Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Feb 2018 (Friday) 22:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fuji X-H1 with IBIS

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,470 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 13, 2018 06:48 as a reply to  @ post 18562509 |  #16

Well the 'bulk' might be in the width as it's a few mm wider than the X-T2 with a little bit bigger grip, but that's the hardly bulky even with the grip. Anyway most serious video shooters will rig a camera so you are only really using the sensor to output to an external recorder. The grip has the headphones out and increases the record time to 30mins in one go. Really if you need to be recording video, seriously, get a real video camera. For basic situations and most shots 10mins of record time is loads. Depends on the application.

Full frame sensors ISO performance are good these days but not a patch on the GFX so if you need to shoot as 12800+ iso and get clean files with outstanding IQ that is where you should be. The GFX kills it over the FF cameras in that regard.

Canon 5Div is 800g without battery and card.
Fujifilm X-T2 is 507g with battery and card.

And lets not count the much bigger glass penally of full frame. For example the EF 35mm f/1.4 is neatly twice the weight of the XF23mm 1.4. So I'd fairly say that the Full frame cameras and lenses needed for a shoot are a lot heaver than the Fujifilm system. A LOT!

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom
Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

sponsored links
F2Bthere
924 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 13, 2018 06:53 as a reply to  @ post 18562509 |  #17

This camera is aimed squarely at non-Fuji users and represents how serious Fuji is about the video market. It looks like it is also covering the sturdy "ready for war photography" build. In general, it looks like Fuji has its sights on die-hard DSLR users. I think it is a wise move and it looks like the first of a new line.

I'm more in the Xpro2 line and would love to get a GFX, but I am happy Fuji is expanding the line. Very forward looking and should help expand the user base. The larger the Fuji base, the more options all of us will have.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,581 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 13, 2018 15:26 as a reply to  @ Two Hot Shoes's post |  #18

Kim no argument that my canon gear is heavier.

The Gfx is still quite a niche tool. Just recently had a chat with a friend of mine that manages a large local camera shop . What is interesting is most of the GFX bodies seem to be sold to deep pocket hobbyists more so than hired photographers. Locally the growing digital camera world has destroyed the older school professional photographers . Less work as technology makes high image quality easily and readily available.

For static slow moving subjects the Gfx is killer for sensor performance. A Nikon D850 with its high megapixels and incredible auto focus performance the GFX is least desired for sports, wildlife and fast-paced events photography. Photographers always has some form of crossed paths between specific applications. I don’t even shoot Nikon but I think the D850 is a well rounded universal application body. My 5d4 is almost par with the D850.

As for discussion sake the new bulky fat Fuji crop sensor body is venturing to DSLR territory or even possibly larger than A7Rmk3 size. The big disappointment is old sensor for a fresh new camera category. I still think the Xpro and Xt bodies will sell much more.

I sold my canon 35L and replaced it with the 35 F2 Image stabilized prime . Tiny compared to the L lens but image quality is absolutely outstanding. That’s a tiny lens compared to the L lens. But again yes my canon 5dmk4 is heavier but performance wise I have complete confidence in low light clean files and AF over my smaller Fuji system.

For me it will be a tossup between Xt3 or next generation with better sensor x-H1 mk2 (X-H2). IBIS just isn’t critical for my needs but nice to have ߘ

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,470 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 13, 2018 17:26 |  #19

AlanU wrote in post #18563000 (external link)
As for discussion sake the new bulky fat Fuji crop sensor body is venturing to DSLR territory or even possibly larger than A7Rmk3 size. The big disappointment is old sensor for a fresh new camera category. I still think the Xpro and Xt bodies will sell much more.

5D4 and X-T2 imaged below and the others below that, for a size comparison. Note the bottom right, a micro 4/3 camera, for size.

The 5D4 is 150.7mm wide the X-H2 is only 138.9mm wide

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Yes it's an interesting move from Fuji, the video features are interesting and you can see their focus with that in mind, including the Eterna profile, 200Mbps output, IBIS etc..

Locally the growing digital camera world has destroyed the older school professional photographers . Less work as technology makes high image quality easily and readily available.

I get work based on the quality of my composition not the quality of my camera. A better camera will never do that bit so really all this talking up of new tech making the job redundant if a bit of a fallacy. But for sure, the 'pro' photographer who owns a good camera, but really has no clue, will suffer big time as these days everyone can do what they use to demand money for. And it's not like Joe Blogs is out pitching ideas to clients every week either or building up [client] relationships over the long term. So yes high image quality is available but high quality imagery is something a little different.

I'd agree with the D850 being a very well rounded camera but it's no D5s. For AF for fast sports, I know where my money would be going. My Nikon toting buddy shoots both for that reason.

Anyway as long as we are unzipping and pulling it out to prove a point, I'll just plonk this on the table...

Colours are on brand

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom

Osa713
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 13, 2018 17:35 |  #20

Kim that last bit made me fall out of my chair.

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,470 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 13, 2018 17:43 as a reply to  @ Osa713's post |  #21

:-D

I know, it's huge when you see it up close, a little frighting even, but you soon get use to it. :-P

Puts things in perspective for all the pub talk (but that is still fun too all the same). Today I shot the promo shots for a musician and next week I'll be shooting a coupe of architect jobs - on non professional cameras of course.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,581 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 13, 2018 17:59 |  #22

That sensor comparison is amazing. The older Generation Hasselblad medium format sensors were cracking back in the day. I guess they are trying to figure out how to support such a massive sensor.

I guess the question would be more of how the electronics drive the sensor in Overall performance. Acquiring the composition in capturing it is also just as important As overall image quality.

I’m extremely curious what the street price will be for the x-h1. Since a battery booster is a must for my Fuji bodies it’s gonna be quite a substantial beefy body that’s not really small form factor anymore .

$9100 CDN including tax for the Fuji Gfx body is kinda steep for me. I think another 5D Mark4 or an Xt3 and a bunch of lenses is more sensible for me ߘ

Next couple weeks I think I"ll be going to the Fuji event locally Check out the new fat Fuji ߘ

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | TT685

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,470 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 13, 2018 18:16 as a reply to  @ AlanU's post |  #23

That blue is not Hassy but about a 4 hour drive further south [Hasselblad would, after all, be black].

F2Bthere
924 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 13, 2018 21:57 |  #24

The Gfx is still quite a niche tool. Just recently had a chat with a friend of mine that manages a large local camera shop . What is interesting is most of the GFX bodies seem to be sold to deep pocket hobbyists more so than hired photographers. Locally the growing digital camera world has destroyed the older school professional photographers . Less work as technology makes high image quality easily and readily available.
ߘ

While your friends statement is, no doubt, accurate, it doesn't tell the whole story.

The percentage of Pros buying Canon, Nikon and Sony are also quite small. Most cameras at the high end are purchased by amateurs with deep pockets. So it is ALSO true for high end Fuji cameras. But this is not outside of what we would expect.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).

F2Bthere
924 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 13, 2018 22:02 as a reply to  @ Two Hot Shoes's post |  #25

Two Hot Shoes:

I get work based on the quality of my composition not the quality of my camera. A better camera will never do that bit so really all this talking up of new tech making the job redundant if a bit of a fallacy. But for sure, the 'pro' photographer who owns a good camera, but really has no clue, will suffer big time as these days everyone can do what they use to demand money for. And it's not like Joe Blogs is out pitching ideas to clients every week either or building up [client] relationships over the long term. So yes high image quality is available but high quality imagery is something a little different.

Well said! In fact, personality (people skills) and ability to reliably deliver results are both higher on the list than the gear used, too.

C&C always welcomed...

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,459 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 13, 2018 22:07 |  #26

so I've been hanging on to my 80d .. and got a sigma 18-35 for it .. specifically for video..

because canons always had the least amount of work needed for color ..(usually the reds are bit too much ,, and sharpness needs some work(i'm talking out of Canon Dslr's i have no experience with their cinema cameras which i hear are much better))

i had an a7sii and an a6500.. both produced better quality video..in terms of DR , and crispness .. but it was always a struggle to get colors looking properly(for me as a super amateur ) ..

this is where my interest in this camera really has peaked..

with the xt2 , color ,, even with AWB is much better SOOC .. even in mixed lighting i'm finding the colors to need very little if any adjuting in premiere pro..

the problem with the xt2 is no touch to focus in video.. and so the camera always chooses what it thinks i want in focus.. and to manual focus. well native lenses are focus by wire so manual focusing is no fun..
would love to use the sigma but no aperuter control..

Fuji XT2 / Panasonic GH5 / Sony A7R3 / Canon t4i / Pentax K1000
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,581 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 13, 2018 23:24 as a reply to  @ F2Bthere's post |  #27

What happens when you match a great eye in composition with “better gear”???? Many would appreciate a camera that has fast AF with high iso performance even when they don't often need high iso application. Composition is a skill set that cannot be purchased but "better" gear in the right hands is something that can increase image quality (more DR, high iso). I've never felt I needed gear to inspire me in my photography. I actually enjoy shooting with whatever gear I own.

This is where I would admit IBIS in some cases can be a better tool. I can see myself rocking a new X-H1 but I will have to bite my tongue by adding a battery booster to the X-H1 and same sensor performance of an aging X-t2. I'll have to say my former Fuji X-t20 with 10-24mm stabilized lens would not have been able to pull off many handheld shots if it wasn't for stabilization. The X-H1 with current 24MP sensor is a total deal breaker though. I'll have consideration in the "X-H2" as I still wish for improvements in the crop sensor and AF performance in my fuji system. Regardless of what system I'm always seeking high iso performance :)

For a bulky setup I'll happily take an X-t3 with battery booster :)

Osa713
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 14, 2018 00:43 |  #28

This is sorta off topic but I have been really focusing more on composition and less on the technical aspect and I have noticed a shift in how I work.

At this point I am certain I could achieve similar results on an older Fuji body for certain shooting scenarios.

I love new tech don’t get me wrong but a lot of modern cameras made within the last three years have decent af and iso. Of course you have to pick the right tool for the job and new features can often land you the shot faster but at this point my setup is no where near “holding me back”. My signature is my mantra when approaching photography putting new camera bodies at the end of the priority list.

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 14, 2018 02:32 |  #29

I sold my canon 35L and replaced it with the 35 F2 Image stabilized prime . Tiny compared to the L lens but image quality is absolutely outstanding. That’s a tiny lens compared to the L lens. But again yes my canon 5dmk4 is heavier but performance wise I have complete confidence in low light clean files and AF over my smaller Fuji system.

For me it will be a tossup between Xt3 or next generation with better sensor x-H1 mk2 (X-H2). IBIS just isn’t critical for my needs but nice to have ߘ

I wouldn't consider the X-Trans3 "old". Fuji used the X-TransII for several years and across 6 different bodies with good sales success (and it's still a great sensor even by today's standards). The X-TransIII goes a step further in every direction than the X-TransII and it's only been around for a couple of years. Fuji waits for their main stills cameras to unveil their new sensors (with the exception being the X-E2, but really the X-TransII wasn't a big change from the X-Trans1), I'm betting we won't see the X-TransIII until we see an X-Pro3 or X-T3.

Of course the X-Pro2 and X-T2 will sell more... that's by design. I hope they sell much more in fact because those bodies represent exactly why I shoot Fuji. This isn't a new shift for Fuji, it's just offering a product to a wider audience. I don't get why you seem to be assuming that with the release of a new body all their other bodies are no longer relevant? That's not even true of Fuji's discontinued models which they continue to support for a long time.

AlanU wrote in post #18563098 (external link)
I’m extremely curious what the street price will be for the x-h1. Since a battery booster is a must for my Fuji bodies it’s gonna be quite a substantial beefy body that’s not really small form factor anymore .

$9100 CDN including tax for the Fuji Gfx body is kinda steep for me. I think another 5D Mark4 or an Xt3 and a bunch of lenses is more sensible for me ߘ

Next couple weeks I think I"ll be going to the Fuji event locally Check out the new fat Fuji ߘ

I really don't understand the higher needs for battery life to the point where it's a "must". How do you have your camera setup/used that you're chewing through battery that fast? I get that everyone shoots differently and has different needs, but I can only think of a couple of occasions where I've even needed to change 1 battery mid shoot (both were weddings). The fact that you keep saying that Fuji is only your leisure system further pushes my curiosity since I would think then the battery concerns would be even less of an issue.

I'd like to be clear that I never had an issue with my a7S batteries either, or any camera other than my EOS M to a small degree for that matter... so maybe I just have great luck with batteries or take less shots than I think I do :lol:

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,012 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 14, 2018 03:28 |  #30

Osa713 wrote in post #18563369 (external link)
This is sorta off topic but I have been really focusing more on composition and less on the technical aspect and I have noticed a shift in how I work.

At this point I am certain I could achieve similar results on an older Fuji body for certain shooting scenarios.

I love new tech don’t get me wrong but a lot of modern cameras made within the last three years have decent af and iso. Of course you have to pick the right tool for the job and new features can often land you the shot faster but at this point my setup is no where near “holding me back”. My signature is my mantra when approaching photography putting new camera bodies at the end of the priority list.

I'm certain you could too. At least, that's the theory I'm sticking with as long as I have my first generation X-Pro - and people love to rag on the AF with that camera. (Incidentally, I updated the Firmware last month and have noticed some big improvements in that camera. This is something else that's impressive about Fuji, and they do get credit for it but I think rightly so.) I would get better IQ for the same image with a newer body, but I don't think the older body holds me back much in the type of photography I do.

When I was working in theatres then things like AF and high ISO performance were important considerations but that isn't the case any more. A lot of great street work is, and always has been, done with Manual focus cameras and grainy AF (and I don't mean autofocus) film.

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

sponsored links

14,279 views & 141 likes for this thread
Fuji X-H1 with IBIS
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.