Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 11 Feb 2018 (Sunday) 10:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Online Film Developing

photosbytw
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 11, 2018 10:38 |  #1

I realize the site is dedicated to digital imaging of which I belong but as I have regained an interest in shooting film, again. Specifically, B&W. What's no longer available is anyplace I can drop the film off for developing............​...that said, I've been made aware that there are sites that offer these services online via mail.

What I need to know is the opinions of others who have experiences with this method of having the film developed?

I will be needing rolls of B&W in 35mm and 120/620 developed. I know I can develop my own but as I no longer have a darkroom/equipment, nor do I really want to deal with the necessary chemicals(which also have changed since the early 90's).

All thoughts/opinions welcomed.

tw

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,922 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 11, 2018 10:56 |  #2

I have used 35mm film from time to time for years. You can still drop it off at just about any major drug/big box store (CVS, WALGREEN, Walmart, Meijer, CostCo, etc.). The problem with them is you get crappy low-res scans and you do NOT get your negatives back.

I just bought another film camera (Yashica FX-D) and a supply of film. I have decided to send the first few rolls to: TheDarkRoom.com and see how they work. The do 35mm/120/220 and several other formats. They do print and slide processing. They will push/pull your film for a flat rate of $2/roll (other charge by the # of stops). They offer 3 levels of resolution, and price, for scans. They offer CDs and downloads. They return your negatives.

I haven't used them, yet, but I've done a bit of the homework. Next step: unbox my new FX-D, load film, shoot. Then I'll have TheDarkRoom.com show me their stuff.

Tom

photosbytw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 11, 2018 11:49 |  #3

Bassat wrote in post #18561364 (external link)
I have used 35mm film from time to time for years. You can still drop it off at just about any major drug/big box store (CVS, WALGREEN, Walmart, Meijer, CostCo, etc.). The problem with them is you get crappy low-res scans and you do NOT get your negatives back..

Agreed, NONE of the above, since I intend to scan the negatives to external hard drive where I keep my images plus I don't want prints.

I was aware of Photo Lab/The Darkroom and hope to hear of any experiences.

tw
www.photosbytw.net

Bassat
7,922 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 11, 2018 12:38 |  #4

I did some darkroom stuff about 40 years ago. I don't want to mess with that now, either. I looked into scanning negatives, but that looks like a giant PITA. I'm going to start by paying for mid-size scans and 4"x6" prints. I'll compare their scans to my scans of the prints and make a decision. If I can't get the quality from either of those, I'll dig further into scanning negatives, but I'm trying to avoid a ton of post-processing work. All in all, this is getting more expensive than I bargained for. Film body (Elan 7NE), 58mm, 67mm, 72mm, and 77mm ND filters are almost required. (1/4000 max and slowest film available is 200). At least I already had the glass!

New FX-D is coming with el-cheapo DSB/YUS 28mm, 50mm, and 135mm lenses. All very odd 55mm threads. Hope I can make something work. 1/1000 max on that body.

Tom

photosbytw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 11, 2018 12:57 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #5

I will scan(true, is PITA) myself as I #1 already have the scanner #2 will only scan selected images & #3 control the quality of the scan. I still have my Yashica TL Super w/50mm lens but as I now use Canon's 5d3, 5d2 and 7D with 8 assorted lens I pickup a film version of the Canon EOS Ti($20) that accepts those lenses saving me from having to purchase additional anything :p :p :p

tw
www.photosbytw.net

Bassat
7,922 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 11, 2018 14:07 |  #6

If you don't mind, which scanner do you use, and how do you convert the scan to a use-able image?

Tom

photosbytw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 11, 2018 15:08 |  #7

Bassat wrote in post #18561500 (external link)
If you don't mind, which scanner do you use, and how do you convert the scan to a use-able image?

I have an Epson v600..............it does decent job on the old photographs in my possession by setting to reflective, 600dpi, 16bit grayscale and I only use unsharp mask in the adjustments. I've been scanning slides. So, far I've had limited success. Set to film, type positive film, 2400dpi, 16bit color. Slides really need to clean from dust which tends to be magnetized and difficult to be removed by a blower(can or hand) and be mindful of mold and film that needs to be removed......DO NOT USE ANY CHEMICALS!!!!!! I did not learn that fast enough. Just starting to look at scanning negatives and don't have any useful information yet(all my negative were destroyed in 1983) as I'm reshooting with film.

tw
www.photosbytw.net

moose10101
registered smartass
1,579 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 11, 2018 21:55 |  #8

photosbytw wrote in post #18561353 (external link)
I realize the site is dedicated to digital imaging of which I belong but as I have regained an interest in shooting film, again. Specifically, B&W. What's no longer available is anyplace I can drop the film off for developing............​...that said, I've been made aware that there are sites that offer these services online via mail.

What I need to know is the opinions of others who have experiences with this method of having the film developed?

I will be needing rolls of B&W in 35mm and 120/620 developed. I know I can develop my own but as I no longer have a darkroom/equipment, nor do I really want to deal with the necessary chemicals(which also have changed since the early 90's).

All thoughts/opinions welcomed.

You don’t need a darkroom to process film. But if you’re dead set against using the chemicals ...

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,301 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by kf095. (2 edits in all)

Feb 12, 2018 14:15 |  #9

I'm surprised what Walmart accepts BW and 620 films...
Better to ask on ex-APUG, IMO.

My bet, for few rolls of 35 and 120 developed "on-line" you'll pay same price as for plastic tank and kodak D-76, fixer, Photo Flo.
No darkroom is needed.
Tank and reels are $33, photo flo, developer and fixer are another $30. By BH.
I was not developing in nineties, but this is what I started to use in 2012 and V500 scanner.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Scottboarding
515 posts
Gallery: 110 photos
Joined May 2016

Feb 13, 2018 21:38 |  #10

Walmart only does color negative as far as I know. I send my color film to The FIND Lab and have been extremely happy with them. I've never used them for black and white as my local lab does that for me, but if their black and white results are close to as good as their color results, I think you'll be really happy.

Gear: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

Bassat
7,922 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 13, 2018 21:40 |  #11

Scottboarding wrote in post #18563271 (external link)
Walmart only does color negative as far as I know. I send my color film to The FIND Lab and have been extremely happy with them. I've never used them for black and white as my local lab does that for me, but if their black and white results are close to as good as their color results, I think you'll be really happy.

Does Walmart send you back your negatives?

Tom

Scottboarding
515 posts
Gallery: 110 photos
Joined May 2016

Feb 13, 2018 21:58 |  #12

Bassat wrote in post #18563274 (external link)
Does Walmart send you back your negatives?

They do not! That is why I would never use them. All they send back are crappy 4x6 prints. That's all that will remain from your photos. I think The FIND Lab might actually be cheaper too.

Gear: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

Bassat
7,922 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 13, 2018 22:01 |  #13

Scottboarding wrote in post #18563284 (external link)
They do not! That is why I would never use them. All they send back are crappy 4x6 prints. That's all that will remain from your photos. I think The FIND Lab might actually be cheaper too.

That takes them off the table for me. I want my negatives! (Even if I never use them!)

Tom

ejenner
Goldmember
3,629 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 13, 2018 23:15 |  #14

I've used TheFindLab mostly (just saw others also mentioned them). I tried one other in CA that was good, can't recall the name now, bit for some reason I switched.

I also tried Walgreens at first for some test Superia rolls, at the time they still returned the negatives, and now I use a local drop-off place.

TheFindLab and other CA place are great, scans are good (maybe worth the extra for color negative film) and you get them relatively quickly via a dropbox. But they do end up more expensive mainly because of the shipping (they charge $10 to return your film, same price for multiple rolls - at least for 35mm). But then if you just get crappy 2MP scans and bad 6" prints, and no processed film what's the point of shooting it in the first place? If you are sending multiple rolls in the mail at one time it is going to be cheaper per roll.

So now I use a local drop-off. They are relatively cheap, but the scans are crap. Bad colors, bad resolution, artifacts, like the Wallgreens scans or worse. So I just get them to develop the film and then I scan it using a macro lens and lighttable and for negative film I convert in digital (which is not trivial, but doable).

I have heard of cheaper online places, but not from photographers whose opinion I trust.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

photosbytw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited 6 months ago by photosbytw.

Feb 14, 2018 14:28 |  #15

moose10101 wrote in post #18561784 (external link)
You don’t need a darkroom to process film. But if you’re dead set against using the chemicals ...

I do but only because it's easier for me. Chemicals? Besides my earlier comments...I have no place to recycle them.

kf095 wrote in post #18562199 (external link)
I'm surprised what Walmart accepts BW and 620 films...

I was not developing in nineties, but this is what I started to use in 2012 and V500 scanner.

Walmart, Walgreens , etc are not going to be considered. No one develops on site anymore...........it's all farmed out to the same processor........Fuji, who, as far I know or understand, will only provide prints(no negative) or scans that are useless.

Scottboarding wrote in post #18563271 (external link)
I send my color film to The FIND Lab and have been extremely happy with them.

A BIG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

ejenner wrote in post #18563317 (external link)
I also tried Walgreens at first for some test Superia rolls, at the time they still returned the negatives, and now I use a local drop-off place.

I have heard of cheaper online places, but not from photographers whose opinion I trust.

I actually worked at a Walgreens photo lab when they develop film on site and was able to follow the wishes of the customer when instructed. Now they just pay a teenager minimum wage to pass it on.

tw
www.photosbytw.net

sponsored links

1,813 views & 6 likes for this thread
Online Film Developing
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.