Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Feb 2018 (Monday) 20:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Online Scams (Be Careful)

PMGphotog
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 07, 2018 09:47 as a reply to  @ post 18558467 |  #31

Out of curiosity I double checked that 07802000332 is still the o2-UK message centre number and it appears it is ( for contract phones. )

"For all other O2 customers, including U, Easylife, Pay & Go™ Free Best Friend and all Pay Monthly tariffs, your message centre number is +447802000332. "

http://service.o2.co.u​k …r):str(Mobile),​CASE=12994 (external link)

Now, as far as I know based on when I used to work there, the only way for a text to appear on a recipient's phone as originating from that number is either via a spoofing system, or, someone at o2 is being a very naughty boy :)

I left them in 2014 but they were taken over by another company that tended to outsource lots of operations and don't have the greatest of reputations regarding internal security. All speculation of course...

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/ (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,064 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 5 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Feb 07, 2018 09:49 |  #32

Sideshot wrote in post #18558462 (external link)
Could be one of two things.

1- Random scammer text, hit your phone at just the right time.
2- . . . . .

I am leaning towards #1 . . . . .

But, Sideshot, if it is indeed #1, then how can you possibly explain the following?

Pagman wrote in post #18557739 (external link)
. . . . . if they had just been random cold call messages or calls . . . that would have been ok, but to have the details about the transactions; amount/seller name etc, that is the worrying part.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
I just hold the thing :-)
8,010 posts
Gallery: 1556 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 07, 2018 09:58 |  #33

PMGphotog wrote in post #18558476 (external link)
Out of curiosity I double checked that 07802000332 is still the o2-UK message centre number and it appears it is ( for contract phones. )

"For all other O2 customers, including U, Easylife, Pay & Go™ Free Best Friend and all Pay Monthly tariffs, your message centre number is +447802000332. "

http://service.o2.co.u​k …r):str(Mobile),​CASE=12994 (external link)

Now, as far as I know based on when I used to work there, the only way for a text to appear on a recipient's phone as originating from that number is either via a spoofing system, or, someone at o2 is being a very naughty boy :)

I left them in 2014 but they were taken over by another company that tended to outsource lots of operations and don't have the greatest of reputations regarding internal security. All speculation of course...

I assumed 44 and 0 before the number was just the difference between over seas or in the same country, it was showing as 44 I just assumed we take the 44 off and replace it with a 0.

P.

Some stuff.

PMGphotog
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 07, 2018 10:03 |  #34

Pagman wrote in post #18558481 (external link)
I assumed 44 and 0 before the number was just the difference between over seas or in the same country, it was showing as 44 I just assumed we take the 44 off and replace it with a 0.

P.

Yup, 044 is the international code for UK mobiles ( sometimes shows as +44 but it's the same thing ) so replacing it with a 0 is correct.

Main thing is though, someone is spoofing or using a number that is a message centre number and they somehow knew about the transactions you did on Paypal. Might have to get Inspector Morse, Sherlock Holmes and maybe even Taggart on the case ;)

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,393 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 07, 2018 10:57 |  #35

Maybe that is simply the number of the phone's service provider and not actually the real originator. Text came in for that phone and the provider repackaged it.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,010 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 07, 2018 11:06 |  #36

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18558528 (external link)
Maybe that is simply the number of the phone's service provider and not actually the real originator. Text came in for that phone and the provider repackaged it.

It was the originator, it was after the text message there was a six digit number to reply to them.

P.

Some stuff.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,010 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 07, 2018 11:18 |  #37

Just heard back from Paypal, they where not responsible for sending the text messages and are very pleased we brought it to thier attention, they have the number we gave them and are going to investigate it to see if they can find out who the scammers are.

It is still a worry how they could access our account, paypal said our account is 101% secure and safe, and everything is how it should be.

P.

Some stuff.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,010 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 07, 2018 11:36 |  #38

So - like I said in the opening post Everyone be Alert.

P.

Some stuff.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,274 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 07, 2018 11:47 |  #39

Can someone buy a forwarding service from O² so text MSG are sent with O² call centre number as the originator. Maybe PP or a scammer have done that. Has Pagman checked that out with PP and if so what was the reply? It's very concerning. I've never had PP txt me but then again I've not spent over £100 in any one transaction through them. How much was the transactions in total? I'm assuming as it's over a couple of thousand it could be standard for them to issue txt's for over a certain amount, or to ppl buying from sellers with a chequered history of no delivery. They want to be able to not have to pay out on that guarantee, which is understandable. Did the 2nd item arrive? And is it as advertisemed?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,010 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 07, 2018 12:37 |  #40

Colin Glover wrote in post #18558577 (external link)
Can someone buy a forwarding service from O² so text MSG are sent with O² call centre number as the originator. Maybe PP or a scammer have done that. Has Pagman checked that out with PP and if so what was the reply? It's very concerning. I've never had PP txt me but then again I've not spent over £100 in any one transaction through them. How much was the transactions in total? I'm assuming as it's over a couple of thousand it could be standard for them to issue txt's for over a certain amount, or to ppl buying from sellers with a chequered history of no delivery. They want to be able to not have to pay out on that guarantee, which is understandable. Did the 2nd item arrive? And is it as advertisemed?

Yep here is the purchase history - It was from a reputable shop selling in Ebay, I paid using paypal as I have done for several years withou issue, both camera item have arrived and are as I expected and paid for, everything was enjoyable and normal except for the text messages.
Ebay know nothing about it, paypal know nothing about it, and the phone has not had credit on it for a couple of years, its just a spare one that the wifes uses just for the radio on it, it has no internet acsess as it a real budget model.

So all is fine except for the information shown in those text messages, makes me feel like someone can snoop or intersect, my private activity.

P.

Some stuff.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,010 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 07, 2018 12:39 |  #41

Somewhere between Ebay and Paypal activity must have become visiible or detected.

P.

Some stuff.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
8,010 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 07, 2018 12:40 |  #42

As if during a transaction traveling through virtual space - someone has picked it up as If lifting from a cyber line somehow.

P.

Some stuff.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,274 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 08, 2018 07:09 |  #43

That stinks. Malware bytes is a must, but back up data first as you may need a reinstall of Windows.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,393 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed. (7 edits in all)

Feb 08, 2018 07:20 |  #44

Again, if you paid via paypal and within some number of hours, you received texts on your phone that you say you never logged or registered anywhere with the details of your payment transactions to the store, then you indeed registered that number somewhere at some point in your history. There is absolutely 1) no way somebody was able to pull your old number out of the internet or phone provider ether in that time and 2) have the specific details of your order and 3) especially with no way to gain financially from the texts if it was intended as a scam.

I know you say otherwise, however, I am in the IT business, security and all, own my own online store, and also do ecommerce on a daily basis. I have experience in this area, and if anyone is going to get hacked, it would be me as my info is EVERYWHERE, with 3 phones in our family, 10 tablets, and about 400 registered sites with our info.

Be careful, yes, but it simply isn't worth spending any more time on this particular incident. You are not out anything, and the phone isn't a gateway to ruin your financial foundation. If you are that worried, smash the phone and sim card, and start with a new one. Delete your paypal account completely, and make a new one with a new email address. Done....

I don't want to sound harsh, but being less than educated on how scams work means you are potentially even a bigger target. You need to know how and why these things work, so that you can recognize the signs. This simply doesn't match any of the known patterns, and also isn't logical as you are calling the situation out. The more you research and listen to others, the better prepared you will be in the future. Things like "never fund your paypal from your bank, but always use a CC behind it with good protection" and "create different email addresses for different online access, like one just for friends and family, one for forums, and one (or more) for online purchases". Also another big one, "never use the same password twice on any site or email account". These 3 tips will save you grief in the future. These are my 3 Golden Internet Rules.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

normware
44 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited 5 months ago by normware.

Feb 08, 2018 08:23 |  #45

Probably not PayPal or Ebay but rather the seller has been hacked or hijacked etc.
I have had several emails from friends whose email accounts have been hijacked.
So its quite possible the seller has been hijacked. The scammer has all the transaction details from paypal and ebay and then re-packages them.

How they got the phone number in which you say you never gave out. Probably through a look up of your name/address. They took the first number that your name /address came up with.

Canon 6D II - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art - Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C - Sigma 12-24mm f/4 DG HSM Art - Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD | Coming soon Rokinon 85MM with chip
Canon M5 - EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM - EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM
Luminar 2018 , Aurora HDR 2018, Creative Kit 2018

sponsored links

3,589 views & 20 likes for this thread
Online Scams (Be Careful)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.