Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 10 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 08:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Computer Build - Small Case

RedCanyoneer
168 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 10, 2018 08:25 |  #1

Anyone done one recently? I’m looking for high horsepower in a mini ITX or micro ATX form factor. Uses would be Lightroom, photoshop and AutoCAD, plus everyday stuff. Looking for a starting point - recommendations on motherboard, processor, case, I can take it from there. Smaller size is important as I live in an RV. I don’t think I’m looking for a laptop right now.

For comparison, I’m also thinking of an HP Z2 Mini G3 loaded out - Xeon processor, 32GB ram, etc.

sponsored links
Hannah'sDad
140 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 13, 2018 06:31 |  #2

Are you looking for the new I7-8700K processor or would a 7th generation processor work? There are a lot of uATX motherboards out there for the 7th gen, but not so many for the 8th gen yet. I just built up a full ATX system, but I understand your need for the smaller case. I would look on line at a place called Micro Center ( we have one in Dallas) for ideas on cases, motherboards and video cards. I don't recall my case build, but my motherboard and video card are from ASUS and I am very pleased with it. Once you have narrowed down your ideas, you can order from Micro Center or from Amazon, but I have found both to have very reasonable prices.

Scott

Scott
Canon 5D Mark IV Gripped x 2, Canon "L" EF 11-24mm f/4L USM, Canon "L" EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, Canon "L" 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM, Canon "L" 200mm-400mm f/4 EXT, Canon "L" EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM, EF 1.4X III Extender (x2), EF 2X III, plus various other tripods, filters and bags

SkedAddled
Goldmember
1,678 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 13, 2018 08:30 |  #3

NewEgg (external link) is an exceptional vendor, and it's easy to search for components
based on a huge selectable list of criteria.

CraigΣ 10-20|Tamron SP 28-80|Tamron SP 60-300|Soligor 75-260|Soligor 400|Soligor C/D 500|Zuiko 50 f/1.8|More Manual-Focus glass
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

RedCanyoneer
THREAD ­ STARTER
168 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 13, 2018 10:26 as a reply to  @ Hannah'sDad's post |  #4

Just went to a microcenter yesterday near King of Prussia. I wasn’t overly impressed with case selection. The only small ones they had were cooler master.

I’m looking for as powoerful as practical. 8th gen would be great. Intel just announced their Hades Canyon NUC at CES. It might be worth waiting for. It’s touted as a gaming/VR rig.

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 13, 2018 09:43 |  #5

The NUC looks pretty cool and sounds powerful. But, the Silverstone SG13, Asrock X299 mini ITX mb (up 18-core, 64GB DDR4, 3 M.2 and full GPU card). Larger and heavier than a NUC, but undeniable power.

Just a thought. Available now.

alex66
220 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 13, 2018 17:16 |  #6

I would say that the smaller the case the more it needs good ventilation, loads of glass may look swanky but it does not do a lot for keeping the thing cool. Not sure who does a smaller form factor latest gen board, might be worth looking for any rumours of any upcoming ones and waiting.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

sponsored links

1,149 views & 0 likes for this thread
Computer Build - Small Case
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.