Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Sep 2016 (Wednesday) 13:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 5D Mark IV owners unite! Post photos and discuss.

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,151 posts
Gallery: 512 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by MatthewK.

Feb 08, 2018 07:03 |  #4471

nqjudo wrote in post #18559180 (external link)
Yes, you can. 100% This is actually something in the Canon ecosystem that predates the 5D4. I have the same setup on my 7D2. Look on page 502 of the 5D4 user manual:

: Switch to registered AF function
Only while you hold down the depth-of-field preview button or the lens’s AF stop button, you can apply AF with the following settings: AF area selection mode (p.104), Tracking sensitivity (p.132), Acceleration/ deceleration tracking (p.133), AF point auto switching (p.134), Servo 1st image priority (p.136), and Servo 2nd image priority (p.137). Useful when you want to change the AF characteristics during AI Servo AF.
*2: Onthesettingscreen,pre​ssthe<B>buttonto display the detailed settings screen. Turn the <5> or <6> dial to select the function to be registered, then press <0> to add a checkmark [X]. When you select a function and press <0>, you can adjust the setting. By pressing the <L> button, you can revert the settings to their defaults.

(Sorry, this didn't copy/paste well)

So again, you can set up your * or AF-ON for one shot or AI SERVO with say, 1 single point or 5 point expansion or whatever. Then you can program the DOF preview button for an entirely different set of characteristics that involve all or some of the available settings. I have mine set to keep the same AF characteristics except the AF selection which I have set to a larger AF selection area. And again, you can customize your * and AF-ON in combination with your DOF preview differently for each custom setting dial position (C1, C2, C3) as well as generally for the advanced shooting modes so you'll be able to program more customs AF functions than you're likely to remember. When shooting wildlife it is extremely valuable to be able to track something in AI SERVO while having the ability to move between completely different sets of AF characteristics seamlessly.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this. I'll take another look today and see if I can implement. It's pretty daunting trying to keep in mind everything you can customize!

EDIT: yep, totally awesome, just changed the function of my DOF button to switch to Large Zone AF. Really cool, best tip I've learned in a while.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,389 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 08, 2018 07:05 |  #4472

Both my 5D4 and 7D2 are set so the AF-ON os AI Servo kicks in. I select my AF mode and case which is typically single or expansion and case 2. The * button is set for AI Servo, 61/65 point zone and case 6. I toggle back and forth depending on the situation.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,389 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 08, 2018 07:07 |  #4473

digital paradise wrote in post #18558615 (external link)
So that is in zone AF for 5 and 6?

I asked in case other try this. iTR only works in zone AF.

Image Editing OK

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,863 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 6 months ago by nqjudo.

Feb 08, 2018 07:17 |  #4474

digital paradise wrote in post #18559196 (external link)
Both my 5D4 and 7D2 are set so the AF-ON os AI Servo kicks in. I select my AF mode and case which is typically single or expansion and case 2. The * button is set for AI Servo, 61/65 point zone and case 6. I toggle back and forth depending on the situation.

Yes, that works well if it suits your needs but keep in mind that the DOF preview can also be used to change characteristics such as sensitivity, accel/decel, point switching, 1st/2nd image priority, etc. selectively without changing you AF point selection at all. This can be very useful for birding or wildlife where you want to keep your AF selection but a tweak to your other settings to the situation. I get this a lot when shooting around feeders when birds are moving in and out of cover or there are multiple species around that are different sizes, move differently and use different cover.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,389 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 08, 2018 20:31 |  #4475

nqjudo wrote in post #18559205 (external link)
Yes, that works well if it suits your needs but keep in mind that the DOF preview can also be used to change characteristics such as sensitivity, accel/decel, point switching, 1st/2nd image priority, etc. selectively without changing you AF point selection at all. This can be very useful for birding or wildlife where you want to keep your AF selection but a tweak to your other settings to the situation. I get this a lot when shooting around feeders when birds are moving in and out of cover or there are multiple species around that are different sizes, move differently and use different cover.

I tried many times and I could not get used to using the DOF preview for even checking DOF. Ergonomically that button has never worked for me.

Image Editing OK

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,151 posts
Gallery: 512 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 09, 2018 04:47 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #4476

I find it really well placed and of a good size on the 5D4. On the 80D it's a joke of a button, very obscure and hard to reach, I have to use my left hand to engage it.

flickr (external link)

Lt ­ Colonel
595 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 09, 2018 07:01 |  #4477

Swan takeoff

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5DIII, 6D, 7D2, 5DMKIV,1DMK4,EOS-M,1DX
https://woodawg.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

markesc
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Gallery: 262 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 09, 2018 13:12 |  #4478

MatthewK wrote in post #18558586 (external link)
Before photography, cars were my thing. They're no longer my thing because there's just no fun in being stuck in traffic every day, or worse yet, behind someone going 10mph under the limit on a perfectly twisty road. And I am cursed because every time I try to mod/repair/maintain the car, without fail something will go wrong and a small operation turns into a bloody nightmare. Too much stress, I loath to even think about attempting stuff anymore. Photography suits me so much better.

I still have my understeery/panicy Subaru STi though :-D Doesn't understeer quite as much since I changed out the sways/springs/shocks/s​teering rack/bushings/shifter/​tires/driveshaft/tune. It'll never feel like an S2k or Miata class of car, but I love the old girl. Can't bring myself to sell, even if I envision all of the awesome glass and 1DXII I could buy with the proceeds :twisted:

Yeah! I've been there, had an 07 wrx, changed sways/coilovers/bushin​gs/3 alignments/4 different tire types, and realized it's just not going to handle corner entry but instead heavily relys on the rear differential to rotate the car mid corner, so slow in, fast out without overdriving the front tires. Worse, the standard wrx's rear diff is simply, garbage, and didn't really rotate the car. I went the route of adding more power, because, I was young and it's easy to have a 20g bolted on + injectors + fuel pump + tune = 344hp/348tq. Enjoyed that for around 3-4 years then 3rd gear self destructed. I was done with it, no more money pit! Firesold for $7k and used that money for a downpayment on a 370z, which is slower from 80+mph, but I have much better compliance, corner entry confidence, and most of all, there's less motivation to put money into it as anything that can make a significant difference is a huge investment/not worth it (so it's an exercise in financial discipline), also, it's made me a more controlled driver, in that, I don't have GOBS of torque with a turbo just begging me to do stupid things! I do find myself pulling over more often, letting traffic get way ahead (ya know, the group that loves rock chips and tail gating on stock brake pads and uninspiring utility vehicles), then hitting the corners without breaking the speed limit or double yellow. That's the last "Fun" there is in driving for me!

markesc
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 09, 2018 13:19 |  #4479

nqjudo wrote in post #18558650 (external link)
I use the 100-400ii + 1.4TC on occasion. AF without the TC is noticeably faster. I also use a 3rd party 150-600. My observations are anecdotal but the 150-600 seems faster than the 100-400/TC combo as well. That said I don't see any reason why the 100-400II + TC would have had any difficulty in your scenario. You had good light and contrast there and the opportunity to focus before the subject moved. Please don't interpret my tone as antagonistic here but I find the declaration of wanting to switch systems due to problems with BIF a little unfortunate. It has been said so many times it is almost at the level of a cliché but it really is true... if you are taking bad shots with any modern camera (particularly the flagship model in any line) it probably isn't the fault of the camera. Before these advanced AF systems even existed people were nailing shots like the one you posted. All you have to do is browse the galleries of entry level bodies to see that just about any modern AF system is sufficiently advanced for a clean shot like that. I shot Nikon for many years. Simultaneously with Canon for several of them. The difference between the two was largely one of ergonomics for me. I encourage you to give Nikon a try. There may be some small thing that makes the difference for you but for the most part they are six of one and half a dozen of the other. In both camps you'll find that people who put in the time and practice get the results. The rest seem content to blame their equipment. There's no magic pill.

I get that completely: The camera was locked on the bird during the entire sequence, then as it dropped, I got 2 shots where the sky was the majority of the backround. Once the majority of the backround switched to the trees, that's where it refocuses, which, in this case, the bird was looking directly at me, so it was a shot that I really wanted, and would require less cropping. About 2 seconds later, it relocked (sort of) back on the bird as it pulled up slightly to look down for prey. I kept the 9 points of focus on the center mass of the bird the entire time, so I'm guessing that if at any minute point of time one of those points is on the trees, then it may select the trees because of contrast?

I regret deleting the out of focus shots, but this was the next one that came back into focus:

HOSTED PHOTO

KatManDEW
637 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 10, 2018 08:41 |  #4480

HOSTED PHOTO

Tvw
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 10, 2018 09:42 |  #4481

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4659/28405988889_7e28a2717b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Kh97​R8  (external link) Buddhist monks walk to the golden Kuthodaw Pagoda in Mandalay, Myanmar (external link) by Tim van Woensel (external link), on Flickr

Tim
flickr (external link)
https://500px.com/timv​anwoensel (external link)

2slo
Cream of the Crop
6,403 posts
Gallery: 540 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 10, 2018 13:12 |  #4482

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4743/40189746411_c48ef69a02_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/24eq​Xqg  (external link) Great Tit (external link) by Mark (external link), on Flickr

markesc
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 10, 2018 13:24 |  #4483

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Pippan
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 10, 2018 16:32 |  #4484

KatManDEW wrote in post #18560599 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by KatManDEW in
./showthread.php?p=185​60599&i=i161551721
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Wow, fantastic portrait!

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

Sdentrem
202 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2015

Feb 10, 2018 19:30 |  #4485

Northern Pintal, Nova Scotia, Canada.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

1,346,819 views & 19,777 likes for this thread
-= 5D Mark IV owners unite! Post photos and discuss.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.