Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 09 Feb 2018 (Friday) 20:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any of these good enough for a competition?

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,353 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Feb 14, 2018 05:13 |  #16

I am a long way from being a master retoucher but I would like to have a go at editing number 4. Would just need the raw or high res jpeg.

sponsored links
pelooyen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,940 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 16, 2018 17:59 |  #17

So I have decided to go for #3 and #4

Here is the colour version of #3, as someone had asked, though I think the BW is better
and I have also did some skin retouching on #4

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

cheers, Paul
---------------
Flickr (external link) | My Website (external link) | Like me on Facebook (external link)
6D | 5Dc | 17-40mm L | 28-135mm IS USM | 70-200L f4 | 100mm f2.8 macro USM | MPE65 | MT-24EX | 580EX | Kenko extension tubes | 1.4x TC
| couple of umbrellas and softbox and other lighting stuff

zeus77
445 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Aug 2015

Feb 22, 2018 09:33 |  #18

Hi, I dont think that they are so good for competition/contest on pro levl. you can look some entrys from others so you decide on that.

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,353 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Feb 22, 2018 20:29 |  #19

zeus77 wrote in post #18569681 (external link)
Hi, I dont think that they are so good for competition/contest on pro levl. you can look some entrys from others so you decide on that.

Maybe... but I think it's an exercise worth doing as you learn a lot. :)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 23, 2018 01:45 |  #20

zeus77 wrote in post #18569681 (external link)

I wouldn't be so sure about that ..... that one image he has is really quite special.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

zeus77
445 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited 5 months ago by zeus77.

Feb 23, 2018 02:49 |  #21

George Zip wrote in post #18570103 (external link)
Maybe... but I think it's an exercise worth doing as you learn a lot. :)

That is ok :-)

zeus77
445 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Feb 23, 2018 02:54 |  #22

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18570247 (external link)
I wouldn't be so sure about that ..... that one image he has is really quite special.

I dont know but if I gona post images for competition this is level to compet :

http://www.shutterlove​online.com …ppi16x20/2017an​nual/#grid (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 5 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Feb 23, 2018 11:18 |  #23

zeus77 wrote in post #18570255 (external link)

Yes ...... but I believe that the OP's one image of the bride is right on par with those images, if not even a bit more compelling than most of them are. . In fact, if I were a judge ........

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

pelooyen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,940 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 23, 2018 16:34 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #24

thank you

cheers, Paul
---------------
Flickr (external link) | My Website (external link) | Like me on Facebook (external link)
6D | 5Dc | 17-40mm L | 28-135mm IS USM | 70-200L f4 | 100mm f2.8 macro USM | MPE65 | MT-24EX | 580EX | Kenko extension tubes | 1.4x TC
| couple of umbrellas and softbox and other lighting stuff

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 5 months ago by DaviSto. (2 edits in all)

Feb 23, 2018 17:19 |  #25

zeus77 wrote in post #18570255 (external link)

There are some technically superb images in those galleries. But my overall impression is one of excessively contrived subjects/compositions, and over-processed final images. Mostly, I did not like them very much, and ... had I been the judge ... they would certainly not have been prize-winners. I can accept that most of these images have been very methodically set up and posed ... but the extent to which any feeling of spontaneity has been driven out (by and large, although not always) is rather deadening. There is not a lot of joy in these pictures.

That said, there are also a few quite stunning shots that I would have been very happy to award prizes to.

I'd encourage pelooyen to submit to whatever competition it is that he is targeting. The chances are small that he will win a prize ... but they always are; there will be lots of good entries and most will not be winners. But there's certainly nothing to be be gained by not taking part.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

zeus77
445 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Feb 27, 2018 06:44 |  #26

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18570465 (external link)
Yes ...... but I believe that the OP's one image of the bride is right on par with those images, if not even a bit more compelling than most of them are. . In fact, if I were a judge ........

Its ok, I just expressed my opinion but Im not relevant. Pelooyen no hard feelings :-) If you do not send it you can not win in any terms :-D

zeus77
445 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Feb 27, 2018 06:47 |  #27

DaviSto wrote in post #18570680 (external link)
There are some technically superb images in those galleries. But my overall impression is one of excessively contrived subjects/compositions, and over-processed final images. Mostly, I did not like them very much, and ... had I been the judge ... they would certainly not have been prize-winners. I can accept that most of these images have been very methodically set up and posed ... but the extent to which any feeling of spontaneity has been driven out (by and large, although not always) is rather deadening. There is not a lot of joy in these pictures.

That said, there are also a few quite stunning shots that I would have been very happy to award prizes to.

I'd encourage pelooyen to submit to whatever competition it is that he is targeting. The chances are small that he will win a prize ... but they always are; there will be lots of good entries and most will not be winners. But there's certainly nothing to be be gained by not taking part.

Of course that pelooyen have to send photos. There is nothing wrong in that :-)

Marc ­ Bergreen
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 02, 2018 17:52 |  #28

I think the main challenge with competing with these images is that they feel a bit over posed. It seems like award winning photos often evoke a strong emotional reaction and I think these fall short a bit in terms of emotion. Just my opinion :)

Marc Bergreen
Colorado Adventure Wedding Photographer (external link)
Colorado Mountain Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links

2,229 views & 18 likes for this thread
Any of these good enough for a competition?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.