Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 10 Feb 2018 (Saturday) 15:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stedicam vs motorized Gimbal

mikecox
89 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 10, 2018 15:13 |  #1

I am shooting a lot of video with my Canon D60 and D70 lately; mostly performance venues, and have discovered how difficult it is to get steady shots.

In an effort to address this issue I have discovered 2 distinct options, the weighted, gangly, Steadicam and the compact 3 Axis (motorized) Gimbal Stabilizer.

It seems to me that a motorized device would be more desirable; easier to set up, and use. While the weighted devices would be bulkier and more difficult to set up and use.

1. I wonder, do these devices do the same thing?
2. What are the advantages, and disadvantages of each?
3. Would I be well advised to go with the motorized versions, which is the direction I am leaning toward.

Michael :cool:
flickr (external link)
Canon 60D and 70D, Speedlite 430 EX II, PsCC, LrCC, and PrE 16

Cham_001
875 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by Cham_001.

Feb 10, 2018 15:37 |  #2

mikecox wrote in post #18560936 (external link)
I am shooting a lot of video with my Canon D60 and D70 lately; mostly performance venues, and have discovered how difficult it is to get steady shots.

In an effort to address this issue I have discovered 2 distinct options, the weighted, gangly, Steadicam and the compact 3 Axis (motorized) Gimbal Stabilizer.

It seems to me that a motorized device would be more desirable; easier to set up, and use. While the weighted devices would be bulkier and more difficult to set up and use.

1. I wonder, do these devices do the same thing?
2. What are the advantages, and disadvantages of each?
3. Would I be well advised to go with the motorized versions, which is the direction I am leaning toward.

---
any image examples that you are considering?
I would suggest a hands-on trial for you to decide - any chance of you doing that?
it has to be easy and convenient for you to use

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

loganmiller6
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 11, 2018 18:00 |  #3

Great question, and I have been in a similar boat before.

A few questions come to my mind in regards to which gimbal would be best for you: How close are you to the subject in most cases? What style of video are you doing (documentary-style footage only/no audio, performance recap/audio needed, etc.)? What style of music/what vibe (for lack of a better word) are you going for?

First and foremost, make sure you're working with a lens that has IS (Image Stabilization). If you don't have this, then you will have to resort to several other frustrating and possibly expensive options, only to decide that you still need a lens with IS. Get this first.

I have used a Shoulder Rig for a lot of the concert footage I have shot. The rig I got online was only around $150 from FilmCity. Look it up, it's great quality for a great price. But the main reason I bought this was because I was limited to this option since Follow Focus on my manual focus only rig was required, and I could use one hand to follow focus. This may not be a necessary rig for you if you have Auto Focus as an option. Also, get ready to feel the soreness in your arms and neck with a shoulder rig.

I have used a cheaper version ($100) of the Glidecam before, but this can only really be used for specific shots, and specifally wide angle pans or zooms. You probably wouldn't want all of your footage to look like you're walking around a venue, but rather focusing on the close-ups of the artists.

I have decided that the options that have the most flexibility and undeniable quality are 3-axis gimbals, namely the DJI Ronin M3 ($899) and Zhiyun Crane V2 ($399). Both operate very differently, but doing some research on these and looking at user footage is essential. There is certainly a learning curve to using gimbals like these. But they are some of the steadiest around for the lowest cost.

Hope this helps!

Musician, Photographer, Videographer, Editor, Recording Engineer
--Sony Mirrorless User--

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

301 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stedicam vs motorized Gimbal
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.