Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 17 Jun 2016 (Friday) 13:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best current laptops for photo editing?

Rodreguez
308 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 17, 2016 13:52 |  #1

Wondering if anyone experts have some sage advice to impart!

I've read some reviews that are quite pro - the Asus Zenbook 15.6" but I can't get my head around why on earth I would want a laptop with a reflective screen for photo editing?

Does anyone have any sound advice on my options? I'm willing to pay about up to £1000, *maybe* more for a real beast of a machine.

Needs to be at least 15.6", preferably 17.

Saw an HP Envy 17 in John Lewis - very sexy looking but no SSD drive. Guessing it won't quite cut it for editing 4K....

I was considering a Lenovo Y50-70 in John Lewis but from what I read it has an awful yellow tint to the screen?

MSI Apache looks good but lame battery life compared to the HP which has a huge battery life.

Does anyone have any opinions?

Thanks in advance...

View mein website:

www.rodlewisphotograph​y.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links
Damo77
Goldmember
4,585 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 17, 2016 20:59 |  #2

My ASUS Republic of Gamers laptop is excellent. The screen is beautiful.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Rodreguez
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 17, 2016 22:38 as a reply to  @ Damo77's post |  #3

Noted cheers. I like your tutorial videos by the way. Nice vibes.

View mein website:

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,697 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 18, 2016 06:02 |  #4

There is a computer hardware subforum here on POTN. You might get a better responce in there. There definatly seems to be a different set of folks posting in there, compared to here, although there is some overlap too. Picking the right subforum to post in can really help in getting a good answer to ypur question.

Personally my laptop has finally completly died, so I am in the market for a new computer for editing. I will not be getting a laptop this time. For any serious editing you need a decent external monitor, which limits you to location anyway. I'm still trying to decide between a custom build in a big case, and going to a decent 4K monitor (or maybe dual 4K even, with one a full on wide gamut, and the other a more basic one for web browsing and PS tool pallets etc). Or just getting one of the new 27" 5K iMacs.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Rodreguez
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 18, 2016 09:11 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #5

Interesting. I couldn't find a sub forum. Not looking at serious editing. Not final editing anyway. But rough work to be finalised of graded on my PC But maybe sometimes on the laptop when I get to know it. Just want a laptop as good as I can get it, so I can edit sometimes if necessary. A bit like with audio you can mix on headphones as long as you know what the difference is I think you can sometimes with a laptop. Like with my last laptop I was able to by turning the saturation and contrast up a touch.

Where's this sub forum then?

Cheers

View mein website:

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,697 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 19, 2016 09:49 |  #6

Rodreguez wrote in post #18043112 (external link)
Interesting. I couldn't find a sub forum. Not looking at serious editing. Not final editing anyway. But rough work to be finalised of graded on my PC But maybe sometimes on the laptop when I get to know it. Just want a laptop as good as I can get it, so I can edit sometimes if necessary. A bit like with audio you can mix on headphones as long as you know what the difference is I think you can sometimes with a laptop. Like with my last laptop I was able to by turning the saturation and contrast up a touch.

Where's this sub forum then?

Cheers

Well the Computers sub forum would be here, where the MODs have kindly moved your thread. Here by the way is the General gear talk-Computers forum.

The biggest issue with laptops for any work that involves colour or brightness adjustments is monitor viewing angle. Unless you can get a computer with an IPS screen, the brightness and especially the colour can change significantly with just a degree or two change in the viewing angle. That could eadily be a change of only an 1"/25mm. Hold the laptop on anything other than a desk with a good chair you can lose all chance of consistency.

About all I would want to do with a laptop these days would to be checking my RAW files for sharpness, focus, and general composition. Oh and potentially backing up files while on a trip. Anything else I'd rather wait. Given that I would not spend a lot on a laptop. I would just go with a basic machine and put the effort in to my desktop. This is based on my personal experiance, and is why my dead laptop is being replaced with a desktop machine.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,185 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 19, 2016 10:22 |  #7

BigAl007 wrote in post #18043953 (external link)
Well the Computers sub forum would be here, where the MODs have kindly moved your thread. Here by the way is the General gear talk-Computers forum.

The biggest issue with laptops for any work that involves colour or brightness adjustments is monitor viewing angle. Unless you can get a computer with an IPS screen, the brightness and especially the colour can change significantly with just a degree or two change in the viewing angle. That could eadily be a change of only an 1"/25mm. Hold the laptop on anything other than a desk with a good chair you can lose all chance of consistency.

About all I would want to do with a laptop these days would to be checking my RAW files for sharpness, focus, and general composition. Oh and potentially backing up files while on a trip. Anything else I'd rather wait. Given that I would not spend a lot on a laptop. I would just go with a basic machine and put the effort in to my desktop. This is based on my personal experiance, and is why my dead laptop is being replaced with a desktop machine.

Alan

Laptops are a mixed blessing. Besides the issues you mention, editing in Lightroom on a laptop is very slow. I often use my i7 laptop to review, cull and edit pics when travelling. Often this means going through 400 or more shots after a day of shooting. It just takes very long.

On a trip this past winter I decided to leave the laptop at home and manage with just a phone and tablet. My luggage was lighter, and I had more time in the evenings to enjoy the trip. But there were problems. Backing up photos with a tablet was hard. And coming home with 4,000 photos created a huge task on my return, when there are tons of other important things to do.

So there is no perfect solution for those of us who want a solution while travelling.

My current thoughts are to consider an ultrabook. They are much lighter than regular laptops, and since they run Windows, will read 128GB SD cards (tablets won't unless they are rooted). The downside is that ultrabooks are very expensive.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 22, 2016 04:36 |  #8

BigAl007 wrote in post #18043953 (external link)

Alan

I would totally agree on the screen issue.
Previously I had a Sony Vaio with their best screen, they had 3 full HD screens. Despite that, it was a nightmare, just changing the angle slightly and it was like a totally different colour rendition.
The new workstation is a god send! The 4K screen is brilliant.
The speed and the easy of moving stuff to archive, and even the download of a job.
I could never dream of moving back to a laptop for editing!

ImthinkmImcould say Inhad a nightmare building it with 3 faulty MBs and damaged CPU and 2 damaged 4TB drives.
Despite that horrendous experience, where All problems were faulty parts, and or inadequately packed gooods resulting in damaged items I would go through it all again to get this result.

The future flexibility is also a total godsend!

For editing, Laptops verses Workstations ... No contest! A moon apart!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,944 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 22, 2016 05:45 |  #9

I find it interesting that so many comments with laptop cons mention the display. Why not consider a laptop with an external display of one's choosing? That works well in my instance even in some instances being an advantage.

virsago_mk2
578 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 22, 2016 06:41 |  #10

I find it even more surprising that no one actually mentioned Surface Pro (2, 3 or 4) to the OP.
It's pretty much one of the better laptop for photo editing.
Powerful CPU options (i5 to i7), sufficient RAMs (8GB) & with the addition of the stylus makes touching up photos even easier.
My Surface Pro 2 is still going strong after 3 years of use.

Gear: Here | Portfolio: Flickr (external link)

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by bacchanal.

Jun 22, 2016 07:23 as a reply to  @ Rodreguez's post |  #11

I've been laptop shopping lately, so I'll throw in my $.02.

I'm currently editing on a late 2011 Macbook Pro 15" (glossy screen with external Dell Monitor). This machine needs to be replaced before too long. It suffers from a video card issue which crops up every so often, and the extended warranty expires at the end of the year.

The latest model Macbook Pro is an option of course, and a very capable machine, but I have a really hard time wanting to pay full price for a machine that was last updated in May 2015. It's anybody's guess when the next MBP update will come and what it will look like.

For me, I've been looking for something around 14-15 inches that I can use with an external monitor, be reasonably portable when needed, and capable of light video editing. These are what captured my attention:

Asus Zenbook UX501vw - This one stands out for Price/performance ratio and performance/battery life ratio, and performance/portabilit​y ratio.

Razer Blade - This appears to be an insane gaming laptop somehow crammed into a really nice looking 14" chassis. Looks amazing with a Geforce 970M, but the big concerns would be heat generation and fan noise...also a glossy screen.

Dell XPS/Precision 5510 - The XPS uses a Geforce 960M and the Precision models use Quadro cards. I personally lean towards the Precision models, because I think the Quadro M1000M is a little more balanced in this chassis in terms of heat and power requirements than the 960M, although it is a little less powerful than the 960M.

Dell Precision 7510 (or possibly 7710 in your case) - These sacrifice portability for some nice expansion and upgrade options. There are reports of some issues with the 1080P non-touch screen option.

Lenovo P50 series - This is as close to an old school workstation as you can find, with plenty of pro features (even a built in X-Rite colorimeter is an option. Definitely a different route than a Macbook Pro or a Zenbook, but you can pack a fair amount of hardware into it, and won't be lacking ports.

Macbook Pro 2015 - As I said, I don't think the current MBP ranks too high for value at the moment, but it is still an extremely capable laptop for photo editing, probably has the best trackpad in the industry, beautiful design and very portable. Honestly, if you're looking for a "light editing machine for travel and occasional use and you have the money, the MBP would be an ideal option. My 2011 (with an SSD upgrade) still runs LR just fine. It has a glossy screen, but it has a coating that minimizes reflection. You can find them ah BHphoto for a little less than you'd pay at the Apple store.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by bacchanal. (2 edits in all)

Jun 22, 2016 08:16 |  #12

virsago_mk2 wrote in post #18046719 (external link)
I find it even more surprising that no one actually mentioned Surface Pro (2, 3 or 4) to the OP.
It's pretty much one of the better laptop for photo editing.
Powerful CPU options (i5 to i7), sufficient RAMs (8GB) & with the addition of the stylus makes touching up photos even easier.
My Surface Pro 2 is still going strong after 3 years of use.

The Surface Pro 4 is probably reasonably capable, but it's kind of in a different class than the Zenbook UX501vw and other similarly equipped laptops. The top i7 option in the Surface Pro 4 is the 6650U, a dual core 15W chip with integrated Iris Graphics 540. In contrast, for about the same money you can get the Zenbook with a quad core 45W 6700HQ and a dedicated Geforce 960M...getting into desktop replacement territory. Of course the form factor of the Surface could certainly be seen as an advantage in certain applications.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

hunk03
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Mar 2016

Jun 23, 2016 09:29 |  #13

Maybe the answer is a Macbook

hunk03
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Mar 2016

Jun 23, 2016 09:33 |  #14

My current main machine is a MacBook Pro 15, I do image editing with Photoshop and have no complaints

http://pc4u.org …eo-editing-photo-editing/ (external link)

Ryan2tawfiq
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2018

Feb 11, 2018 22:47 |  #15

hunk03 wrote in post #18047808 (external link)
My current main machine is a MacBook Pro 15, I do image editing with Photoshop and have no complaints

https://www.toppctech.​com/best-photo-editing-laptops/ (external link)

Thank you for your reply. Would you please suggest me the best laptop under $200.:-)

sponsored links

3,274 views & 5 likes for this thread
Best current laptops for photo editing?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.