Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 08:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dealing with flash drop off on photos.

PMGphotog
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Post edited 7 months ago by PMGphotog.

Feb 13, 2018 08:46 |  #1

I recently was asked to shoot a wedding for some friends of mine and while I'm not a wedding photographer I agreed to do it as the groom is a musician friend who I've done live and promo shots for. Also they had a limited budget so couldn't afford the rates for a full time professional wedding shooter so I basically did it at cost as part of my wedding gift to them.

The ceremony shots and most of the group shots are fine but in some of them ( outdoor shots where I used flash for some fill light ) there is a noticeable drop off approximately one third of the frame from the bottom. ( caused by the flash being mounted on the hot shoe and the lens getting in the way )

What is the best way to approach fixing this?

A) Process the shot in Lightroom as normal then use a gradient filter to bring up the exposure on the bottom third?

B) Use the gradient filter then when it evens out the exposure proceed to process the shots as normal?

Or even,

C) Use Photo shop to create a layer of the under exposed third and try to even it out that way?

The flash drop off is approx 1 to 1.5 stops at a guess so using A) It almost fixes the issue but I can still see a subtle difference on screen.

Is there any other way to fix this issue that I've not covered above?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

EDIT : Turns out to be a sync speed issue rather than flash drop off. The processing issue is still the same though...

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/ (external link)

sponsored links
Redcrown
333 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 13, 2018 09:07 |  #2

I think you have the right, and only approach. Only thing I'd add is to shoot a "calibration" shot with the flash/lens combo on a solid and evenly lit object (blank white wall, out of focus). Roughly same distance and focal length of the real shots.

Then develop your gradient on this shot to make whole frame even. I think you will find that the lens shadow is a little darker in the center than at the edges.

Also, if you used a lens hood, try shooting without it in the future. The lens hood is usually the main culprit in blocking on-camera flash.

PMGphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 13, 2018 09:16 |  #3

Redcrown wrote in post #18562700 (external link)
Also, if you used a lens hood, try shooting without it in the future. The lens hood is usually the main culprit in blocking on-camera flash.

Yep, shot with a lens hood on a 24-105mm so the drop off is slightly curved.

Not planning on shooting any weddings at all in the future but will use your tips for any group shots going forward. Thanks :)

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 13, 2018 09:29 |  #4

I am a bit curious about what gear you were using. I just tried to reproduce the issue as I read it. Using an 80D, a shoe-mounted flash, and lenses from 8mm through 400mm with hoods attached, I can't make a 'hood shadow' show up in a photograph.

Gart
440 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 13, 2018 09:35 |  #5

If you are using a pop-up camera flash, your problem is most likely the lens hood. With a shoe-mounted flash (as per Tom above), the light beam should easily clear the lens hood.

Post one of the photos so we can see what you have.

Gart

PMGphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Post edited 7 months ago by PMGphotog. (2 edits in all)

Feb 13, 2018 09:39 |  #6

Can't post the shots as I've not sent them to the Bride and Groom yet but I was using a Canon 5DMII with the Canon 24-105mm f/4 ( Mark 2 version ) Flash on the hot shoe was a YN560II, However part of the issue might have been that I was on a chair shooting down into a large group. I kept the shutter speed to 1/200th sec so it wasn't a sync issue.

EDIT : Actually call me an idiot. Just went back into LR and noticed that on the affected shots I rolled the shutter speed to 1/500th sec at some points so it is a flash sync issue...Duh :)

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 13, 2018 09:48 as a reply to  @ PMGphotog's post |  #7

I didn't even know that was possible. Is the flash not fully compatible with the camera? HSS failure? Shutter issue? I only use Canon flash, but I'd have to set HSS or the camera will default to x-sync.

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
350 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 7 months ago by soeren. (2 edits in all)

Feb 13, 2018 09:49 |  #8

PMGphotog wrote in post #18562719 (external link)
Can't post the shots as I've not sent them to the Bride and Groom yet but I was using a Canon 5DMII with the Canon 24-105mm f/4 ( Mark 2 version ) Flash on the hot shoe was a YN560II, However part of the issue might have been that I was on a chair shooting down into a large group. I kept the shutter speed to 1/200th sec so it wasn't a sync issue.

EDIT : Actually call me an idiot. Just went back into LR and noticed that on the affected shots I rolled the shutter speed to 1/500th sec at some points so it is a flash sync issue...Duh :)

IDIOT :D thats the beauty og shooting with the GODOX om my A6000. No need to think about flashsync.........well untill you run out of power :)
But flashsync is an issue most have dealt with at one point and "always" when doing something important you cant recreate.

PMGphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Post edited 7 months ago by PMGphotog.

Feb 13, 2018 09:52 |  #9

Bassat wrote in post #18562730 (external link)
I didn't even know that was possible. Is the flash not fully compatible with the camera? HSS failure? Shutter issue? I only use Canon flash, but I'd have to set HSS or the camera will default to x-sync.

It is compatible as a manual flash only, no HSS, which would have been fine but for me forgetting to keep the shutter speed at 1/200th or lower. Schoolboy error on my part.

This is the flash in question - http://yongnuo.eu …flypage=flypage​.tpl&pop=0 (external link)

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 7 months ago by Bassat.

Feb 13, 2018 09:59 |  #10

School boy errors! That is funny. I call mine Al's errors. As Al Zeimer.

Forget card.
Forget battery.
Forget to remove lens cap.
Show up with flash bag, umbrella bag, and no "AA" batteries.
Not ensure lens 'clicks' in place.
Grab the wrong bag. I have two similar bags. Set one up for intended swim-meet shoot. The other is my Elan 7NE/28-105/550EX flash. I didn't even realize it until I opened the bag. Good thing I don't get paid for this stuff.

Thanks for letting me know I could blame all this on some random school boy! :)

None of this compares to the time shot (camera) some local ducks. My raw files looked good, but I could not for the life of me figure out why the LR6-produced JPG looked so bad. I posted, asking for input. Numerous and various suggestions were posted about how to properly do post-process sharpening. I spent HOURS in LR trying to make the JPG look better. Until someone noticed my posted JPG was not derived from the raw (un-processed JPG). They were in fact two different photos. Well, that explains the soft output! THAT my friend, is DOHHH!! moment.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,264 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 13, 2018 10:08 |  #11

PMGphotog wrote in post #18562719 (external link)

Sorry, sir. You fall far short of the true eye-dee-ten-tee standard. Making error and then finding error totally disqualifies you from consideration. Next time try blaming the stupid camera and expressing total disagreement at all other suggestions.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

PMGphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 13, 2018 10:13 |  #12

Bassat wrote in post #18562745 (external link)
School boy errors! That is funny. I call mine Al's errors. As Al Zeimer.

Forget card.
Forget battery.
Forget to remove lens cap.
Show up with flash bag, umbrella bag, and no "AA" batteries.
Not ensure lens 'clicks' in place.
Grab the wrong bag. I have two similar bags. Set one up for intended swim-meet shoot. The other is my Elan 7NE/28-105/550EX flash. I didn't even realize it until I opened the bag. Good thing I don't get paid for this stuff.

Thanks for letting me know I could blame all this on some random school boy! :)

:-P I'm pretty OCD about charging and packing batteries and equipment the night before and then checking again in the morning and on the way to the venue/location. And carry spare cards and batteries etc in my Wife's camera bag too just in case. I this instance I was distracted by trying to herd guests into position ( along with my wife and the groomsmen ) whilst trying not to fall off the chair I was standing on at the time :)

PMGphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 13, 2018 10:17 as a reply to  @ AZGeorge's post |  #13

:-P:lol::-P

There is a reason I don't shoot weddings and prefer to leave it to the pros. In this case I was the only option and felt obliged to do it. I can organise a drunk band post gig and get some nice shots without any issue, but 40-50 wedding guests wandering in and out of shot randomly despite my wife and the groomsmen trying to form them up got me a bit flustered and I forgot my sync speed. :)

Gart
440 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 13, 2018 12:27 |  #14

Good to see that you figured out the issue. When I didn't see a 5D in your gear line-up, I assumed it was pop-up flash.

Peano
Goldmember
1,712 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 13, 2018 13:42 |  #15

PMGphotog wrote in post #18562690 (external link)
Is there any other way to fix this issue that I've not covered above?

Can't really say without seeing an example of the problem.

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,136 views & 4 likes for this thread
Dealing with flash drop off on photos.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.