Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 08:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D mark II...Did we make a mistake?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,358 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 06, 2018 20:24 |  #181

Charlie wrote in post #18558054 (external link)
. FaceTime/ iMessage alone is enough to push me to iOS. All my kids have a device and can individually communicate with me.

? Facetime app runs on Android, so how is Facetime on iOS a specific reason to go with Apple phone?

Keeping up with friends is faster and easier than ever. Share updates and photos, engage with friends and Pages, and stay connected to communities important to you.

Features on the Android Facebook app include:

* Connect with friends and family and meet new people on your social media network
* Set status updates & use Facebook emoji to help relay what’s going on in your world
* Share photos, videos, and your favorite memories.
* Get notifications when friends like and comment on your posts
* Find local social events, and make plans to meet up with friends
* Play games with any of your Facebook friends
* Backup photos by saving them in albums
* Follow your favorite artists, websites, and companies to get their latest news
* Look up local businesses to see reviews, operation hours, and pictures
* Buy and sell items and services
* Watch live videos on the go

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,627 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by davesrose.

Feb 06, 2018 20:44 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #182

FaceTime is not Facebook. FaceTime is a proprietary video telephony application specific to Apple devices. I've mainly used it to contact relatives in Europe, who use the iPad (and me, my iPhone). It's also nice if you're in an area where you can't find cell reception, but have wi-fi access. Another small feature I like about texting other iPhone users is knowing when they've gotten my text and when they're typing.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,542 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 06, 2018 21:53 |  #183

Wilt wrote in post #18558144 (external link)
? Facetime app runs on Android, so how is Facetime on iOS a specific reason to go with Apple phone?

Keeping up with friends is faster and easier than ever. Share updates and photos, engage with friends and Pages, and stay connected to communities important to you.

Features on the Android Facebook app include:

* Connect with friends and family and meet new people on your social media network
* Set status updates & use Facebook emoji to help relay what’s going on in your world
* Share photos, videos, and your favorite memories.
* Get notifications when friends like and comment on your posts
* Find local social events, and make plans to meet up with friends
* Play games with any of your Facebook friends
* Backup photos by saving them in albums
* Follow your favorite artists, websites, and companies to get their latest news
* Look up local businesses to see reviews, operation hours, and pictures
* Buy and sell items and services
* Watch live videos on the go

Facebook!=FaceTime

Seem less integration with sms, google tried this and fell on their face IMO.

Family sharing and find my iPhone is much better than nothing and device manager.

FaceTime means not needing to make international calls and no need for a FB account or crappy FB messenger app.

There are plenty of folks too old or too young or don’t care for FB but have access to FaceTime.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,665 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 06, 2018 22:30 |  #184

Charlie wrote in post #18558180 (external link)
Facebook!=FaceTime

Seem less integration with sms, google tried this and fell on their face IMO.

Family sharing and find my iPhone is much better than nothing and device manager.

FaceTime means not needing to make international calls and no need for a FB account or crappy FB messenger app.

There are plenty of folks too old or too young or don’t care for FB but have access to FaceTime.

There are other apps similar to FaceTime, and because they run on any OS, Android or Apple, they are more universal and popular than FaceTime. Probably the most known is What’Up that I use for keeping in touch with friends and family around the world.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

Charlie
15,542 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 06, 2018 23:16 |  #185

Lbsimon wrote in post #18558211 (external link)
There are other apps similar to FaceTime, and because they run on any OS, Android or Apple, they are more universal and popular than FaceTime. Probably the most known is What’Up that I use for keeping in touch with friends and family around the world.

sorry, more popular? I dont think so. Facetime is on every single ios device. I know many folks that use Viber because it's really similar to imessenger/facetime and integrates well with phone numbers.... but if you dont have a phone number/service, that's where Facetime has it beat.

I'm going on a limb to say that FaceTime is more popular than all other video chat apps combined.

Anyone that has an Iphone/Ipad has used it, it comes with the OS. What android fails in this regard is having a well built integrated video chat/message system. They have too much segmentation to make this happen currently, but over time, it should and could be solved. The segmentation of android is a big issue that keeps them behind, apple updates OTA came after android, yet they now do it much better...

and lets talk about guided access, and the lack of it on android.... I cant even hand off my phone to my toddler, she'll turn it off, but with my iphone, it's flawless. I mean, I miss split screen sharing a video for the toddler and browsing on the other side, but I have spare devices.

I understand the apple premium you have to pay, but it's not all hype. There's certainly some value to it. With imac's it's a bit more frivolous, but for phone and tablets, apple competes well. They practically own the tablet market.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Wilt
41,358 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Feb 06, 2018 23:25 |  #186

:oops: doh, why did I type 'Facebook' when the post by Charlie said 'FaceTime'? :oops:

While Apple offers FaceTime, I just read that there are ten equivalent app for video calling for Android. In fact, my wife has Hangouts on her phone, to permit video calls to the daughter in CO.

While FaceTime is only within the Apple-owning universe, Hangouts is cross platform as long as you have gmail.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Mathmans
267 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 07, 2018 02:38 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #187

What's all about angry Iphone 6 users? Something about slowing down without informing users?
Is there something wrong with the phones so they must cut down the performance?
My LG G3 is older model then Iphone but still going full power and doesn't need to be slowed down.
The only thing that bothers me is the fact that more and more companies act like we users are ignorant sheeps so they just do something without informing us. If Iphone 6 battery is so crapy they could inform the users and offer a replacement – I mean, BEFORE this 'secret cutting power affair'.

About 6DII…. No, I don't think it's a bad camera. And yes; if I had it, it would serve me well. 6DII is fine camera in ABSOLUTE sense. But it's not so good in RELATIVE sense if we compare the performance to other old cameras, which are on the market for 3 or 4 years. So Canon is putting out old technology with ''new technology price'' and nobody cares.

The same goes for Nikon. I was about to upgrade my old camera but what they did? They put out D7500 with D500 sensor BUT…. They removed the connector to attach the grip (so NO grip). It stil has the same 10 years old D300 focusing system. They are putting this old focusing system in new cameras like they are unable to make something new. They also removed one card slot. My old camera has two card slots. But the price for this camera is very ''modern'' (I mean high) for what it gives. So, no thanks for crippled ''new'' technology.
The same goes for D600 and D610 – a crippled full frame cameras with shitty focus and cut down performance.

This is what bothers me. They can cripple cameras and put in old parts and they allways get away with it. Folks still buy and they are making profit.
So someone must say something somewhere and I support all those reviewers who wrote 6DII is bad camera and D7500 is bad crippled camera for lots of money.
Buyers must be informed. If not, one day they might put 5D classic sensor in 5D mark V and nobody will care.
Criticism is one of the thing that makes things better. We must be critical.

By fanboys I don't mean all of you Canon users. By fanboys I mean those blind believers who doesn't think with their own heads and defend everything Canon or Nikon puts out. Some of them are payed by company (I understand them) and the others are just blind fanatics (I don't understand them).

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

Charlie
15,542 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 07, 2018 04:56 |  #188

Wilt wrote in post #18558234 (external link)
:oops: doh, why did I type 'Facebook' when the post by Charlie said 'FaceTime'? :oops:

While Apple offers FaceTime, I just read that there are ten equivalent app for video calling for Android. In fact, my wife has Hangouts on her phone, to permit video calls to the daughter in CO.

hangouts is quite possibly the worst messenger app in existence. Nobody uses it, so claiming cross platform as a selling point means nothing.

Hangouts is so sad, it’s cooked in the OS and Facebook messenger is way more popular. Nobody using iOS will put up with that garbage. It’s like hanging on to MySpace as relevant social media platform.....

You’ll have to consider that there are way too many non tech savvy folks that won’t know how to work messenger apps, and have no issue using FaceTime. Don’t underestimate apple’s brilliance here, they have a wonderful communications solution that could only work with the tightest integration for their devices, and they did an amazing job with it. There are products that come close, but close often doesn’t cut it.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,579 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (5 edits in all)

Feb 07, 2018 06:20 |  #189

Strange... we went from "6DII, mistake?" to "iPhones, mistake?" I just checked back into this thread after ignoring it for a week and this is what I see. Forums are funny places! :D Never a dull moment...

To add to the derailment, I was forced to go to an iphone 6s from a Samsung s7. Terrible phone for me and how I work, and the interface, although leading edge a decade ago, is dated and cumbersome. I am now less efficient on the iphone than on the samsung, more clicks, swipes, slow scrolling, lack of dashboard widgets, etc. I used to use my phone for everything, now I dislike it. Barring a few good apps, the overall experience is lacking.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

eddieb1
837 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Feb 07, 2018 07:50 |  #190

Well, I guess it's settled. Great photographs can't be made unless you're using the current latest and greatest. :p

Wilt
41,358 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.

Feb 07, 2018 08:19 |  #191

eddieb1 wrote in post #18558400 (external link)
Well, I guess it's settled. Great photographs can't be made unless you're using the current latest and greatest. :p

Yeah that 10 MP crap cannot make a decent noise free image, and the overall IQ isn't worth a sh*t!

:p

Wilt
41,358 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (17 edits in all)

Feb 07, 2018 08:26 |  #192

Charlie wrote in post #18558351 (external link)
hangouts is quite possibly the worst messenger app in existence. Nobody uses it, so claiming cross platform as a selling point means nothing.

Hangouts is so sad, it’s cooked in the OS and Facebook messenger is way more popular. Nobody using iOS will put up with that garbage. It’s like hanging on to MySpace as relevant social media platform.....

You’ll have to consider that there are way too many non tech savvy folks that won’t know how to work messenger apps, and have no issue using FaceTime. Don’t underestimate apple’s brilliance here, they have a wonderful communications solution that could only work with the tightest integration for their devices, and they did an amazing job with it. There are products that come close, but close often doesn’t cut it.

You must have drank a lot of swamp water; that can be cured via medicines to get rid of unpleasant indwellers.

The 'worst messenger app' is rated with a higher score than your Chosen One,
https://comparisons.fi​nancesonline.com/facet​ime-vs-google-hangouts (external link)

and the so-called 'baked in' app has to be first installed or your Android phone cannot use it, and it runs across multiple platforms (which FaceTime runs on none outside the Apple solar system) which makes it impossible for Hangouts to be 'baked in' them too...in fact Google phones (on which it is embedded) indeed is an O/S on less than 1% of smartphones

Features content drives complexity...

"Skype and Hangouts, by contrast, have a lot more features. ... the user interface is a lot more cluttered and complex, especially if all you want to do is start a video chat. On the other hand, Hangouts and Skype are both a lot more versatile than Duo or Facetime, allowing you to do more during chats."

http://www.cloudpro.co​.uk …le-hangouts-vs-google-duo (external link)

"If you’re familiar with other Google products, Hangouts is intuitive to pick up."
https://digitalcommuni​cations.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk …etime-vs-google-hangouts/ (external link)

And which one you want is dependent upon what you are trying to do with it

"FaceTime: FaceTime is limited to one-on-one conversations, and is the biggest downside to FaceTime.
Google Hangouts also has capability of calling multiple people at once, and is branded as such."

I have no vested interest in one vs. the other. While my wife has Hangouts loaded on her Android phone, neither she nor I selected it. Our son-in-law loaded it for her ..because it permits my wife to video call with her FOUR daughters in the same call (which FaceTime cannot do)

"Verdict
Which video call client you will get the most use of depends on your individual needs and preferences.
They all have their strengths and weaknesses and it’s best to have all three readily accessible if you’re looking to use video calling regularly in an office environment."
...Like cameras! (trying to bring this thread back on topic)

Charlie
15,542 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 07, 2018 09:06 |  #193

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18558381 (external link)
Strange... we went from "6DII, mistake?" to "iPhones, mistake?" I just checked back into this thread after ignoring it for a week and this is what I see. Forums are funny places! :D Never a dull moment...

To add to the derailment, I was forced to go to an iphone 6s from a Samsung s7. Terrible phone for me and how I work, and the interface, although leading edge a decade ago, is dated and cumbersome. I am now less efficient on the iphone than on the samsung, more clicks, swipes, slow scrolling, lack of dashboard widgets, etc. I used to use my phone for everything, now I dislike it. Barring a few good apps, the overall experience is lacking.

on a personal level, I'de tend to agree, the interface of apple is just so behind, I was using a nexus 6P, so I always had the latest updates. I had to get rid of mail, it just wasnt as good as Gmail app. I want to get rid of the keyboard and switch to GKeyboard of android, but just works poorly on iphone. Widgets mean that my shopping list is viewable without any clicks as well as my calendar, which I also tend to load, I cant remember dates very well. It's annoying. Notifications bubbles on the iphone are nice, but non grouped notifications...... ugh, what a mess. Biometric reader generally trash on the iphone, too slow or not consistent, the dedicated reader on the 6P was magic, ultra fast.

on the flip side, many developers favor iOS. There are apps *like* photopills on android, I have some, but none match the real thing. Sony playmemories has been broken for months on android, but it works fine for iOS..... sony doesnt think much of android users :rolleyes: I still havent found a fast and easy way to transfer files from and 6P to PC, the connection keeps dying via USB. I have a super simple app on iOS, gives a simple web interface, go to the IP and transfer files..... duh, super simple to get my videos/photos from phone to phone or phone to pc.

Wilt wrote in post #18558416 (external link)
You must have drank a lot of swamp water; that can be cured via medicines to get rid of unpleasant indwellers.

The 'worst messenger app' is rated with a higher score than your Chosen One,
https://comparisons.fi​nancesonline.com/facet​ime-vs-google-hangouts (external link)

and the so-called 'baked in' app has to be first installed or your Android phone cannot use it, and it runs across multiple platforms (which FaceTime runs on none outside the Apple solar system) which makes it impossible for Hangouts to be 'baked in' them too...in fact Google phones (on which it is embedded) indeed is an O/S on less than 1% of smartphones

Features content drives complexity...

"Skype and Hangouts, by contrast, have a lot more features. ... the user interface is a lot more cluttered and complex, especially if all you want to do is start a video chat. On the other hand, Hangouts and Skype are both a lot more versatile than Duo or Facetime, allowing you to do more during chats."

http://www.cloudpro.co​.uk …le-hangouts-vs-google-duo (external link)

"If you’re familiar with other Google products, Hangouts is intuitive to pick up."
https://digitalcommuni​cations.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk …etime-vs-google-hangouts/ (external link)

And which one you want is dependent upon what you are trying to do with it

"FaceTime: FaceTime is limited to one-on-one conversations, and is the biggest downside to FaceTime.
Google Hangouts also has capability of calling multiple people at once, and is branded as such."

"Verdict
Which video call client you will get the most use of depends on your individual needs and preferences. They all have their strengths and weaknesses and it’s best to have all three readily accessible if you’re looking to use video calling regularly in an office environment."
...Like cameras! (bringing this back on topic)

sure, you can find a link to support your narrative, you can do that with anything.

why was google ready to buy whatsapp for 19B if hangouts was so great?

have you considered if google hangouts was so great, why did they suddenly come out with duo? Basically, google knows that hangouts is garbage and they are replacing it with Duo, all the commercials indicate that google wants to erase hangouts for good. That's right, hangouts is dead.

Having more features is nice, but if it's unstable and no user base, then it's trash. I'de rather have LESS features AND better integration, which facetime does a remarkable job with. You're seemlessly using the app because it's a baked in feature of the OS rather than a separate app.

skype, while an ok program is trash compared to facetime. They ruined so many updates, I've lost count of how poorly it's been. I use skype for business as well as my company chose them as a messenger service...... total crap, un-intuitive junk. And no, dont ever ask me to use skype as my default dialer, what a joke.

Wilt
41,358 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (8 edits in all)

Feb 07, 2018 09:26 as a reply to  @ Charlie's post |  #194

I need not defend my choice of gods, as I have no choice per se.
Over the decades, on three different occasions, I have gone to work at businesses that provided me with Apple stuff as desktop PC, so I am well acquainted with it.
"Nice, but..." applies to Apple AND Microsoft as a platform; you can rest easy I will never consciously choose the Eunuch's operating system.
You may get out from behind the cardboard shield with me, as I am not carrying a cardboard sword.

The Leica zealots and Apple zealots need not waste their time convincing me of choice of camera or choice of mobile phone. I have my selections and I like them as best for me.
And the Scientologists and Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses need not waste their time convincing me of their religion. I already have a moral way of life that needs no official religion.
As for the politicians, they can all go to Hell

:-)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,627 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by davesrose.

Feb 07, 2018 09:45 |  #195

I've had Android and iPhones, and they seem to have some differences and similarities with interface. One thing I liked about my LG G3 phone was being able to have a file manager and use it like a removable storage device. With iPhone, the default is to send files to the cloud: Apple is keeping things proprietary so you link to iTunes. While iOS is supposed to be simple, certain functions in Safari are not intuitive (like request desktop version). One main thing I like about my iPhone is battery life. If I use it heavily during a day, it may get down to 60%. My LG G3 would have already been depleted. I've heard from other friends that battery life with their current Samsung is one aspect they'd like seen better. I'm now in the Apple ecosystem for mobile and PC for computer stuff. I used to check web development compatibility with a desktop PC, Android phone, and Apple iPad. Now that I am fully in the Apple mobile ecosystem, I've gotten an Apple watch and do like the ability to use Siri, syncing with exercise apps, and getting notifications from BBC. I did have an Android watch, which was good at getting notifications, but wasn't as advanced in features.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

24,576 views & 248 likes for this thread
6D mark II...Did we make a mistake?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.