Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 25 Jan 2018 (Thursday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need some help with a title and critique

Hannah'sDad
145 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by Hannah'sDad. (4 edits in all)

Jan 25, 2018 11:20 |  #1

All, this is another print that I am considering entering into the National PPA IPC competition. I can't seem to come up with a good title. Do any of you have suggestions? Also, I would appreciate any critique you might have. Again, I am looking at this through the 12 elements of an image meriting. So, I would really appreciate your critiques in that light.

Edit: I have added the original version so that everyone can see the difference.

Scott

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Scott
Canon 5D Mark IV Gripped x 2, Canon "L" EF 11-24mm f/4L USM, Canon "L" EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, Canon "L" 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM, Canon "L" 200mm-400mm f/4 EXT, Canon "L" EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM, EF 1.4X III Extender (x2), EF 2X III, plus various other tripods, filters and bags

sponsored links
Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,347 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited 6 months ago by Jarvis Creative Studios.

Jan 25, 2018 11:43 |  #2

I'm not a landscape photographer, so this critique may not be valid, but the first thing I noticed (besides the beautiful colors and scenery) was how unbalanced the image feels to me. There is about three times as much sky in the reflection as there is at the top of the image, which makes the image feel very top heavy. The top feels cut a bit close and the bottom feels like there is a bit too much negative space. That is my only critique as I think it's an amazing capture otherwise.

Just a random question that is not a critique, but why do so many landscape photographers put borders on their digital files?

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

Hannah'sDad
THREAD ­ STARTER
145 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 25, 2018 11:54 as a reply to  @ Jarvis Creative Studios's post |  #3

Thank you for the feedback. The intent of leaving the unbalanced image with more water at the bottom, was to draw your attention to the water and the circularly around the water and to the mountains. I will try it with less negative space at the bottom, but what I don't want to get to is an image that is a mirror image of itself at midpoint.

With regard to the border, some sort of border or matting is expected when entering competition. Element 6 says:

"6.) Presentation affects an image by giving it a finished look. The mats and borders used, either physical or digital, should support and enhance the image, not distract from it."

So, that is why most images have some sort of border with a fine line that enhances the image and draws your attention to the color in the image (in this case, I used the sky, because that is the majority of the image). Hope this helps, and thanks again for the feedback.

Scott
Canon 5D Mark IV Gripped x 2, Canon "L" EF 11-24mm f/4L USM, Canon "L" EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, Canon "L" 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM, Canon "L" 200mm-400mm f/4 EXT, Canon "L" EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM, EF 1.4X III Extender (x2), EF 2X III, plus various other tripods, filters and bags

FPP
760 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 25, 2018 12:03 |  #4

My only criticism would be that, at the extreme right, there is a building which is being struck by the sunlight and thus is rather bright in an otherwise darker area. The brightness makes it slightly distracting.

7D Mark II, 50D, 17-55 2.8 IS, 100-400L IS, 10-22, Sigma 150-600 C, Sigma 150 2.8 Macro, EF-S 60MM f2.8 Macro, EF-S 18-55 IS, 28-135 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS STM, 580 EX II, Yongnuo YN-24EX, JasonC007 Diffuser Kit, Gitzo GT2531EX, ARCA-SWISS Z1, RRS B2 AS II clamp, Kirk L-bracket for 7DII, Kirk L-bracket for 50D

Hannah'sDad
THREAD ­ STARTER
145 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 25, 2018 12:05 |  #5

FPP wrote in post #18548676 (external link)
My only criticism would be that, at the extreme right, there is a building which is being struck by the sunlight and thus is rather bright in an otherwise darker area. The brightness makes it slightly distracting.

Thank you. That is not a building, but part of a tree. I will clone it out and put up a new image shortly. Good observation, though, and I appreciate it.

Scott

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
782 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Jan 25, 2018 12:46 |  #6

I like the photo but a few things jumped out at me on first impression.

The image feels like it needs more room at the top of the photo. If you had a bare sky I could understand cropping as tight as you did but with the nice sky that you had I think the image works better with the top of the tallest mountain not positioned so close the top of the frame.

I find the reeds and the tall tree on the right distracting and they are not adding anything compositionally to the image. I think (?) perhaps you were using the near and far bank as leading lines that pointed towards the mountains, but the line of the water is going towards the right 1/4 of the image and not towards the mountains. Also, because there is only a sliver of the reeds in the frame it feels like the reeds are inadvertently poking into the frame rather than an intended part of the composition. The tall tree on the right that is getting hit by the sun catches the eye and draws it away from being led up to the mountains.

The light hitting the trees on the far bank is gorgeous but it is so bright that it keeps the eye anchored in the center of the frame. Perhaps try decreasing it just a bit, particularly on the left edge of the frame.

I know you said you wanted to avoid a having a mirror image at the midpoint. I played around with it a bit by cropping out the tree/reeds on the right, a little on the left and bottom, and adding some sky on the top. To my eye this improves the composition but it does give it a more classic 50/50 reflection type of shot which you say you want to avoid.

Just my two cents :) Good luck in the competition.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,963 posts
Gallery: 357 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 25, 2018 13:59 |  #7

Somewhat along the lines of Bcaps I also find the reeds on the right distracting and they are not adding anything compositionally to the image. I would crop tighter on the right..

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

Hannah'sDad
THREAD ­ STARTER
145 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 25, 2018 14:01 |  #8

Bcaps wrote in post #18548706 (external link)
The light hitting the trees on the far bank is gorgeous but it is so bright that it keeps the eye anchored in the center of the frame. Perhaps try decreasing it just a bit, particularly on the left edge of the frame.

I toned down the left side some. Is that any better?

Scott

Hannah'sDad
THREAD ­ STARTER
145 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 25, 2018 14:04 |  #9

digirebelva wrote in post #18548764 (external link)
Somewhat along the lines of Bcaps I also find the reeds on the right distracting and they are not adding anything compositionally to the image. I would crop tighter on the right..

I can see what you are talking about, but I am concerned about bringing it in any further. I still want to have the right bank of the river in the picture and cropping out the reeds would give the impression that I was standing in the middle of the water when I took the shot. But I will crop it and look at it some more. Thank you for taking the time to critique it.

Does anyone have any ideas for a title? I'm still struggling with that one.

Scott

abacus022
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 25, 2018 14:13 |  #10

Not knowing the requirements for this type of competition, I assume you are allowed to clone out elements from the picture?

I just recall a winner of a NatGeo photo competition that lost his winning status when they became aware he cloned out a piece of trash on a rock.

Canon 7D mkII, 6D, 450D
Lenses: Tamron 28-300, Tamron 18-270, Sigma 150-500, Canon 50, Sigma 28, Sigma 2X TC
www.photographyByAbacu​s.comexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/abacus22external link

Hannah'sDad
THREAD ­ STARTER
145 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 25, 2018 14:35 |  #11

abacus022 wrote in post #18548783 (external link)
Not knowing the requirements for this type of competition, I assume you are allowed to clone out elements from the picture?

I just recall a winner of a NatGeo photo competition that lost his winning status when they became aware he cloned out a piece of trash on a rock.

Yes, in this case you are allowed to do anything you want to with the image. It is a print competition, not a photograph competition. So, you can clone out or clone in whatever you want.

Scott

Hannah'sDad
THREAD ­ STARTER
145 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 10, 2018 07:57 |  #12

This is my final edit of this image before I submit it for competition. I have taken everyone's comments into consideration. Thank you for the feedback!

Scott

HOSTED PHOTO

Scott

paul3221
Goldmember
2,407 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 10, 2018 09:19 |  #13

The second one is better. The first thing I noticed when I opened the thread is it looks a little muted. There are no real highlights, at least according to the histogram. It looks like it is slightly underexposed. If you compressed your histogram, and pulled it a little more to the right, it may "pop" a little more. Just my two cents...

Paul
5DII, 60D, 10-22, 17-40L, 24-105L, Tokina 11-16, and a bunch of other stuff.
Flickr (external link)/Fluidr (external link)
500px (external link)
Facebook Photography Page (external link)

Hannah'sDad
THREAD ­ STARTER
145 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by Hannah'sDad.

Feb 10, 2018 09:34 |  #14

paul3221 wrote in post #18560624 (external link)
The second one is better. The first thing I noticed when I opened the thread is it looks a little muted. There are no real highlights, at least according to the histogram. It looks like it is slightly underexposed. If you compressed your histogram, and pulled it a little more to the right, it may "pop" a little more. Just my two cents...

Thanks for the critique. I'm printing on a polar pearl metallic paper, so it actually does "pop" when printed. But, I will look into lightening it up some, also. I have also added the original untouched version to the thread so that everyone can see what has been changed. If anyone has additional comments, please make them now. The deadline for submission is rapidly approaching! Thanks!

Scott

Scott

Hannah'sDad
THREAD ­ STARTER
145 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 11, 2018 14:39 |  #15

I cropped this some and improved the highlights. Critiques welcome.

HOSTED PHOTO

Scott

sponsored links

1,760 views & 10 likes for this thread
Need some help with a title and critique
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.