Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your setup and the final result!

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,553 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 13, 2018 14:41 |  #11056

agedbriar wrote in post #18562652 (external link)
So, is it all in the eye of the beholder, or not? :lol:

I posted that because it's the critics belief, as stated in their signature.

sponsored links
idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,649 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 6 months ago by idsurfer.

Feb 13, 2018 15:05 |  #11057

DaviSto wrote in post #18562939 (external link)
That's true ... but a thread set up on the basic premise that you show both the shot and how it was set up absolutely cries out for comment and discussion. Otherwise ... what's the point of it?

I think, if you submit to this thread, you should expect comment ... constructively and politely given, of course, but not necessarily universally positive.

If a posting is in "JUST KIDS 20##... Let's see them grow and learn", it's a different matter. Unless you have something nice to say about an image of someone's son or granddaughter, perhaps just keep it to yourself!

I hear what your saying. To that end, I don't see this thread as a place to offer unsolicited critique. Complements such as "Nice set up or cool shot" are another thing. I see this as a thread as a place someone can show their set up and final result. Wait....that's exactly the title of the thread! ;-)a

In fact there's a whole "Critique corner" in the "photography talk by Genre" sub-forum.

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Samyang 2/12 | Sony/Zeiss E 1.8/24 | Sony E 1.8/50
flickr (external link)

Feedback

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
854 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Feb 13, 2018 15:37 |  #11058

idsurfer wrote in post #18562988 (external link)
I hear what your saying. To that end, I don't see this thread as a place to offer unsolicited critique. Complements such as "Nice set up or cool shot" are another thing. I see this as a thread as a place someone can show their set up and final result. Wait....that's exactly the title of the thread! ;-)a

In fact there's a whole "Critique corner" in the "photography talk by Genre" sub-forum.

We all fear that place... :evil:

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,649 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 13, 2018 15:44 |  #11059

Angmo wrote in post #18563008 (external link)
We all fear that place... :evil:

Ha ha! No kidding......I'd NEVER post there! :-P

Cory
flickr (external link)

Feedback

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Feb 13, 2018 15:58 |  #11060

It's the constructive criticism that makes this thread interesting for me. I have plenty to learn about lighting.

"This was the set up, this is the result" ... then ... "Cool shot" type interactions generally provide very little that a person might find useful in building their understanding and skills. But I actually picked up a lot from the very brief discussion around Osa713's set-up and image before it was cut off.

I think aggressive criticism is wholly unwelcome and unwarranted anywhere on POTN but ... as I said before, there is not much point to a thread that is specifically about 'the shot and how I took it' if it doesn't feature any polite discussion of what could have been done differently.

Anyway, I'll leave it there. There's room for differences of opinion.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,649 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 13, 2018 18:14 |  #11061

DaviSto wrote in post #18563024 (external link)
It's the constructive criticism that makes this thread interesting for me. I have plenty to learn about lighting.

"This was the set up, this is the result" ... then ... "Cool shot" type interactions generally provide very little that a person might find useful in building their understanding and skills. But I actually picked up a lot from the very brief discussion around Osa713's set-up and image before it was cut off.

I think aggressive criticism is wholly unwelcome and unwarranted anywhere on POTN but ... as I said before, there is not much point to a thread that is specifically about 'the shot and how I took it' if it doesn't feature any polite discussion of what could have been done differently.

I totally respect your opinion, but totally disagree. That said, it’s really not that big of a deal. It’s still a good thread that I enjoy.

Cory
flickr (external link)

Feedback

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Feb 13, 2018 18:28 |  #11062

idsurfer wrote in post #18563107 (external link)
I totally respect your opinion, but totally disagree. That said, it’s really not that big of a deal. It’s still a good thread that I enjoy.

This thread is in a 'talk' section of the forum. It's supposed to be all about talking about images and how they were made. It isn't, in my opinion, meant to be a display thread for people seeking to garner 'likes'. I'm really not wanting to be argumentative but, in the absence of talk, having a talk thread doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Anyway ... I also enjoy the thread, a lot!.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,694 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 13, 2018 19:12 |  #11063

I like POTN because of all the opinionated busybodies.:-P

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
854 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Feb 13, 2018 21:23 |  #11064

windpig wrote in post #18563181 (external link)
I like POTN because of all the opinionated busybodies.:-P

Well, that’s what you think...!!!!

FINE!!!!

:grin:

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

F2Bthere
922 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 13, 2018 22:08 |  #11065

DaviSto wrote in post #18563024 (external link)

I agree.

People being jerks is not ok.

Posting threads and saying "you can only talk about my picture if you tell me I'm great" is not going to help anyone grow.

Finding the right middle ground is challenging, especially when maturity levels vary :).

If everyone were capable of being constructive and coming from a positive place, the world would be improved. :)

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
1,626 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 14, 2018 08:13 |  #11066

Too much reading not enough pictures in this thread......

I can't seem to find the original but I found a straight out of camera shot from this shoot. I used a single fresnel 1K spot for the lighting. The board that is the back ground was vertical so the leaf would hang well. The acorns were held onto the board with museum wax.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I try to make art by pushing buttons

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,085 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by chris_holtmeier.

Feb 15, 2018 11:11 |  #11067

I was inspired by K Soze's post to try my hand at a similar image.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-M33rH9B/0/4839efc3/X2/i-M33rH9B-X2.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …i-M33rH9B-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-dMxkH9p/0/6607184a/X2/i-dMxkH9p-X2.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …i-dMxkH9p-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,553 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 15, 2018 11:24 |  #11068

Crossing my fingers -?

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
1,626 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 15, 2018 11:26 |  #11069

chris_holtmeier wrote in post #18564415 (external link)
I was inspired by K Soze's post to try my hand at a similar image.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …i-dMxkH9p-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

It needs pine nuts. Just kidding Nice work.

I try to make art by pushing buttons

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,975 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by Phil V.

Feb 15, 2018 12:28 |  #11070

Well it could be argued that "Nice set up or cool shot" is indeed critique.

So are you suggesting it’s OK to critique so long as what you’re saying is positive?

If so; I suggest you go to a quiet corner and have a cold hard look at what you did.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

4,749,649 views & 8,023 likes for this thread
Show us your setup and the final result!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.