Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 13 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 16:35
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Do you want constructive criticism on your photos in the "Photo Sharing and Visual Enjoyment" section?"
Yes
71.1%
No
28.9%

45 voters, 45 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photography Forum, What's the Point?

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,250 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 14, 2018 00:54 |  #16

I think that if you post an image on a public forum then you have to accept any comments, good, bad or indifferent, whether asked for or not.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

sponsored links
DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 7 months ago by DaviSto.

Feb 14, 2018 04:31 |  #17

ejenner wrote in post #18563323 (external link)
I usually only comment on others if the photographer is clearly good. Good photographers are usually less defensive because they know they are good and so are less likely to care about your comment or take it personally.

That makes a lot of sense to me. I avoid 'constructively critiquing' images put up by photographers whose skills seem less well developed ... unless they have made it clear they would appreciate this. Why risk discouraging somebody? But commenting on or raising a query about a photograph taken by somebody who is clearly on top of their game seems fair, especially when they are posting images frequently. It's really instructive to learn why they made the choices they did ... and if you have stumbled on something they could have done better, a good photographer is not going to be offended or discouraged.

Whatever is being commented on, it's sensible and polite to begin with some positives. I'll only ever make unsolicited comments on an image if I think it's already good enough to be worth making better ... so there will always be positive aspects to offer a genuine compliment on. It's not difficult to do.

Gart's comment above on posters who put up images for C&C and then become highly sensitive if there is the least hint of actual critiquing rings very true. If somebody is just sharing their images, I can understand why criticism might draw a hostile response. But getting offended when not everybody who comments on a photograph put up for C&C thinks it's 'just perfect exactly the way it is' really is a bit daft.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,320 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 14, 2018 10:45 |  #18

Since then providing of opinion about photo has become not available on P.O.T.N? I'm not aware of it.
Nor I'm aware of specific part of the forum mentioned in OP.
I'm well aware of critique sub-forum. It is next to this sub-forum :)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,286 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 14, 2018 11:10 |  #19

kf095 wrote in post #18563601 (external link)
Since then providing of opinion about photo has become not available on P.O.T.N? I'm not aware of it.

I don't understand what it is that you are saying here. . Could you please clarify this statement (or question, or whatever it is)?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,320 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 14, 2018 11:33 |  #20

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18563619 (external link)
I don't understand what it is that you are saying here. . Could you please clarify this statement (or question, or whatever it is)?

It was given in response to this:
"The premise of the discussion was whether constructive criticism should be given in the "Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment" part of this forum."

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 14, 2018 11:55 |  #21

kf095 wrote in post #18563645 (external link)
It was given in response to this:
"The premise of the discussion was whether constructive criticism should be given in the "Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment" part of this forum."

Then why do you say that "providing of opinion about photo has become not available on POTN" ?

What makes you think that this is not available?

It may be inappropriate most of the time, but it has always been available, and still is, of course, available.

If you think that this has become unavailable, then perhaps you got confused at some point in this discussion and misunderstood what someone wrote.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,320 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited 7 months ago by kf095. (2 edits in all)

Feb 14, 2018 12:02 |  #22

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18563669 (external link)
Then why do you say that "providing of opinion about photo has become not available on POTN" ?

What makes you think that this is not available?

It may be inappropriate most of the time, but it has always been available, and still is, of course, available.

If you think that this has become unavailable, then perhaps you got confused at some point in this discussion and misunderstood what someone wrote.

Where exactly I wrote what critique is not available? I was far from it. One more time, even dedicated forum for critique is available.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 14, 2018 12:10 |  #23

kf095 wrote in post #18563686 (external link)
Where exactly I wrote what critique is not available? I was far from it. One more time, even dedicated forum for critique is available.

I think that when you wrote "since then" instead of "since when" I misunderstood what you were saying.

The use of the word you chose to use made it hard to know if you were asking a question or making a statement.

kf095 wrote in post #18563601 (external link)
Nor I'm aware of specific part of the forum mentioned in OP.
I'm well aware of critique sub-forum. It is next to this sub-forum :)

It is very important to me to always completely understand everything that everyone writes, and that is why I asked you to clarify your statement. . You have done so, and I appreciate that. . Thank you.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,320 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 14, 2018 12:35 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #24

My bad, Tom. :rolleyes: My ESL is bad...

It is interesting trend and not only on P.O.T.N. Just couple of days ago threads where demand for posting photos and no critique is allowed started to pop up on rangefinder forum...

I think, is comes from those who been under "liberal" education system. For example, in Ontario they don't want to fail kid as school and it is crippling its way to universities.
I guess, then people were raised like this they are not prepared to read - "sorry, but here is what I think is wrong in your photo".
This trend leads to weak, non-competitive society and boring if not mediocre photography, at least.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,315 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 14, 2018 17:55 |  #25

I think it depends on HOW you say it, not what you say. My day job is signing up people for a charity lotto through the bank. Now most people don't want a regular commitment or don't like handing bank details in a WallMart. Most are polite and honest about it, but some say the same thing in an offish tone, or wave their arms rapidly about to show displeasure. Some are rude. That's the same about CC. Be polite in giving it. Don't just rubbish someone. I have Aspergers, and at a gig I did I made a mistake. I started a thread about how I could avoid doing it again and did they think I was in the wrong. I got lots of CC about it offering advice over how to avoid doing it again. One guy came in aggressively saying I was way out of line. I knew what I'd like to have replied, but didn't feel I should. Luckily, several members responded by saying he was out of order and didn't understand my condition. I was grateful. CC must be constructive otherwise it's not CC, just criticism. With nothing to help the photographer improve, it's worthless and demeaning.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,259 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 14, 2018 19:13 |  #26

When I was just starting out, I sought out constructive criticism. Sometimes I still do, but I use the Forum that was created for that purpose; Critique Corner.
If I post in the photo sharing and don't see many "likes", I get the point, whether it's posted here or on flickr.

flickr (external link)

Pippan
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 14, 2018 20:18 |  #27

Larry Johnson wrote in post #18563992 (external link)
If I post in the photo sharing and don't see many "likes", I get the point, whether it's posted here or on flickr.

But it would be helpful to find out why people don't like it.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

Alveric
Goldmember
4,475 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited 7 months ago by Alveric.

Feb 14, 2018 20:22 |  #28

Pippan wrote in post #18564029 (external link)

There's no shortage of bad taste, which makes them unable to like greatness! ;-)a

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 14, 2018 21:34 |  #29

I personally would have no problem critiquing an image, regardless of which sub forum it's in. Granted I don't do it too often though. I've found that for people just starting out much of what those images may need lies not in technique but rather vision, and with some more experienced shooters who have taken the time to master shooting and processing techniques, I find that the issues I see are often of processing or lighting choices, and you'd be surprised at how much more defensive some of those people can be relative to a neophyte. Don't mention to someone that if they had moved the light to the other side of the subject they could have minimized the subjects crooked nose, rather than accentuating it. Or that their processing makes the skin look very unnaturally textured, they aren't going to want to hear that. :oops:-?:-) I've also found that if everyone is high fiving an obviously flawed image because "hot girl" then a critical comment will go over like a lead balloon. :-D

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,881 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 15, 2018 01:46 |  #30

Pippan wrote in post #18564029 (external link)

there's not a single photo in the world that everyone likes...so how do you decide how much weight to put behind those that don't like something...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,743 views & 50 likes for this thread
Photography Forum, What's the Point?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.