tripod Advice - indoor macro + studio photography (overwhelmed with choices)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.