Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 10 Feb 2018 (Saturday) 08:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

IPC Competition Images

Hannah'sDad
145 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 10, 2018 08:02 |  #1

All -

These are two shots that I am planning on entering into the National IPC competition this year. Any feedback or critiques is appreciated.

Scott

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Scott
Canon 5D Mark IV Gripped x 2, Canon "L" EF 11-24mm f/4L USM, Canon "L" EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, Canon "L" 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM, Canon "L" 200mm-400mm f/4 EXT, Canon "L" EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM, EF 1.4X III Extender (x2), EF 2X III, plus various other tripods, filters and bags

sponsored links
spitfirejd
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 10, 2018 18:46 |  #2

Very nice. The brown feathers on the first image seem a bit washed out. With so much contrast in the sky, it seems a bit out of place that there is little contrast on the eagle.

Jeff
”Your eye must see a composition or expression that life itself offers you, and you must know with intuition when to click the camera. The Moment! Once you miss it, it is gone for ever.” Henri Cartier-Bresson

Hannah'sDad
THREAD ­ STARTER
145 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 11, 2018 13:18 |  #3

spitfirejd wrote in post #18561063 (external link)
Very nice. The brown feathers on the first image seem a bit washed out. With so much contrast in the sky, it seems a bit out of place that there is little contrast on the eagle.

I got the same reaction from one of my mentors. He also didn't like the border/matting on these, so I have updated them. Below are the two revised entries. Comments are welcome.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Scott
Canon 5D Mark IV Gripped x 2, Canon "L" EF 11-24mm f/4L USM, Canon "L" EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, Canon "L" 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM, Canon "L" 200mm-400mm f/4 EXT, Canon "L" EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM, EF 1.4X III Extender (x2), EF 2X III, plus various other tripods, filters and bags

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,595 posts
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Feb 11, 2018 13:49 |  #4

HannahsDad wrote in post #18561469 (external link)
=Hannah'sDad;18561469]​I got the same reaction from one of my mentors. He also didn't like the border/matting on these, so I have updated them. Below are the two revised entries. Comments are welcome.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Hannah'sDad in
./showthread.php?p=185​61469&i=i175491671
forum: Birds

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Hannah'sDad in
./showthread.php?p=185​61469&i=i239252283
forum: Birds

The photos are great.

I really do not think the first border is good, it looks sort of "cheap", sorry. Second one is ok, but not great.

Why do you have to add border/frame/matte/pas​separtout at all? That is IMHO something that should be done by a professional (by print house, gallery, exhibition owner), not by the photographer.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

sidknee
871 posts
Gallery: 480 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 11, 2018 14:01 |  #5

A good photo should look good without any sort of border, if putting a fancy border on it makes it look better then it wasn't that good to start with. Or so I was once told!

Hannah'sDad
THREAD ­ STARTER
145 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 11, 2018 14:07 as a reply to  @ Pekka's post |  #6

See item #6 of this link http://www.ppa.com …ntent.cfm?ItemN​umber=1792 (external link). It is expected in the US IPC National competition that all images will have some sort of border/matte. I don't really know why, other than it is intended to represent the "final" image as it would be, if it were framed (or something like that). What about this border for the first image?

HOSTED PHOTO

Scott

sidknee
871 posts
Gallery: 480 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 11, 2018 14:29 as a reply to  @ Hannah'sDad's post |  #7

Personally I think the very first border is the least distracting because it has no bright shiny colours in it. My choice would be a 10 pixel dark grey line all around the image followed by a 150-250 pixel wide(according to taste) 18% grey. But that's just me.

Hannah'sDad
THREAD ­ STARTER
145 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 13, 2018 08:10 |  #8

Pekka wrote in post #18561492 (external link)
The photos are great.

I really do not think the first border is good, it looks sort of "cheap", sorry. Second one is ok, but not great.

Why do you have to add border/frame/matte/pas​separtout at all? That is IMHO something that should be done by a professional (by print house, gallery, exhibition owner), not by the photographer.

Pekka -

Are these any better? They are more in line with the generally accepted matting of PPA. Thoughts?

Scott

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Scott

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 13, 2018 10:43 |  #9

HannahsDad wrote in post #18562671 (external link)
=Hannah'sDad;18562671]
Are these any better? They are more in line with the generally accepted matting of PPA. Thoughts?

Way too fancy. . Why not just a border of solid black, even thickness all the way around, with no thin line anywhere? . All this use of creativity and options and double matting is just distracting and takes so much away from the image itself.

It is especially awkward to have a mat that is a different width on the sides than it is on the top and bottom.

If I were forced to have a digital frame because of contest rules, this is what I would do:

HOSTED PHOTO

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

767 views & 6 likes for this thread
IPC Competition Images
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.